Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

>>> Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

• Please log in to reply
496 replies to this topic

#61 cotinkandy1  OFFLINE  

cotinkandy1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 1, 2006 - 10:18 am

any hints of a really cheap laptop?

cHECK WAL-MARTS ADD STARTING 11/5 BUT I BELIEVE THERE ONLY GETTING 8 PER STORE. I THINK ITS 399.00. NOT SURE OF ALL THE DETAILS.

#62 aztater  OFFLINE  

aztater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 1, 2006 - 10:40 am

thanks, but I'm looking for really cheap. lol ;)

#63 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

Super Ultra Uber Geeky BF Mod

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005
  • Location: Phoenix, Arizona, North America, Earth, Sol star system, Milky Way galaxy, Known universe!

Posted Nov 1, 2006 - 10:58 am

cHECK WAL-MARTS ADD STARTING 11/5 BUT I BELIEVE THERE ONLY GETTING 8 PER STORE. I THINK ITS 399.00. NOT SURE OF ALL THE DETAILS.

It's a 'one-time-only' sale, like the BF doorbusters, for $398. The Compaq Presario v5305wm. Not a BF laptop, but still good for those of 'ya who can't wait.

#64 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005
  • Location: Phoenix, Arizona, North America, Earth, Sol star system, Milky Way galaxy, Known universe!

Posted Nov 1, 2006 - 11:00 am

thanks, but I'm looking for really cheap. lol ;)

How 'bout $300? Do I hear $300? :eyepoppin

Patience. You might be pleasantly rewarded. :gdlicklips:

#65 g-man430  OFFLINE  

g-man430

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 1, 2006 - 11:05 am

Yes. There is a rumor going around that Best Buy is going to be a Toshiba for $300.00 and one for $380.00. If that is true, i'm getting the $380.00 one, because it has twice as much memory and is just $80.00 more.

#66 falling5tarr  OFFLINE  

falling5tarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 2, 2006 - 9:27 pm

Also, Sony VAIO FE770G Core 2 Duo for $700 which won't be a doorbuster. Did I mention, BB to open doors at 4am.

HOLY crap. I have been wanting a VAIO since god knows when. If that is true I will be outside after my turkey dinner for that. That is a great deal.

#67 mystikal1  OFFLINE  

mystikal1

Let the Force of GD Lead You

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 2, 2006 - 10:02 pm

A friend of my has a Sony and it seems to me that it runs very loud does anyone else have that going on ?

#68 miller205  OFFLINE  

miller205

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 3, 2006 - 10:39 am

The WM Nov 5th ad says a minimum of 15 of the $398 laptops per store. However, I called my WM today and inquired about what the earliest time was to purchase (the guy said midnight and that layaway would be staffed at that time) and he also mentioned that they had only received "like 10" of the laptops. I said "well, the ad said a minimum of 15 per store so I guess that was a lie". So anyone who is looking to get one of these laptops be prepared that the store may have way fewer than advertised.

#69 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 3, 2006 - 11:33 am

The WM Nov 5th ad says a minimum of 15 of the $398 laptops per store. However, I called my WM today and inquired about what the earliest time was to purchase (the guy said midnight and that layaway would be staffed at that time) and he also mentioned that they had only received "like 10" of the laptops. I said "well, the ad said a minimum of 15 per store so I guess that was a lie". So anyone who is looking to get one of these laptops be prepared that the store may have way fewer than advertised.

The ad says, in the fine print at the bottom of the ad, a minimum of 15 per supercenter store. Minimum of 5 per store at smaller store formats. I think you mentioned your store is a 24-hour supercenter, but even so, that 15 minimum is still just a guideline. Good advice to always check first.

#70 peachysquirt21  OFFLINE  

peachysquirt21

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 3, 2006 - 11:48 am

The laptop for Walmarts November 5th ad, that worth reselling on ebay? Anyone planning on doing this?

#71 Marcster  OFFLINE  

Marcster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,906 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 3, 2006 - 11:54 am

The laptop for Walmarts November 5th ad, that worth reselling on ebay? Anyone planning on doing this?

I don't plan on doing that.... But bear in mind that a lot of other people will be doing exactly the same thing! :cheesy:

You might find eBay to be flooded Posted Image with other listings selling exactly the same computer.

If you only score $25 after all is said and done, is it worth it?

#72 peachysquirt21  OFFLINE  

peachysquirt21

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 3, 2006 - 11:59 am

I don't plan on doing that.... But bear in mind that a lot of other people will be doing exactly the same thing! :cheesy:

You might find eBay to be flooded Posted Image with other listings selling exactly the same computer.

If you only score $25 after all is said and done, is it worth it?

Thanks for your imput. :)

#73 Marcster  OFFLINE  

Marcster

• 14,906 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 3, 2006 - 12:09 pm

Thanks for your imput. :)

No problem... Just don't be mad at me if nobody does what you are suggesting and they're going for $100 over what you paid for it... Posted Image
It's a crapshoot any way you look at it. Posted Image

#74 peachysquirt21  OFFLINE  

peachysquirt21

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 3, 2006 - 12:15 pm

No problem... Just don't be mad at me if nobody does what you are suggesting and they're going for $100 over what you paid for it... Posted Image
It's a crapshoot any way you look at it. Posted Image

Nah I wouldnt be mad at ya...

#75 falling5tarr  OFFLINE  

falling5tarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 3, 2006 - 12:25 pm

Do you guys think there will be any great deals on MacBooks? I really want one of those.

#76 Marcster  OFFLINE  

Marcster

• 14,906 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 3, 2006 - 12:34 pm

Do you guys think there will be any great deals on MacBooks? I really want one of those.

In my experience, there really are never any deals on Mac products. Apple is currently offering free shipping on Refurbished MacBooks.
http://store.apple.c...lm=CertifiedMac

As far as I know, CompUSA and Fry's are the only major chains that even sell Apple, once those ads hit GottaDeal, you'll pretty much know where you stand.

#77 Guest_ladakn99_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_ladakn99_*
  • Member since --

Posted Nov 3, 2006 - 2:34 pm

has anyone seen the laptop in the officemax ad? It looks good...EXCEPT for the screen size. and because it's so small, it's a double edged sward, because most likely it will make noise, and will have a slower RPM Hard Drive (4200 insted of 5400 or 7200). but the Battery Life should be great for that what do you guys think?

#78 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 3, 2006 - 3:00 pm

has anyone seen the laptop in the officemax ad?

It looks good...EXCEPT for the screen size.

and because it's so small, it's a double edged sward, because most likely it will make noise, and will have a slower RPM Hard Drive (4200 insted of 5400 or 7200). but the Battery Life should be great for that

what do you guys think?

Actually, according to the specs, the hard drive is 5400 RPM. And just cuz it's small, doesn't mean it's gonna make noise. Maybe a little from the micro colling fan on that Turion processor.

Some people prefer the smaller, lighter dimensions.

#79 LSoldevila  OFFLINE  

LSoldevila

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 3, 2006 - 3:46 pm

Watch out for Dell. Their reputation and customer service has not been on the positive side lately. If you have a Micro Center near by, they tend to have good deals for BF and the lines are not as long as in other stores.

#80 CBXweb  OFFLINE  

CBXweb

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 4, 2006 - 11:38 pm

I had two WM's within a 6mi radius that were getting 40-45 EACH

#81 daz  OFFLINE  

daz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 5, 2006 - 7:42 am

You won't find a BF laptop with a 7200 HDD. The Office max may be listed like the WM laptop is, the ad says 14" screen but it's actually 15.4 (tv's and computer screens are measured diagonally.) So the OM laptop may be 13.5" It appears to be a great deal, the reason I'm staying away is averatek? brand, will have the absolute cheapest (price and quality) components available.

#82 Guest_ladakn99_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_ladakn99_*
  • Member since --

Posted Nov 5, 2006 - 8:19 am

it's a 12" Screen, it was in today's ad for $749.99 and I go to officemax often and it IS a 12" screen, not a 15.4 or 14

Do you guys think the employees at walmart get their normal discount for employment.

ie: $400-15%(employee Discount)=$340

#83 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 5, 2006 - 10:20 am

Do you guys think the employees at walmart get their normal discount for employment.

ie: $400-15%(employee Discount)=$340

Walmart employees get their discount on sale and BF items as well. And it's 10%, not 15.

#84 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 5, 2006 - 10:26 am

You won't find a BF laptop with a 7200 HDD.
The Office max may be listed like the WM laptop is, the ad says 14" screen but it's actually 15.4 (tv's and computer screens are measured diagonally.) So the OM laptop may be 13.5"

The tech specs say 12". But, of course, I can't verify that cuz I don't have it in front of me. :D

It appears to be a great deal, the reason I'm staying away is averatek? brand, will have the absolute cheapest (price and quality) components available.

Was a lil' curious about that Averatek company myself. Never heard of 'em before. I dunno if they're a company that manufactures cheaper laptops or not. Maybe do a lil' research about that. :confused:

#85 jfire  OFFLINE  

jfire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 5, 2006 - 3:31 pm

If you are going to buy a laptop this year make sure it has a dual core proccessor. there is a reason why walmart is selling that laptop for under 400.00 It does not have a built in dvd burner and the proccesor it has is old technology.

#86 ihateshopping  OFFLINE  

ihateshopping

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 5, 2006 - 5:30 pm

If you are going to buy a laptop this year make sure it has a dual core proccessor. there is a reason why walmart is selling that laptop for under 400.00 It does not have a built in dvd burner and the proccesor it has is old technology.

Jfire, a dual core processor is overkill for someone who needs it to network to another computer and just use it for email, internet, and basic functions. And not everyone has $600-700 just laying around.

#87 daz  OFFLINE  

daz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 5, 2006 - 5:43 pm

Found a bunch on Nextag, about 1 review each, but with the options it has it appears to be a really good deal

http://www.nextag.co...t=1&node=300359

It appears it is the Howard Stern of notebooks...Amazon.com has abunch of reviews for different models of Averatec, VERY mixed, people either love it or hate it....

#88 jfire  OFFLINE  

jfire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 6, 2006 - 5:53 am

I see some people taking about customer service. One thing to rember when buying a laptop is to check on where there customer service operations are held. Hewlett Packard has a North American based service dept. So that puts then at the top of my list. I hope there are some good BF deals on them, cause a laptop is on the top of my list this year.

#89 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 6, 2006 - 11:06 am

Ladies and germs :tongue1:, without further ado, I give you ...

the BF 2006 Laptop Chart!

Lemme know what y'all think of the format for all the information. I'm tryin' to squeeze everything so it all fits on your screens. So 'ya know, anything left blank equals unknown information or info I couldn't find. Usually I get the detailed info from the manufacturer's website, but certain info sometimes isn't available. So far the chart only has the computer from the OfficeMax ad, but soon as more ads show up I'll update (I'll do my best to update it ASAP) and post here. I've also asked Brad to put up a link at the front of the thread so everyone has access to it.

Enjoy!

#90 migirlfriday  OFFLINE  

migirlfriday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 6, 2006 - 11:42 am

Thank you stationchief! :D This will help alot. Come on BF ads!! :gdparanoid:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users