Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

>>> Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

• Please log in to reply
496 replies to this topic

#481 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

Super Ultra Uber Geeky BF Mod

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005
  • Location: Phoenix, Arizona, North America, Earth, Sol star system, Milky Way galaxy, Known universe!

Posted Nov 26, 2006 - 7:26 pm

Well just found out that my 379 HP from Best Buy is missing the Express Card Remote Control, I don't know if it was a mistake from HP not putting it in there or from the Geek Squad when they did the check-up on the system.

That's probably because the $379 HP from Best Buy didn't come with a remote control. I think only the Circuit City HP media laptops came with a remote.

#482 masteryoda  OFFLINE  

masteryoda

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 26, 2006 - 7:52 pm

That's probably because the $379 HP from Best Buy didn't come with a remote control. I think only the Circuit City HP media laptops came with a remote.

hmm i remember reading that it came with a remote...:confused:
and it has media center edition on it.you should look into that studintx

#483 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005
  • Location: Phoenix, Arizona, North America, Earth, Sol star system, Milky Way galaxy, Known universe!

Posted Nov 26, 2006 - 8:30 pm

hmm i remember reading that it came with a remote...:confused:
and it has media center edition on it.you should look into that studintx

Not all versions of Media Center Edition come with the remote. There's different flavors and different things that come with it. 'studintx', If looking into this doesn't net you a remote cotrol you could buy the remote separately.

#484 artie852  OFFLINE  

artie852

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 26, 2006 - 8:55 pm

camped out at 6pm at my Best Buy I was 15th in line. Got the HP 379 Laptop was in and out in 30 mins had them do the free Geek Squad check to make sure it was working properly. Planning on maxing out the RAM in time for the Vista Upgrade, and look into the Core Solo Upgrade to Dual Core

Can you really upgrade the 379 laptop at BB to dual core? How much does it cost and is it worth it? Can you give me the model # for the processor. thanks

#485 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 26, 2006 - 9:49 pm

Regarding whether you can upgrade the Intel Core Solo to a Core Duo: I've bene doin' a lil' research about this and it seems you ARE able to upgrade the Core Solo T1350 to either the Core Duo T2050 or the T2250. Both the Solo and Duos run off the same chipset and have the same voltage and FSB speed. It takes some knowledge of computers so you don't completely destroy your new laptop, and of course it'll void your new warranty. But just to let'cha know, it is possible. Possibly even for the the $379 HP from Best Buy, which has the Solo T1350. Sometime I'll se if I can find something online that shows exactly how to do that for all us tekkie-geeks. :D

#486 studintx  OFFLINE  

studintx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 26, 2006 - 10:32 pm

Well talked to a friend who got the identical notebook and hers DID come with a remote. Went up to BB and spoke to a manager told them that I had the Geek Squad look at my computer and that when I got home the remote was missing, after talking with them they told me to call HP directly and see If I can get it resolved through them directly. Long story short, They are going to FedEx me a remote next day for free....

#487 artie852  OFFLINE  

artie852

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 26, 2006 - 10:37 pm

Well talked to a friend who got the identical notebook and hers DID come with a remote. Went up to BB and spoke to a manager told them that I had the Geek Squad look at my computer and that when I got home the remote was missing, after talking with them they told me to call HP directly and see If I can get it resolved through them directly. Long story short, They are going to FedEx me a remote next day for free....

Mine did nto come with a remote either. WHat number did you call.

#488 studintx  OFFLINE  

studintx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 26, 2006 - 10:53 pm

I called the number on the Hp website 800-HP invent or 800-474-6836 They are open 24/7 got a nice customer service lady from overseas. Make sure your computer is registered first that way they can bring up your info with your phone number you registered. Let them know you need the HP Remote Control Express Card. Then they should transfer your call to someone who confirms your infomation about shipping, then they e-mail you your Order Number.

#489 93usma  OFFLINE  

93usma

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 27, 2006 - 4:59 am

went by BB in Knoxville at 10:45pm, already 50 people in line, CC in west knoxville had about 30, so went to Office Depot at 11pm. I was the 9th person in line...kept fingers crossed (ad said minimum 3 per store for the 299 toshiba satellite after MIR). Line there only started to grow at 2am (for the 10th person), then grew considerably at about 4:30 am (i guess after BB and CC line realized they weren't getting the cheap laptop). They handed out vouchers at around 5:30am, and instead of just 3, they had 10. I ended up getting the 7th voucher (people didn't realize it was 499 with 200 MIR, so they didn't have the cash/VISA to account for the difference). All in all, a rewarding experience - got what I wanted. The smaller B+M seems to have smaller lines...just my 10 cents worth

#490 kubisiak  OFFLINE  

kubisiak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 27, 2006 - 12:09 pm

I called the number on the Hp website
800-HP invent or 800-474-6836

They are open 24/7 got a nice customer service lady from overseas. Make sure your computer is registered first that way they can bring up your info with your phone number you registered.

Let them know you need the HP Remote Control Express Card. Then they should transfer your call to someone who confirms your infomation about shipping, then they e-mail you your Order Number.

Thanks for the info, I've called HP because I didn't get one either....but not being very techie, can you tell me what to do with it when I get it?

#491 kimeejo  OFFLINE  

kimeejo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 27, 2006 - 12:36 pm

Ive been thinking about a laptop, but not wanting to spend the money, well, Thanksgiving day you were able to order from BB online, and so I took the plunge! Am so glad I did! Got the 699 Gateway with Dual core AMD and 2 gig ram. It should be here thursday. I did not have to wait in line, had to pay $20 shipping and didn't get the free printer. All in all it was worth it not to wait in line all night. Did go to BB friday morn at 5am and the line was around the store! Texarkana, TX BB

#492 studintx  OFFLINE  

studintx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 27, 2006 - 1:50 pm

you can insert it into your express card slot when you're not using it and point it towards the front of the notebook where the headphones plug is and you can adjust the volume, dvd switch input and put your PC into Hibernation with a click of the remote...

#493 studintx  OFFLINE  

studintx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 27, 2006 - 1:51 pm

Just read Laptop Magazine and they had the HP dv6000 listed as one of the TOP Ten buys so makes me feel confident I made a wise choice....

#494 L239x  OFFLINE  

L239x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 28, 2006 - 9:41 am

I got the $249.99 Toshiba Laptop (L35-S2151) from Best Buy. It was suppose to have 512mb ram but when I check the specs on ours it only had 384mb ram. If you got one, I suggest you check and make sure you have everything it was suppose to have. I am going to call Best and find out what they are going to do about it. Edited to add ***** Just found out the the missing 128mb ram is used by the video card. All 512mb ram is accounted for. I'am happy again :)

#495 masteryoda  OFFLINE  

masteryoda

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 28, 2006 - 10:41 am

does anyone have a rough idea of how much it should cost me to upgrade my compaq from cc to 1gig of ram?

#496 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 28, 2006 - 12:24 pm

does anyone have a rough idea of how much it should cost me to upgrade my compaq from cc to 1gig of ram?

It should have just one 512MB PC2-4200 memory chip inside the thing. If it has a memory slot available, which it should, you can upgrade it with another one of the same type. Shouldn't be too expensive.

#497 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 28, 2006 - 12:25 pm

I got the $249.99 Toshiba Laptop (L35-S2151) from Best Buy. It was suppose to have 512mb ram but when I check the specs on ours it only had 384mb ram. If you got one, I suggest you check and make sure you have everything it was suppose to have. I am going to call Best and find out what they are going to do about it.

Edited to add *****
Just found out the the missing 128mb ram is used by the video card. All 512mb ram is accounted for. I'am happy again :)

Yeah, looks like you solved our own problem there. :razz: Remember, with most laptops the video memory you set your computer to use up is subtracted from the physical memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users