Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

>>> Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

• Please log in to reply
496 replies to this topic

#1 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 22,171 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 21, 2006 - 7:35 am

NEW!!! LAPTOP COMPARISON CHART

This is the official thread for Black Friday related discussion of laptops, regardless of if the items are actually in ads or not.

This post will be updated with information about laptops that appear in Black Friday ads as they are released.

As this thread will likely get very long, if you are responding to a specific question or comment, please quote that post to keep the thread easy to follow.

If you are looking for a deal before Black Friday on a specific laptop, post in our Deal Finder Service board and others can help you out.

If you are looking for gift suggestions, please post in our GottaDeal Gift Finder board.

Threads posted about laptops in the Black Friday Discussion forum will likely be merged into this forum, so to help out the admins and mods, please keep all discussion in this thread.

#2 Jimit87  OFFLINE  

Jimit87

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 25, 2006 - 10:11 am

What do you guys think? will Dell have a big sale this Black Friday? i am looking forward to buy a laptop, not those cheap one cuz they aren't so good, my honest opp. anyways, what do you think about this years dell coupons? will it be high low? any of you are looking forward to buy desktop/laptop on this BF? Discuss. Thank you.

#3 PhaserBait  OFFLINE  

PhaserBait

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 25, 2006 - 10:16 am

My Toshiba from last year's CC sale is still running fine. :) I would imagine Dell will do something similar to last year, but I'm not interested in a computer this year. I'm looking out for a big LCD panel.

#4 Jimit87  OFFLINE  

Jimit87

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 25, 2006 - 10:20 am

oh cool. if i don't get a new comp. then i will probably get a new GFX card. no need of LCD....yet.

#5 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

Super Ultra Uber Geeky BF Mod

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005
  • Location: Phoenix, Arizona, North America, Earth, Sol star system, Milky Way galaxy, Known universe!

Posted Sep 25, 2006 - 10:44 am

What do you guys think? will Dell have a big sale this Black Friday? i am looking forward to buy a laptop, not those cheap one cuz they aren't so good, my honest opp. anyways, .

Dell does most of their business online, so they probably won't have any 'day-of' BF deals or doorbusters or anything. Dunno if they have any specials for BF, but they have grat sales goin' on and coupons to download all year round.

I got the cheap $378 HP laptop from Wal-Mart last year and it's doin' just fine as an all-around 'puter. Just needed to upgrade the memory.

what do you think about this years dell coupons? will it be high low?

Well, not many coupons, but they got a bunch on online specials. Check around the GottaDeal main site and see what Dell's currently offering.

any of you are looking forward to buy desktop/laptop on this BF?

Already got my laptop. Lookin' forward to gettin' all the parts to my new desktop super-computer. :D

Discuss.

Done. :razz:

Thank you.

You're welcome. :cheesy:

#6 Rebirth  OFFLINE  

Rebirth

Half of My Heart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 25, 2006 - 3:38 pm

I don't think will have any BF sales. However, Dell does have coupons here and there. So watch out for those coupons at any given time. I already have a laptop but it wasn't bought on BF. Mine is Duo Core and it's fast. I also have Dell's accidental protection for 2 years.

#7 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005
  • Location: Phoenix, Arizona, North America, Earth, Sol star system, Milky Way galaxy, Known universe!

Posted Sep 25, 2006 - 4:23 pm

On the subject of Dell, I just saw an ad about their micro Core 2 Duo processor laptop on sale for $649. :eek: Not bad for a basic model. Might wanna go check it out now instead of waiting for BF.

#8 Jimit87  OFFLINE  

Jimit87

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 25, 2006 - 7:30 pm

oh cool. found great deal of info on this thread. thanks guys. keep discussing if you wish. :)

#9 da_17  OFFLINE  

da_17

• PipPipPip
  • 3 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 8, 2006 - 7:33 pm

What happened to Dell's deals? They used to be so much better. I was checking last year's coupons (for Inspiron notebooks), and they were around 30% OFF $999 or more, and sometimes even 35% OFF $999 or more. Since September the best they've had is 20% OFF $999 or more. Does any of you know if they will come up with better coupons sometime soon or from here to November? Thanks! By the way, I want to buy an Inspiron E1505, so if you know about any discount better than the 20% OFF they're offering right now let me know.

#10 mrn8  OFFLINE  

mrn8

Geekus Maximus

• 9,838 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 8, 2006 - 7:59 pm

The best time of the year to buy a Dell seems to be Jan/Feb. It's the end / beginning of their fiscal year and they try to sell like crazy to make their numbers look good. I've always gotten excellent deals for the company I work for on Notebooks and Desktops at that time.

Keep an eye out for new specials and coupons on the Dell Deals section of Gottadeal.

#11 Novac  OFFLINE  

Novac

Is it BF2009 yet???

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 8, 2006 - 9:20 pm

I've always gotten excellent deals for the company I work for on Notebooks and Desktops at that time.

Is that the Dell EPP you're referring to?

#12 mrn8  OFFLINE  

mrn8

Geekus Maximus

• 9,838 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 9, 2006 - 5:45 am

Is that the Dell EPP you're referring to?

No, I've gotten those deals through Dell Home, Small Business, and Medium Business accounts. EPP would be an additional discount!

#13 da_17  OFFLINE  

da_17

• PipPipPip
  • 3 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 9, 2006 - 3:27 pm

Thanks... I think I'll have to buy it at current prices, which aren't bad anyway.

#14 floridasun5  OFFLINE  

floridasun5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 7:48 am

Hi all....I'm in the need of a new laptop. I have always stayed with and loved my Dells, however I have heard good things about Sony Vaio's, although nothing specific, just that people love them, etc. I am NOT interested in any of the HP's, Compaq's or Toshiba's that are usually put out, but I know that there are always a few higher end laptops like the Sony's available on BF. Now, I'd like to get some peoples opinions that either have a Sony or have used one....should I wait for BF and try to get a Sony at a good price, or should I just order a Dell from the website? Are Sony's better than Dell's? Keeping also in mind that I will not have a shopping partner this year, so this is assuming that I can get to the store in a normal hour and still get one. Any opinions? I know the lower priced laptops always sell out as doorbusters, but I'm not sure about the higher priced ones. Thanks!

#15 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 8:02 am

Avoid Sony VAIO laptops, search Google.

NotebookForums.com is a good resource to research different brands and models.

I would stick with Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, Compaq/HP, and Lenovo.

#16 tmkuroda  OFFLINE  

tmkuroda

Laptop Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 8:49 am

Dell has better deals closer to Christmas then they do now but if you are not picky about wanting the newest bestest laptop on the market wait for the BF ads and see if there is anything out there that you want. I have the Toshiba laptop from CC last year and I love it. My son and foster daughter both have the WM HP and I am buying them memory for it this christmas but that is the only problem they have with it. BUT you have to get in line EARLY ( 10 pm the night before) if you want those big ticket items! Tina

#17 mystikal1  OFFLINE  

mystikal1

Let the Force of GD Lead You

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 1:43 pm

My wife has the Hp from Wal-Mart and it works great, but I did upgrade the RAM(same RAM as the Toshiba last year 256).

#18 BabyFu18  OFFLINE  

BabyFu18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 3:22 pm

I am still keeping my fingers crossed for a Apple discount on BF for the macbook (yes I know how crazy it is to hope for that, but I'm not giving up!), however if that doesn't come through then I am thinking about getting one of the cheap laptops on BF and updating next year to a macbook.

#19 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 17, 2006 - 1:47 am

So, who else is planning on pokin' around at the Vista-compatable laptops this year? That's the 64-bit and the dual core processor laotops. :D And does anyone else expect the 'lesser' laptops, like ones with Celeron and Sempron processors, to drop in price to make room for the Vista ones? I suggest y'all buckle up yourselves for the G-force the price drop on those is gonna cause. :eek:

#20 Reisch  OFFLINE  

Reisch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 17, 2006 - 6:18 pm

Stationchief, Will you be making a new laptop chart this year? :confused:

#21 huseboy  OFFLINE  

huseboy

Husegirl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 17, 2006 - 7:01 pm

That chart was great and very helpful for me. Thanks for taking the time last year and doing that. :)

#22 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 17, 2006 - 8:09 pm

Thanx for all the kind words, folks. That chart was made for the desktops late last year just before BF, so I really wasn't sure if anyone really noticed it at first. Yes, I will be making the self-proclaimed 'official' comparison charts for the BF laptops this year (desktops, too). Just waitin' for the first bits of info and the ads to come in.

#23 TheLegend  OFFLINE  

TheLegend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 17, 2006 - 9:56 pm

Avoid Sony VAIO laptops, search Google.

NotebookForums.com is a good resource to research different brands and models.

I would stick with Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, Compaq/HP, and Lenovo.

What's your objection to VAIOs, Ross?? Well.... other than all the problems Sony's had with their Li-Ion toast.....er..... batteries lately. :flame:

The wife and I have had one for about 6 years now, and got quite a lot of service out of it, despite the abuse it's seen.

#24 phlipaz  OFFLINE  

phlipaz

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 12:03 pm

Thanks kingdude and Missleading BB may be having 2 laptops for doorbusters this year. This is due to the high inventory on these laptops. Condition is "One customer cannot have both". 1. Toshiba/Compaq Celeron, 256MB, 40GB for $300 2. Toshiba Core Duo, 512MB, 80GB, DVD+RW, for $380 (Rumored to be Model: Toshiba A105-S4211) A Core 2 Duo may also be selling for $700 which won't be a doorbuster. __________________

#25 monkmonk  OFFLINE  

monkmonk

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 20, 2006 - 5:06 am

I am really interested in getting a laptop this year for fun, I am guessing I will have to get to BB pretty early to snag one. Or even Brandsmart.

#26 DebbieJordan  OFFLINE  

DebbieJordan

• PipPipPip
  • 2 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 20, 2006 - 5:37 am

We will be watching the laptops this year along with the PC's. I am assuming that a PC would be cheaper.....is this the case?

#27 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 20, 2006 - 5:51 pm

We will be watching the laptops this year along with the PC's. I am assuming that a PC would be cheaper.....is this the case?

PCs are usually cheaper when compared to laptops. PCs are rumored to go down in price for BF as far as $100 or less.

#28 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 21, 2006 - 6:34 am

Correct, desktops are usually cheaper than laptops.

This is just speculation but we'll probably see:
$99 - $149 desktop PC
$299 - $399 laptop PC

Just to clarify, by PC's you mean Windows desktops right? Not Mac?

#29 Novac  OFFLINE  

Novac

Is it BF2009 yet???

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 21, 2006 - 8:20 am

I think by "PC" she meant "desktop."

Some Alienware stuff is cheaper than Macs!

#30 Cheryll  OFFLINE  

Cheryll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 21, 2006 - 12:47 pm

What's a good size memory for the average user? I do not use for gaming just business and e-mail. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users