Stopping people who take cuts

tmkuroda

I was thinking that this year I would take along a perm. magic marker and write numbers on hands of people in line. Would this be a no no? How can we stop unfair line cutters? The reason I ask is that last year I was 6 or 7th in line and then at the last moment the first people in line brought out a car full of people stating they had been here the whole time which was a lie. I was standing in line at 10 pm and NEVER saw one person in that car! I was lucky I got the laptop but the gal that came with me was the last person to get one and 3 people behind her showed up almost the same time as we did so I felt bad for them. If that car full had not rushed into line they would have gotten the laptop as well.

Tina

Of course you'd have to get everyone in line to agree to write on their hand with perm magic marker...

I was thinking that this year I would take along a perm. magic marker and write numbers on hands of people in line. Would this be a no no? How can we stop unfair line cutters? The reason I ask is that last year I was 6 or 7th in line and then at the last moment the first people in line brought out a car full of people stating they had been here the whole time which was a lie. I was standing in line at 10 pm and NEVER saw one person in that car! I was lucky I got the laptop but the gal that came with me was the last person to get one and 3 people behind her showed up almost the same time as we did so I felt bad for them. If that car full had not rushed into line they would have gotten the laptop as well.

Tina

Would that ""cutting" also refer to people who are together, but take turns standing in line? We do that often, with the four of us that go together - but we don't cheat and have them show up at the last minute. We're all in it together, all the time.

Would that ""cutting" also refer to people who are together, but take turns standing in line? We do that often, with the four of us that go together - but we don't cheat and have them show up at the last minute. We're all in it together, all the time.

Unless you are occupying four places in line the entire time, to me that would be "cutting", especially when your place in line may determine whether or not you get a particular item.

Nope... I had brought my kids to be my relief..I live In Michigan. NO WAY could I sit outside ALL night without warming up. Like I said in the post I had NEVER seen anyone in this car until someone came out to pass out tickets. They were never in the line. I would ask if they had a partner with them before making numbers. I also had 2 chairs to hold me and my friends place. Do you have 4 chairs out there?

Tina

PS My kids ( 16 and 18) did come in the store and shop with me but I felt it would be cheatng if the got a ticketed item so they ran to get the non ticketed items on my list while I got the ticketed items.

You know as a suggestion, maybe talk with the manager of the store that you were at and mention what you observed, maybe they can come out at a particular time and give tickets to those items and of course if those people come closer to the opening time, they won't have a ticket and the manager should be strict about you need to be standing right there in line to get your ticket. You would need to talk with the managers now so they can set-up a plan if they so desired. If all the people were there when they first got in line and then alternated going back to the car than it would be known that 4 people or whatever the number was in line but there should of been more than just the one person the whole time. You would of known it if they were just rotating in and out. I hate cutters, geez, can't you all handle standing in line, personally I would hate to stand in line all by myself all night long than my friends who slept in come and join me later.....yuk

Last year those of us at the head of the line stuck together and fended the "cutters" off. I really think that more stores should do tickets for the hot items.

My advice is to make friends with the people you're in line with, they don't want to be cut in front of any more than you do, and stick together. That way if you have a car load of people swearing they were in line first this year, you'll have backup. Get loud! :D But the name tag thingy might be worth a shot too!

Last year those of us at the head of the line stuck together and fended the "cutters" off. I really think that more stores should do tickets for the hot items.

My advice is to make friends with the people you're in line with, they don't want to be cut in front of any more than you do, and stick together. That way if you have a car load of people swearing they were in line first this year, you'll have backup. Get loud! :D But the name tag thingy might be worth a shot too!

I DID make friends with everyone in the line. That is why this threw me for a loop! I saw everyone in line and even talked to these people in line at their car. The new people were not in the car.

Tina

Nice idea, but I seriously doubt you'll get everyone to agree to put a number on their hands. I've been going out over 10 years now and Im always dealing with people who rush the lines. Sometimes on BF we forget we are adults. LOL. Worst thing is its mostly women and older guys and gals. Scary

I DID make friends with everyone in the line. That is why this threw me for a loop! I saw everyone in line and even talked to these people in line at their car. The new people were not in the car.

Tina

EEK! This is a toughie- and having been in the middle of the line and ended up last in because of all the pushing, etc, I feel your pain. Last year I was second and kinda "hugged the door" so that's how I was in so soon. Other than a not-so-polite "EXCUSE you!" I'm not sure what you can do. Maybe you should get one of those real loud honking cans...it might surprise them enough to get you in the door ahead of 'em!

Walmart was a stand in line and rush the door afterwards my girlfriend told me since she, my hubby, and one child stood in that line. I was at CC and they handed out tickets to the people in line. Makes me wonder if I want to stand at WM this year or try my hand at the crazies in the BB line. Nahhhhhh cause where I live they put up tents at BB the night before thanksgiving when the store closes so they are in line for 2 nights.... No thanks!

Tina

Well the idea of giving everyone a number in line is fine, but it'll never work seeing as not everyone (not even the majority) would agree to it. I usually go to BB or CC first on BF and people always do rush the doors, but I'm not one who will fight to get to the front and I've been lucky enough to get what I'm going after most times.

my friend was just telling me that I am trying to save the world again LOL I have this thing about being fair and she said if your the first in line who cares about everyone else. I on the other hand think it was totally unfair to the people behind me.. What if I happened to have been just 2 people farther away in line and thought all along that I was getting that laptop ticket and had been standing in line since 10pm only to have some line cutter take that ticket away from me and they stood in line 1 hour before the door opened because that is when the people came outside to hand out tickets.. Should I feel the same way as my friend then? Because making sure the first 20 people in line aren't line cutters is gonna be hard to do.

Tina

I've had this dilema before. Last year me and 3 friends went to wait in line at Walmart, we were number 3,4,5 and 6. Every once in a while, one or two of us would go off to use the bathroom and/or walk to the dunkin donuts to bring back the caffiene fix for us all. Anytime one of us would come back, someone from the back of the line, who usually had just shown up, would yell and scream about cutting. We weren't cutting, we were just coming back. To me, being able to go to the bathroom and get coffee is one of the main reasons my friends and I go as a group.

We plan on doing the same thing this year, hopefully it'll be fine.

Oh...How do you feel about people who sell their place in line? I had 4 guys behind me sell their places for $100 a piece. They made about $20 tax free an hour standing in line.

Tina

WOW! That's a good idea for someone who doesn't want anything on BF. :lmao:

As long as the 4 guys get out of line and only 4 people replace them, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I am going to recruit my sons friends to help keep my place in line again. They did this last year and whinned about it till they got into the store and bought a ton of stuff their Moms asked them to get :) Teenage boys must love getting deals too.

Tina

Related to those who cut in line, I hate those people who come out from their cars right as the doors open and smoothly walk right in next to those who have been wating in line. Not only do they get in the store early, they never even wait in line. At least the line cutters end up waiting in line for at least a little while! :mad: