so which is the best laptop deal?

stingygrrl

toshiba at best buy

hp at meijers

compaq at circuit city?

o.max?

best bang for the buck on features, hd space and etc?

one, I forget which, doesn't have wifi built in

no compusa here :( if the meijers one and bb one are about the same, I guess the lines at meijers will be better.

oh, I was looking at the $5-600 ones. I know they are bottom of the barrel.. (I just gave my 6 mo old T41 to a sibling..) but that's really all I need. I just do email and entering data in an access database, oight web surfing, no games, prob use my desktop for image editing etc. A celeron 1.3 with 512 MB RAm will prob do the trick I would think.

I am also wondering the same. I don't game at all except for online poker. It will be used almost exclusively for email and websurfing. Light photo editing, and burning a CD occasionally. I didn't jump on the dell deal a few weeks ago, because i thought there would be a better deal on BF.

Any of the laptops will be better than what I am currently using. P2 500 with a motherboard that is on its death bed.

I'll try to look more closely when we get more solid info on the deals (ie not just rumors! :) ) but of the brands you listed, I hear the best things about Toshiba, as a brand - not based on comparative specs of the models you listed.

If you have the time, I would also recommend trying to see as many of these models in person (hands on) as possible in advance. In addition to the many good points above, notebooks/laptops tend to be a fairly personal choice. Are you comfortable with the layout, the weight, screen size, etc.

Yes, TOSHIBA has one of the best reputations in the business, especially for their SATELLITE line of laptops. They last a long time and are quite reliable i have heard. Stay away from the never heard of before brands. There is a reason you havent heard of them...lol

Compaq and HP are really one company with two names. They are very reliable as well and have been around a long time and will continue to be. I don't think you'll find any "generic" laptops, Zitadelle.

I bought the Toshiba last year and it still works, but I admit I don't use it often, maybe two or three hours a week.

Well, you may have to head out early (depending on where you live), but Best Buy's Toshiba for $500 (regular price supposedly $900), with no mail-in rebate needed, looks like a great deal to me -- Meijer's $500 HP laptop, while pretty much identical to Best Buy's, requires you to pay $850 up front and then wait for a $350 MIR.

--Mark--

thanks for the replies everyone. I think I might just wait and see what the next two weeks bring. I'm not buying it to resell and I remember last year, BB had a $850 Compaq Centrino in abot mid Dec. I'm sure that something like that will come up. I think we have to let the deals come to us, not go chasing mediocre ones, so I think I'm going to sit out the laptop deals on BF.

MY T41 was a Pentium M and I've decided that my next one will be too, for battery life etc.

I dunno what your budget is, but I configured a pretty nice HP 1000dv on hpshopping.com for just under $1100. Im going to be checking the deals from HP in the next coming of weeks...if I can get this puppy for under a $1k...I think ill get it.

I'm playing with a really cool dell Inspiron 8600--and I'm really hoping that the sale doesn't end before friday (i'm buying friday whether it does or not)

It has a Pentium M processor, 512 mb ram, 80 GB Hd, 128 MB video card and a DVD burner for $1298 :-) This is for my son, so I'm hoping it's a bit cheaper--my daughters was only $899 and I like for them to be a little bit even.

If the sale ends, then I'll just kick a few of the options down until it hits the right price point, but the video card is required.

yeah $1100 is like a regular price for these things. I want a hot deal!I saw that 750 off dell coupon but no one I knew, least of all ME!! :D needed a laptop last month so I ignored it. That's the kind of deal that I want! and it has to be about the size of a T41/600m. I certainly can't be seen with some clunky thing... :angel1:

Ok, probably a really stupid question--but what is an SB code? I tried to stack a Dellph code on top of the $612 off and it wouldn't let me--that's why I'm waiting till friday--I'm banking on them doing some sort of BF deal (I check every day LOL)

A SB code is only good for Dell's "Small Business" section, and not their "Home" section.