wher do you guys hide stuff until Xmas and how do you keep track of all of it??

digman6

I don't have kids but I buy tons of presents for my nephiews and kids from 3 families I babysit for. I have a list of things I want to buy and keep all of them in the basement. Since there is a lot of space and the presents don't cluttrer my bedrooms. I really don't have to worry about hiding them.

I have a huge storage closet I hid it all in. I just bought a new lock for the door this past weekend. I always loose the key by the next Christmas because I only lock the door when there are gifts in there.

I have to clean it out and get ready for presents. I think I am going to set a table up in there to make it easier to wrap this year.

I have a small room under my basement staircase. We have a padlock on it because my husband keeps his saws and sharp tools in there. We put the gifts in there. I keep track of everything on a pad of paper that I keep locked in the glovebox of my car. That way I can pull it out as I shop and write everything down and the kids never think to look in the glove box. ;)

I usually put stuff on layaway so that I don't have to hide it for too long since I don't have any extra storage space. I usually pick up my layaway the week before xmas so I take it to my mom's house and wrap and leave it there until xmas eve.

I have a box in the top of my closet with stuff in it, but it is starting to get full. I'm thinking I'll move stuff to the attic next. Of course last year I hid some DVD's from my husband and found them in March...:D Guess I'll have to figure out how to keep better track of those.

Our gifts from Santa are not wrapped so I don't have to worry about the writing on the tag.

I LOVE the spreadsheet idea. I just took an excel course so I am dying to see what I can do with all that packed in knowledge!!!! Right now I pick up a little 3x3 or 4x4 prial notebook, use stickers to make tabs and give everyone I have to buy for a section. I tape the recipts to the back of each persons pages and that keeps me pretty well kept.( not as well as the spreadsheet though, WOW I think I may have to convert.)

As or hiding them I don't have little ones running around the house. I just try to wrap as I go and usually hide a "surprise" gift under the pile under the tree.

the spread sheet thing seems to be working for me!:D I made colored columns and each kid has so many spots to fill once they filled I was set. they had until yesterday to make any adjustments. I went shopping put it on layaway a good chunk of it.

I cross off what I have at home or on layaway in orange and label "S" next to the things they want from Santa in red. I have now a envelope for reciepts and my list and I am set. Thanks for the great ideas everyone!

My DD is almost 2 so hiding stuff isnt much of a problem yet but I do have to hide from the wife. I have a very large rolling suitcase with a luggage lock on it that I change the combo to every year. I stash most of her stuff in there. Anything that I order online or ebay I have sent to my work where I stash it until close to christmas.

i have a spreadsheet that i take my receipts to after each shopping trip and add what i just bought and how much...i also color code it, red is bought, black is what i am looking for....this list comes with me everywhere...spending limits for everyone, i allow a $5 overage but if i'm under $5 i won't make up for it, i might add a big candy bar...

my kids are the only ones i will go over for

WOW! You are organized. I try to hang on to my receipts but most of the time I lose them. I usually end up placing them in my top dresser drawer.

I cleaned off the side of the fridge and found last year's layaway receipts from Walmart on the side. :lmao:

As funny as it sounds i have a storage locker room i rent for December.All my christmas stuff is put there.Wrapping bows etc.I dont want my kids to see any of it.They both 7 & 10 believe.After i shop its stored there and a few days before christmas i pack a lunch and spend the day their wrapping organizing and putting it into boxes so i can bring home.Chritmas eve i go get it and leave it outside the house till they sleep.This way the was no evidence of gifts in the house.It still works.:yawn:

I keep the small stuff in hidden in my closet and bigger stuff in the trunk of my car. This problem with the trunk of the car however is remembering that it is in there. Last year, I told me oldest to get something out of the trunk and he opened it and said, what is in all these bag? so, i immediately yelled, nothing and slammed the trunk. I need to find a better hiding place.

I keep the small stuff in hidden in my closet and bigger stuff in the trunk of my car. This problem with the trunk of the car however is remembering that it is in there. Last year, I told me oldest to get something out of the trunk and he opened it and said, what is in all these bag? so, i immediately yelled, nothing and slammed the trunk. I need to find a better hiding place.

LMAO - I remember my mom having the same "issue" when we were young!! I store all my christmas decorating stuff in those rubbermaid boxes, so i kind of shift them around and mark the boxes with presents with a little X. The big stuff goes to a friends house, who's husband has mercy on me and will put it together before they bring it over Christmas Eve after the kids are asleep!!:eyepoppin

Oh yeah i find every year present tags that are signed from santa and my wrapping paper is coded.I know which type of paper is for which child.Usually only use 4 different designs.2 for each child.It really works well.

Where do you find those tags?? "Santa" usually writes with the left hand!!!;)

I assign each kid with a number. I have three daughters so I usually go backwards so dd1 is #3. Then I use a small notebook and just number the pages #1 is youngest DD and so on. I do not write down what Ive bought exactly, I use code. So if I bought a Bratz Doll, I would write Btz and the price. So if they do find the notebook, they wont understand it anyway! Then to hide the packages, I just wrap them. I dont put tags on them until christmas eve so if they do find them, they wont know whos is whos but I do because Ive numbered them in a spot on the package theat they wouldnt notice! Usually where Ive taped the package :D

A few years ago I used an old non-working dryer that we had in our basement. (just hadn't gotten rid of it) and they really held alot of toys. My kids had no clue.......they don't even want to touch the laundry room door now and they are 10 and 13. But alas we have moved and will have to get real creative this year.......

Last year we redid daughters bedroom, we stashed dresser, castle shaped bed, 2 toyboxes, bedding and lots of other misc. in my husbands very small studio...he couldn't paint all week. We locked her out and let her sleep in our room in her tent Christmas Eve..worked like crazy to get it done and get a little bit of sleep before morning. It was kind of a rush and probably my favorite Christmas since I was a child!!