laptop question

Mara

Does anyone know anything further about this laptop at office depot? Toshiba Sattelite Notebook Computer (P4 532 w/ HT) - $1199.99

was looking for a product number or something so I can look up the full specs on it and see if its any good. Wow am I bummed I missed that deal at dell.

Are any of the other laptops good for gaming? Thats what hubby is looking for. Since he's Army he takes his laptop on deployment and everything and likes to be able to watch DVDs and play his games. He plays the high end games so we need a good video card and all that. I think we may have to just build one on Dell but I thought I should check the BF sales first. His old laptop didn't like the war and sand in Iraq :censored: time for a new one

ahh, still can't beat the dell deal from last month :), i got a 1600 laptop for 700 ahaha, toshiba is a good laptop manufacture, but the chip on their is a P4, that's gonna drain alot of batteries, forget about it, get a P-M it's much better.

Just keep reminding us about the Dell deal :splat: lol. I was looking at the Office depot deal on the compaq pesiario. I know nothing about those. Says you can customize it then get $430 in rebates. I guess thats not bad but I think my husband wants a newer video card that the 9000. Did find a $300 off a $1500 purchase at Dell coupon. Anyome got anything better than that?

Thanks

Just keep reminding us about the Dell deal :splat: lol. I was looking at the Office depot deal on the compaq pesiario. I know nothing about those. Says you can customize it then get $430 in rebates. I guess thats not bad but I think my husband wants a newer video card that the 9000. Did find a $300 off a $1500 purchase at Dell coupon. Anyome got anything better than that?

Thanks

the ati 9000 is not good enough... look for at least 9200 or 9600... my sony laptop has ati radeon mobility 9200 and plays doom3 effortlessly.... if you dont mind spending money take a look at the alienware things... most of them carry a hefty price tag... if you know what you want then you can always go for other brands... i would suggest a processor of more than 1ghz, ram more than 512MB and video card of atleast 64mb-128mb... yes, pentium 4s would drain your laptop like anything... intel been fighting with the heat and power problem for a long time... (many of us dont realize but power and heat problems are one of the major challenges in designing microprocessors. not only the laptop ones but the desktop processors too)...

cheers

how about waiting out for a while, i really don't know what you gonna use it for? and is it gonna be traveling alot? and if he games then forget about portablility because small laptop won't have good video card (look at the 700m or the 600m). And for the record i've never heard the 9200 to be any good, i might be thinking of the desktop version though, as the matter of fact, i don't think there's any power pack graphic card for laptop out there, but hey i'm a little behind on technology, so i might miss something there. so far i haven't seen any hot laptop deal for this BF, alot are just rumors, it hasn't been confirm yet :)

how about waiting out for a while, i really don't know what you gonna use it for? and is it gonna be traveling alot? and if he games then forget about portablility because small laptop won't have good video card (look at the 700m or the 600m). And for the record i've never heard the 9200 to be any good, i might be thinking of the desktop version though, as the matter of fact, i don't think there's any power pack graphic card for laptop out there, but hey i'm a little behind on technology, so i might miss something there. so far i haven't seen any hot laptop deal for this BF, alot are just rumors, it hasn't been confirm yet :)

Oh my husband is a must have it now type of guy. Getting him to wait is like pulling teeth. He has to go away for several weeks training so he wants it for that. So far looks like we might be going with a Dell. His grandma is giving him $1500 for a new one so thats what we have to work with. I am seeing a few decent deals on Dells and still hunting for better coupons. Thanks for the info :)

consider that 1500 blown on the laptop :) 1500 will get you a decent one though, money is not an issue here, 1500 can get alot of stuff in electronic, i guess you'll be going for a sony or toshiba, those are better quality than dell, only reason i got dell is because it's cheap on that deal, i perfer a sony, hey their brand mark even looks cooler than dell

Mara,

Something to consider when buying Dell is their small business division (which anyone can buy from) usually has better deals than their Home. However Dell Small Business charges sales tax in all states and Dell Home only charges sales tax in a few states.

Mara,

Something to consider when buying Dell is their small business division (which anyone can buy from) usually has better deals than their Home. However Dell Small Business charges sales tax in all states and Dell Home only charges sales tax in a few states.

Thanks for that tip. I found some online deals through Dell and managed to knock $620 off the price of a laptop from tham thats looking pretty good. We get a military discount with them so that helps some. My question is does Dell ever have any black friday deals? The deal I have ends right before black friday so I'm trying to decide if I should go for it or if I should wait and see if they do something on friday. Thanks again

Which laptop model, complete specs and price?

Here is what I came up with. What do you think. Any idea if they will do anything for BF that could get better than this?

Inspiron 8600 Qty 1

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 710(1.40GHz/400MHz FSB) 15.4in WXGA, Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Unit Price $1,988.00

Dell Home Customers: Save $612 off this Dell Inspiron 8600!

Limited Time Offer!

- $612.00

Catalog Number: 29

Module Description Product Code Sku Id

Inspiron 8600 Intel® Pentium® M Processor 710(1.40GHz/400MHz FSB) 15.4in WXGA LP14MHN [221-6766] 1

Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home WHXP [412-0408][313-2174][313-2208][412-0689][420-4766][463-2282] 11

Memory 512MB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms 512MB2D [311-3184] 3

Video Card 128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY® RADEON™ 9600 PROTURBO ATI128M [320-2902] 6

Hard Drive 80GB Hard Drive 80GB [340-9638] 8

Power Adapter AC adapter - 65w, 19.5v 65W [312-0176] 9

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem INTNIC [430-0493] 13

Document Management Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0 ADOBER [430-1048] 15

CD ROM/DVD ROM 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability 8XDVDRW [313-3090][430-1050] 16

Wireless Networking Cards Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps) IP2200I [430-0916] 19

Productivity Software WordPerfect Office 12 Microsoft Office Compatible IWPO12 [412-0713] 22

Security Software No Security Subscription NS [412-0734] 25

Digital Music Dell Jukebox - easy-to-use music player and CD burning software MMBASE [412-0691] 26

Primary Battery 72 WHr Primary Battery ADDBATT [312-0066] 27

Carrying Case Backpack Carrying Case BACKPAK [310-3952] 28

Limited Warranty, Services and Support 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr Technical Support ST111RR [950-9057][950-3337][950-3830][412-0361][960-2780] 29

Internet Access Options 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included AOLDHS [412-0585][412-0625][420-3224][412-0687] 37

Digital Imaging or Digital Photography Paint Shop™ Pro® Trial plus Photo Album™ Starter Edition DPS [412-0521] 38

Color Choice Red Lava QuickSnap™ Cover REDLAVA [310-3768] 60

Dell Media Experience Dell Media Experience™ DMX [412-0706] 115

TOTAL: $1,376.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's alot of unrequire stuff, and alot of require stuff that's missing, reconfig that one, processor are extremely hard to upgrade, so get the highest one you can get without breaking the bank, the 1.6Ghz has 2MB of cache instead of the 1.5 or below that has 1MB of cache. Take a 512MB stick or ram instead of 2, that gives room for expansion later if you want to slap on another stick. The 80GB HDD is over kill, window takes 2GB, so anything at 40GB is good, grab a 250GB external HDD for much cheaper. Ditch the DVDRW, newegg has the better NEC DVDRW for cheaper than what they ask for when you upgrade, buy that one from newegg and sale the DVD rom on ebay for some cash back, if you want the "centrino" sticker to look cool then ditch the dell wireless card and slap on the intel card :)

alll those things are from my experience and all the bad stuff is what's inside my laptop rite now hehehe. I would even suggest you to throw away your optical drive for a second battery, the reason is that the optical bay is removeable, so you can slap it on and off on the fly :), and one last note, that 8600 wieghts like a ton, i'm carrying my 600m and it's breaking my back, but it's just maybe that i'm weak :), i saw this little white girl carry a laptop that look like a CRT monitor, nothing wrong with her but i think she's just exceptionally strong.

one more thing, if u gonna spend that much then get a laptop from BF and upgrade, the problem is most laptop under 1000 bucks will have cheap graphic card, and that is a huge problem if you are into graphic and stuff.

Well a lot of the stuff in the Dell I listed was the best avalible for that model. The DVDR was a free upgrade so thats not costing me. I can't upgrade the processor on it any more. Got the best video card offered. Any idea where I could get something better for $1500? Its for my husband who mainly watches DVDs on it and plays his computer games. Weight won't bother him. He's in the army and very used to carting heavy stuff lol. Were trying to get as much bang for our buck as we can. So far that Dell was the best I have been able to find. Thanks

NVM then, i guess in your situation that's the best choice, have fun with the laptop :), if your husband is a gamer then weight wouldn't be a problem, most gamers don't carry the laptop around alot, it's mostly house to car, car to station and they'll be there for a while :).