The Main Event - Thanksgiving Dinner!!

Gator Pam

Last year, my husband and I had just moved from Louisiana to Ohio and we didn't cook Thanksgiving dinner. We ended up eating at a Denny's. lol

This year should be different though. We've located some of his family and it's a good chance that we will be having dinner at his cousin's house this year. So, I'll probably just be bringing a dish along.

In 2004 (Louisiana) though, I actually hosted Thanksgiving for the first time. For the turkey, I used a recipe in my Christmas with Southern Living book. It came out really good.

As for the foods I like on Thanksgiving, I tend to like the traditional foods such as, turkey, ham, dressing, cranberry sauce, homemade gravy, pecan pie, sweet potato pie, etc. I'll try something new, but I still need my old standbys.

we go out for Chinese food and then see a newly released movie

(they always release a new movie every year on Thanksgiving)

then I mooch leftovers from anyone for that to die for Turkey/stuffing/

cranberry sauce sandwich......:blush:

That idea sounds PERFECT to me...but the hubby would never go for it. He feels like he HAS to overcook and we all have to overeat or its not Thanksgiving!;)

Oh yeah! This reminded me that my husband and I also go see a movie every Thanksgiving. We actually saw two movies last Thanksgiving since we didn't have the big dinner and all.

I prepare two Thanksgiving dinners.

Since I am the activities programmer for the apartment complex (we refer to it as the 'Village') I live in, I cook Thanksgiving dinner for our complex the Friday before Thanksgiving. This year our sister Village has construction going on in their Commons Room, so instead of cooking for 100 people, I'll most likely be cooking for at least 200.

I only prepare the turkey (usually two 9-lb. smoked turkeys from Sam's Club, two 15 lb. deep fried turkeys, and one 20 lb. oven roasted turkey), the gravy, and baked potatoes. The rest is supposed to be pot-luck, but it's very diffcult to get the residents to bring anything.

We also provide soft drinks.

For our family Thanksgiving meal we travel to FIL's about three hours away. Beorn is off starting Wednesday this year, so we can drive down Tuesday night, I can shop, and start cooking on Wednesday.

My menu pretty much stays the same, but I do mix a few things up. I'll start planning my menu after Yom Kippur, and will post what I'm considering at that time.

I usually host because I love to cook and we like the leftovers for the next 3 days. I am just not sure who I will host this year. Our menu will include turkey, ham, candied yams, collards, green beans, succotassh, cranberry sauce, rolls, stuffing, mac and cheese, mash potatos, deviled eggs, watergate salad, fruit salad, plus deserts, coconut pie, chocolate pie, lemon pie, pineapple upside down cake, chocolate cake, apple pie, and any special request. I try to fix all the childrens favorites and like I said we eat left overs.

When we lived outside of Washington DC, going for Chinese was part of our Christmas day tradition. I would make a special Christmas lunch at home and then when it got dark outside we would go downtown DC and walk around the Ellipse and look at the National Christmas Tree and the Pageant of Peace trees. When we finished we would stop by our local Chinese restaurant and have a late dinner.

I thought Black Friday was the "main event"!! ;)

Aahhh...I was waiting for someone to say that.

Not in this part of the forum, which is strictly for non-BF holiday discussion. So in this area, Thanksgiving Dinner is the Main event, at least until we start talking Chr-stmas and Hanukkah.

I spend Thanksgiving (and other major holidays) with my dad's side of the family (aunts, uncles, cousins) at my grandma's house. She usually makes the main things (turkey, ham, awesome mashed potatoes, noodles, vegetable tray) and then everyone else brings something too. She never wants a lot of leftovers around, so we all get to take stuff home, too.

Well this will be the last year it will be "just the four of us" ... my oldest son is getting married in October 2007 ....

We have a very set menu ... I learned a LONG time ago - no changes to the Thanksgiving menu....

Turkey

Stuffing (in the bird)

Mashed Potatoes

Gravy

Green Bean Casserole

Cranberry Sauce ... homemade and jellied from the can

Sweet Potoates for DH - he's the only one who eats them

Deviled eggs

Broccoli Salad

Rolls

Pumpkin and Pecan Pie

Not the most inventive of menu's ... I've TRIED to change it up - but it gets shot down everytime... TONS of leftovers ...

my mom always makes thanksgiving dinner, and it feels wrong if she doesn't!!!

it winds up being a combination of traditional thanksgiving food plus chinese food. we always have a turkey, mashed potatoes, biscuits, bread, and then chow mein, chicken salad, potato salad, regular salad, fried shrimp, some random soup, chinese desserts, on and on!

it's also almost always my brother's birthday, so if he's feeling in the mood we get him birthday cake also.

i'll be sad if my parents don't do it this year - i love my mom's cooking too much! that and i love going home for thanksgiving.

i'll be sad if my parents don't do it this year - i love my mom's cooking too much! that and i love going home for thanksgiving.

The combination of foods sounds really interesting.

Do you and your boyfriend "split up" for major holidays like T-Giving, or do you end up going to two meals?

The combination of foods sounds really interesting.

Do you and your boyfriend "split up" for major holidays like T-Giving, or do you end up going to two meals?

we usually split up - i head home to my family, he heads back to his, but his family doesn't do the entire big thanksgiving dinner thing. maybe this year he'll come.