Wal-Mart to end layaway...

I read this sign yesterday when going out for groceries.

The reasoning posted is that more and more people are buying gift cards.

I did layway one year only to be told everything could not be found. I had to go back out on the floor and look for it all myself...which was quicker in the long run.

This particular Wal-Mart is allowing people to do layaway until November....but everything has to be out by then.

Gee, I wonder what the ONE layaway person will be doing that is never behind the counter anyway(?)

The layaway is just one of many changes going into effect over the next few months.

here's a short list...

-increase of amount of raise for 'exceeds expectations' in yearly employee evaluations (from $.55 to $.60 -- still a crappy raise).

-wage caps

-elimination of merit raises

-elimination of assistant manager positions in specialty devisions (tire lube, photo, vision, etc.) and reduction of assistants in grocery area

-dress code change to blue polo shirts and beige kahki pants (as seen in the new WalMart/Verizon Wireless commercial)

-introduction of a very strict attendance policy

The wage cap and merit raise thing is *intended* to encourage people to apply for higher paying job codes and management positions. What's it's really doing is pissing off everyone, because essentially anyone that's been with the company for about 10 years is inelligable to receive a raise on their yearly evaluation. Summary: a way to eliminate all the "overpaid" employees by having them resign due to dissatisfaction with the company.

One of the Walton brats visited my store on Saturday to get opinions from employees and have a meeting with all the managers. I sure hope he got the message.

• 3 weeks later...

FAMILY AND FRIENDS,

HERE IS A CHANCE FOR ALL OF US TO MAKE A CHANGE, I

KNOW YOU MAY HAVE HEARD THAT WAL-MART IS PLANNING TO

GET RID OF THE LAY-A-WAY PROGRAM, SOME OF US MAY HAVE

USED IT SOME MAY NOT, SOME MAY KNOW SOME ONE WHO HAS,

THEREFORE WE MUST ALL TAKE THE TIME TO CLICK ON THE

LINK BELOW AND SIGN THE PETITION TO KEEP THE LAY-A-WAY

PROGRAM GOING IN ALL WAL-MART STORES.

EVEN IF YOU MAY NOT FEEL THE NEED TO PETITION BECAUSE

YOU MAY NOT HAVE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF "LAY-A-WAY" BUT

REMEMBER HOW HARD IT WAS FOR OUR PARENTS TO PROVIDE US

WITH NICE CLOTHING AND TOYS WITHOUT SUCH "LAY-A-WAY"!!!

JUST DO IT BECAUSE SOMEONE MAY "REALLY" NEED TO HAVE

THE AVAILABILITY OR OPTION. MOST THAT SHOP AT WALMART

AND USE THIS PROGRAM DON'T HAVE COMPUTERS TO DO THIS,

SO IT US TO US TO STAND FOR THEM.

http://www.petitiononline.com/layaways/petition.html

I signed .....#40291

I don't really use it but who knows? Maybe I will need it someday! And I want them to keep it for the middle and low income people who REALLY need it to get CHristmas for their kids!! I hope if they do away with it that it KILLS their Holiday sales!

This really angers me. I use Lay-A-Way every year. I have two kids and a husband that will find anything I buy. This is my hiding place! I can also pay a little here and there so hubby has no clue if I got him something or not until he opens up Christmas morning. :)

I signed the petition as well. There are 63392 Total Signatures so far.

But I went one step further. You can email your feedback about Lay-A-Way being discontinued directly to Wal-Mart. Here is the link

http://walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=383&noSurvey=yes

When you get on there, just select your local store so they can tell where you are at, and then it will let you fill out a feedback/suggestions form.

Let's all get on the bandwagon here and flood them with our thoughts.

Thanks everyone!!