Best/Worst Rebate experience

krstee

Last BF I had a problem with Radio Shack. I bought the Sirius radio & home kit. I sent in rebates to Sirius and to Radio Shack. I got the Sirius one back no problem, but Radio Shack sent me a postcard saying that the rebate was not valid on that UPC!?! I bought the exact product in the ad that the Radio Shack employee gave me when I asked for it. I called the store I bought it at, the manager apologized and said he couldn't see why I didn't get the rebate (he looked up my purchase and details on their computer system). He contacted the rebate center, had it all straightened out, and I had rebate in hand about a week later.

I am very careful about sending in rebates, since each one seems to ask for something different. My "trick" is to take each rebate, write the submission address on an envelope, and then on the inside flap of the envelope write what is required to be sent in (i.e. original UPC or copied UPC, original receipt or copied receipt, etc.). That is the best way I have found to keep everything straight.

CompUSA's own rebates are now submitted online (like Staples) so they are among the best. And the odds are that the rebate(s) you had problems with were from manufacturers, NOT CompUSA. So you're only hurting yourself avoiding CompUSA.

And of course here we have another story of someone who got a rejection and apparently did nothing about it.

I prefer submitting online rather than mail. But my purchase was last Christmas and there was not an option for online submission. This is not he only rebate problem I have had with CompUSA. And who are you to know that I did not do anything about it. Opinion were asked and I gave mine. I am glad you have had such good luck with CompUSA, but I have not. And after reading this thread, there are others out there who also have had problems.

We avoid buying anything with rebates because of some rebate houses just rejecting for no reason, having to "give" the money to the store to use for months before returning it....sort of like an interest-free loan on my part to them, etc.

In our experience, OM was always the worst with denying rebates for any reason at all, usually incorrectly. But, our local OM manager always made good on any rebate submitted and rejected. But OM rebates were just too much of a problem to continue to use them.

The stores with the best rebates, at least for us, always had been Best Buy and Circuit City. CompUSA did pretty well, too. Staples was usually good with theirs and OD was fair at best. TigerDirect was and is dismal at fulfilling theirs. Fry's usually comes through with theirs but can be slow as molasses in winter.

Had never been turned down by BB or CC on a rebate. But since most of BB's products the last two years are without rebates, we prefer to shop there despite the fact that the product may be a few dollars more. I'd rather pay a little more up front instead of waiting months for a rebate that may be rejected, have to be resubmitted, etc. Rebating is just not worth the problems anymore.