Christmas at my house for the family this year!

mastert1966

So, my 82 year old mother has let me know that she has been telling all the family (about 35 people) that Christmas is at my house this year.  I'm not making a big dinner so I need help with food ideas.  Maybe some things to make in crockpots?  Also, I only have a 4' tree.  Should I get something bigger?

HELP NEEDED IN OHIO :)

When we get together with the big family, we do finger foods. Everybody brings whatever they want. Someone can be responsible for paper plates, napkins, and cups, someone needs to be designated to bring drinks or everyone can bring their own.

For our more immediate family (there are 24 of us), we get together at my mom's and have chicken & dumplins. I make the dumplins and rolls at home and take them, my oldest sister fries chicken and takes it, my other sister lives with my mom and she makes fried potatoes and spaghetti in tomato sauce (that's a side in our family). 

Personally, I would not get a bigger tree to decorate for the family. I'm sure your 4' tree is beautiful and just right for your home. I don't know how big your house is, but it might seem pretty cramped when you bring in 35 extra people. A larger tree is going to make it feel even more so. 

My best advice: don't stress! And don't think you have to do it all alone. It's supposed to be fun so make it as easy as you can so you can enjoy it.

Edited by Bopeep
  • Like 6

We have been doing Roast Beef for our Christmas parties. Not hard to make (roast in the oven or I do ours on the smoker) let it sit then slice it. We also usually do a big pot of mashed potatoes, my wife makes this really easy to make mac n cheese, gravy and then others bring sides, desserts, stuff like that. I've been getting the roasts at like Sam's Club as they are much larger and it makes it easier to server a bunch of people. I will probably do 2 or 3 of them this Christmas Party.

• Like 1

I like the idea of finger foods/appetizers myself with everyone bringing what they want.  Roast beef is also a good idea and great for sandwiches later.  If you want a more traditional meal then I still would have everyone bring their favorite sides while you cook the turkey.  I haven’t had a traditional Christmas meal since my grandmother and then my aunt passed away and we sold the big “family gathering” house and I’ve been ok with it.  

As for the tree, I wouldn’t buy a bigger one this year and just see how it goes with everyone there and how you feel about it. If your Mom states that Christmas will be at your house from now on then you can get a bigger one if you weren’t satisfied with the 4’ one.  Just my thoughts. 

• Like 1

I would not buy a bigger tree... if you have a card table put the tree on top of there if you want it to be a little higher, or even a coffee table that you can move up against a wall with a table cloth on top (stack real or fake presents under the tree)... as far as food goes, make it pot luck and everyone brings a dish and beverages, you can provide the turkey and or ham... tell everyone to wear and ugly sweater and give out 3 prizes for ugliest, most creative and best sweater... have fun and make the most of it!!!!

• Like 3