What do you put in your kids' stockings?

kimpooh19

I don't do stockings anymore, but when my boys were kids I filled them with candy. When they were really little, I'd put a stuffed animal on top. As they got older, sometimes I'd put a small gift in the stocking with the candy, but mostly it was just candy :).

• Like 1

I don't do stockings anymore, but when my boys were kids I filled them with candy. When they were really little, I'd put a stuffed animal on top. As they got older, sometimes I'd put a small gift in the stocking with the candy, but mostly it was just candy :).

That would be a great idea, but one of my boy's has a g-tube and can't eat anything but potatoes, green beans, apples, and bananas, so we try hard to avoid any food related gifts at any holiday for any of us so he doesn't feel left out.  I definitely wish I could throw in something like that.  Seems fun!

• Like 3

I too, have boys. I usually do a couple of stockings for each one.  One will have bath stuff/shower gel, chapstick, little boxes of their favorite candy, deodorant, silly socks, little travel games, video game gift cards, usually an orange. The other stocking is geared towards their sports stuff - hockey tape, stick wax, skate laces, helmet repair kit, mouthguards, skate socks, soccer socks, random extra stuff i've collected throughout the year from a "hockey of the month" club we belong to, stickers, etc. 

For DH's stocking, I usually load him up with various jerky products, socks and candy.  

For my mom, I'll do nail polish, restaurant gc's, Red Hots candy, an orange (which was a tradition her parents did for her when she was young), maybe a nail salon gc, etc.  

I could easily spend a fortune on stockings, especially depending on how crazy I get with gift cards. My kids know they can open their stockings (and ONLY their stockings) before we get up on Christmas morning, so I feel like it's a fair price to pay to buy extra sleeping time!  LOL

• Like 3

2 year old - snacks/candy, small stuffed alligator if I make it back to the zoo gift shop, toy animals, stickers, Funtainer.

5 year old - snacks/candy, Disney Cars, stickers, Funtainer.

I think that should fill the stockings, just got new ones last year and still haven't gotten that figured out.

Grownups are mostly candy. DH is getting a replacement wedding ring in his this year.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

About anything reasonably priced goes in the ones at my house.  I usually get my guys movies or a video game, candy, cookies, good smelling body wash, jerky, stuff like that.  My mom, who passed away this year, always put an apple and orange in everyone’s stocking (everyone has stockings at my mom & dads house, mom loved filling the stockings to the brim) because it was tradition from when she was a kid.  She said when her and her sister and brothers were little that was usually all they got in their stockings, and sometimes that was all they got at all because money was tight.  Not sure exactly what to do this year for one of my sons.  He is trying to eat healthier and recently quit eating so much sugar, so I guess cookies and candy are kinda out for him.

I try to put accessories related to their main gift. Some things I've done:

Models - paint, brushes, cutters, pliers, etc

VR - cables, grips

Record player - cleaning kit

Then also related gift cards (steam, PS, gaming store).

My boys are grown, so sometimes they may get work gloves or thermal socks for boots.

And my oldest goes through earbuds, so he gets a pair or 2.

I also try to get a specialty (large or shaped) candy and a snack. My youngest is very basic in his tastes, so that makes it harder to keep them even. (Only plain Hershey chocolate and reeses, no jerky or other flavors.)