Handmade Holidays

lucyismycat

I'm just curious how many of you are doing handmade gifts this year as opposed to, or in addition to, purchasing gifts?  How have recent economy changes 

What sorts of things do you make for gifts?  Do they go over well?  

I crochet and knit year-round, during my kids' sports activities (can't sit still). During hockey season, I travel with my littlest sewing machine and make pillow cases during downtime at our hotel, and once in a great while I'll piece a quilt top. I mostly knit or crochet dishcloths, and a blanket every now and then. I try to make sure that each family we gift to receives at least one handmade item. I used to make aprons and embroider them as gifts, but I think everyone in our circle has one now. 

This year I'm thinking about expanding my options; I'd like to sew reusable shopping bags to use as gift bags.  I try to give things that are practical, but that are mostly portable.  I also try to focus on things that are fairly simple to make (i.e. I don't knit socks even though I think they would be pretty portable AND practical. Maybe one of these days)

I accepted long ago that I never saved any money by making something myself, but I'm wondering if any of you have managed to pull that off. I don't worry so much about the cost of supplies or labor because I have a pretty good fabric/yarn/craft stash, and I consider my time to be free, since I'm just sitting there anyway, watching practices and games.  I also get the benefit that, for me, crafting is very calming - when my youngest son is in the net for his hockey team, I need all of the calming influences I can get! lol  

What do YOU make? 

• Like 1

I'm just curious how many of you are doing handmade gifts this year as opposed to, or in addition to, purchasing gifts?  How have recent economy changes 

What sorts of things do you make for gifts?  Do they go over well?  

I crochet and knit year-round, during my kids' sports activities (can't sit still). During hockey season, I travel with my littlest sewing machine and make pillow cases during downtime at our hotel, and once in a great while I'll piece a quilt top. I mostly knit or crochet dishcloths, and a blanket every now and then. I try to make sure that each family we gift to receives at least one handmade item. I used to make aprons and embroider them as gifts, but I think everyone in our circle has one now. 

This year I'm thinking about expanding my options; I'd like to sew reusable shopping bags to use as gift bags.  I try to give things that are practical, but that are mostly portable.  I also try to focus on things that are fairly simple to make (i.e. I don't knit socks even though I think they would be pretty portable AND practical. Maybe one of these days)

I accepted long ago that I never saved any money by making something myself, but I'm wondering if any of you have managed to pull that off. I don't worry so much about the cost of supplies or labor because I have a pretty good fabric/yarn/craft stash, and I consider my time to be free, since I'm just sitting there anyway, watching practices and games.  I also get the benefit that, for me, crafting is very calming - when my youngest son is in the net for his hockey team, I need all of the calming influences I can get! lol  

What do YOU make? 

We do homemade Vanilla sometimes, bottled up for our family. It's part of their gift. Doesn't really save anything because we use high end ingredients but the flavor is SO much better. We didn't do it last year as the cost of beans was out of hand. I will be pacing my bean order probably this week so that it has enough time to turn into a good extract before we give it out. I know my Father In-law and my sister both love it.

• Like 4

I absolutely love to bake and give several family members tins of homemade cookies and breads every year. Might expand to add in fudge this year too. 

I have given bottles of home extracts (Vanilla, lemon and orange) along with jars of vanilla and lemon sugar in the past which were all well received. 

• Like 6

A couple years ago, I made blankets for everyone. Even my kids' friends and my mom's friends!

I don't know how to crochet or to knit with needles, but I can loom knit and lately I've been using loop yarn and super bulky yarn. I can make blankets in just a few hours with those.

I am considering doing some blankets again, but we'll see.

I also like the idea of homemade vanilla. I bought some beans a couple years ago with that intent, but never did. Maybe that will be a good project for this year.

I made my friend a macrame owl plant hanger last month for her birthday, and that was fun, so I've thought of maybe doing some more macrame projects too.

• Like 1

I’ve made sugar baby body scrub, homemade hot chocolate mix and even homemade mug cake mix as gifts before.  The hardest part was finding jars I liked to put the body scrub in and larger jars that I liked for the hot chocolate.  I might be doing something similar this year since I will be starting a new job in a few weeks and won’t know how they do holidays there if at all.  

• Like 2

I make bread. It is appreciated by recipients and I think it is a cost saving even with good ingredients.

I do cheat and use a bread machine but no one complains. Choice of all whit to all whole wheat.

Sometimes I make soap too. But it is melt and pour, not lye soap. (Too much equipment needed). Not a cost saving either.

I stopped trying to bake cookies to give away because the darn things evaporated.

• Like 4

We make a lot of cookies and candies to give out, but I never really considered those gifts. I mean, I guess they are (obviously), but if it weren't for the cookie trays the recipients are not people we would buy gifts for. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I've tried my hand at many crafts, and failed spectacularly almost every time. I just see it in my head and think it seems so simple, go spend a lot of money on supplies, and end up with what looks like a 3rd grade art project. 

My sister crochets and she can turn out some beautiful creations. We all have a blanket or 2 made by her and all the new babies get a blanket. So a few years ago she pointed out some chunky yarn at Walmart and said she wanted a blanket made of that. I was going to just buy her the yarn, but decided to make the blanket for her since she has made so many for all of us. I looked up the directions on Pinterest, I think they called it finger knitting or something like that, and thought even I can't mess this up, LOL.  I can't promise it will stay together if it ever has to go through the washing machine (the parts where you run out of yarn and have to stitch a new skein on kind of had me nervous) but I was kinda proud of it :).

• Like 4

We make a lot of cookies and candies to give out, but I never really considered those gifts. I mean, I guess they are (obviously), but if it weren't for the cookie trays the recipients are not people we would buy gifts for. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I've tried my hand at many crafts, and failed spectacularly almost every time. I just see it in my head and think it seems so simple, go spend a lot of money on supplies, and end up with what looks like a 3rd grade art project. 

My sister crochets and she can turn out some beautiful creations. We all have a blanket or 2 made by her and all the new babies get a blanket. So a few years ago she pointed out some chunky yarn at Walmart and said she wanted a blanket made of that. I was going to just buy her the yarn, but decided to make the blanket for her since she has made so many for all of us. I looked up the directions on Pinterest, I think they called it finger knitting or something like that, and thought even I can't mess this up, LOL.  I can't promise it will stay together if it ever has to go through the washing machine (the parts where you run out of yarn and have to stitch a new skein on kind of had me nervous) but I was kinda proud of it :).

Awwww, you should be proud!  My grandmother quilted and crocheted all her life so we have many hand-quilted quilts and many crocheted  blankets.  I fondly remember her trying to teach me one day and she eventually gave up on me!  :) :) :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bake like a maniac for Christmas. Have for years. Got several dear friends who look forward to their Christmas goodie boxes every year. I typically ship ~50 lbs of cookies, bread, and fudge to my track family at Joe Gibbs Racing alone. It makes for a crazy first half of December but so worth it. [emoji16][emoji106]
  • Like 7