Black Friday 2022 Countdown & Anticipation Thread

Brad

Only 328 days to go :)

Counting down to the actual Black Friday day seems more pointless every year as BF has become a month+ long event, but we'll keep this thread open for general chit-chat.

As you can see the 2021 BF threads have been archived and as we've done in recent years there is this year-round BF forum to discuss any store closings and other news that could affect Black Friday 2022.

Black Friday will fall on November 25th this year.

• Like 5

It always hurts my heart a little to log on and see the BF forums have been archived.  On the other hand, one of my favorite days of the year is the day I log on and see that they're back!  Can't have one without the other, I guess :).

• Like 4

.... yes it does. Our Bed Bath &Beyond is one of them scheduled to close.

Kohls also had a bad Christmas....

• shares were falling Friday after the retailer’s rating was cut to Sell from Neutral by analysts at UBS who expect rising inflation to pressure sales.
  • The price target on the stock was slashed to a Wall-Street low of $38 from $66. Shares of Kohl’s (ticker: KSS) fell roughly 4% to $47.10 on Friday.

No surprise.  BB&B coupons go directly to the recycle bin at my house.  Kohls, which had captured a LOT of my dollars until last year, only collected about $400 from me in 2021.

Both retailers dramatically diminished the value of their discount/coupon programs.

• Like 3

Kohls also had a bad Christmas....

• shares were falling Friday after the retailer’s rating was cut to Sell from Neutral by analysts at UBS who expect rising inflation to pressure sales.
  • The price target on the stock was slashed to a Wall-Street low of $38 from $66. Shares of Kohl’s (ticker: KSS) fell roughly 4% to $47.10 on Friday.

No surprise.  BB&B coupons go directly to the recycle bin at my house.  Kohls, which had captured a LOT of my dollars until last year, only collected about $400 from me in 2021.

Both retailers dramatically diminished the value of their discount/coupon programs.

I think Kohl's really messed up when they changed the program to only VIP cardholders getting free shipping! Not to mention only some people getting the 30% off!

• Like 1

I think Kohl's really messed up when they changed the program to only VIP cardholders getting free shipping! Not to mention only some people getting the 30% off!

Their exclusions are overwhelming and MVC exclusive promotions trim sales, but, yes, personalized codes were kind of the icing on the cake.  A lot of people have always complained that Kohls marked stuff up before sales.  I haven't seen that, but I have had sale items in my cart go off sale before codes became effective.

Probably did not help that the store became political last year as well.  I will never forget the year Walmart cancelled Christmas -- no decorations on the lights in the parking lot, happy holidays greetings from the employees, and a general ban on Christmas references in ads and stores.  

I also remember the Christmas decorations and greetings came back the next year.

I suspect Kohls will be bought by Amazon (they already do returns for Amazon) once Amazon decides it needs a chain of pickup/retail locations. 

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 2

I hate the new shipping rules. My nearest K’s is 20 miles away so store pickup isn’t convenient.

My other problem with Kohl’s was the amount of items that no longer qualify for coupons. It seems like everything that is a “name brand” is now excluded when it used to be just the big names like Nike, Apple, KitchenAid.

I barely shopped there this year. I spent under $200.

• Like 2

.... yes it does. Our Bed Bath &Beyond is one of them scheduled to close.

We lost ours last year, early in the year. At first I thought it wouldn’t bother me all that much since I didn’t think I went very often, but boy has it ever.  And the building still sits empty, right in the middle of a sprawling and very busy shopping area.   

Edited by HanShotFirst
  • Like 1

I hate the new shipping rules. My nearest K’s is 20 miles away so store pickup isn’t convenient.

My other problem with Kohl’s was the amount of items that no longer qualify for coupons. It seems like everything that is a “name brand” is now excluded when it used to be just the big names like Nike, Apple, KitchenAid.

I barely shopped there this year. I spent under $200.

I barely shopped there as well in 2021, mainly because they had nothing to buy. Every time I walked in the store just felt and looked empty of merchandise. The majority of women’s plus size clothing was nothing but loungewear/activewear. Some of us actually like putting on real clothes from time to time and I could always count of Kohl’s for nice yet casual tops at cheap prices if you waited for your 30% of code which were plentiful, unlike now.  I also buy my pajamas exclusively (or used to) from there. I can’t remember the last 30% off code I’ve received even though I’m still a VIP. I’m sure that won’t last since I barely spent any money in there though. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

OK, I've got something on my list to look for this year. My sister showed me a Green Bay Packers Dooney & Burke purse. Only about $250! They are having a sale right now for 30% off. I figure they will have a better sale for Balck Friday and if they do, it was meant to be. If not, I don't need that expensive purse anyway, lol.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It appears I'll be looking for a TV.  Just not sure if I should go ahead now or wait.  Amazon has their Fire TVs already on sale before Prime Days.  Anyone remember if Prime Day last year had equivalent deals?  I just remember disappointment, but I wasn't looking at any Amazon devices last year, either.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...