GottaDEAL 2022 Black Friday Prize Club Thread

Brad

Happy New Year All! It was a quiet holiday season here and now we are battling winter. Dogs want to go out and zoom around the yard but 1 incident of frozen paws and all are zooming in the house, lol. Boys are both back in school and already planning next year's class schedules. Hard to believe both boys will be in high school next year (freshman and senior)!

Well, covid caught up to my 79 year old active dad. :cry2: He can't get warm (no fever anymore for the past few days), has absolutely no energy, doesn't want to move or do anything and now his throat is fire-engine red. It's so hard to see him struggle to swallow. He doesn't want to eat, will only drink cold things (yesterday I got him to eat some chicken noodle soup and drink the warm broth) and just wants to sleep. He's a stubborn man and doesn't want to go to the doctor. I don't know if they would want to see him anyway, but I want him to get something for his throat. Don't know if it's just extremely sore as part of covid or if he has strep along with it. It's not easy seeing him struggle with this. My mom passed almost 8 years ago so he's there alone. I offered to stay with him but he won't have it. Could use some prayers for him.

• Like 3

Well, covid caught up to my 79 year old active dad. :cry2: He can't get warm (no fever anymore for the past few days), has absolutely no energy, doesn't want to move or do anything and now his throat is fire-engine red. It's so hard to see him struggle to swallow. He doesn't want to eat, will only drink cold things (yesterday I got him to eat some chicken noodle soup and drink the warm broth) and just wants to sleep. He's a stubborn man and doesn't want to go to the doctor. I don't know if they would want to see him anyway, but I want him to get something for his throat. Don't know if it's just extremely sore as part of covid or if he has strep along with it. It's not easy seeing him struggle with this. My mom passed almost 8 years ago so he's there alone. I offered to stay with him but he won't have it. Could use some prayers for him.

He is in my thoughts and prayers. :::Hugs:::

• Like 1

Have a happy MLK day everyone!

So sorry to hear about your mom and what your dad is going through. There's always at-home tests if you really want to know if he has covid. Thoughts and prayer go out for him.

• Like 1

I would call his doctors office and ask about seeing him. At the clinic I work for the doctors will go outside and see patients if their covid test is positive.  The lab (me) will also go outside and swab for covid, strep, flu.  Or if he’s a long time patient they might just call something in for his throat.  Worth a shot.  Prayers for him that he gets better soon.  

• Like 2

Praying 

• Like 1

Prayers and healing vibes being sent now!

• Like 1

Update on Dad: He wasn't eating, couldn't swallow, just wanted to sleep and was very lethargic. I took him to the emergency room and surprisingly they weren't very busy. They got him in pretty quickly. Did an EKG, bloodwork, covid test and flu test. Everything came back as the doctor had expected, still positive for covid but everything else looking pretty good. Ran an IV through him pretty quickly and he was feeling somewhat better. They didn't have to admit him and he's been improving ever since. He's up moving around more now and wanting to eat.

An interesting note...I asked his nurse if they've been short staffed. He said they're better now than they were. They had a lot of staff out with covid. But since guidelines changed it's not as bad as it was. He said he tested positive last week but with the guideline changes (healthcare workers can work even if they test positive) he's able to be at work. I thought that was crazy, but I don't make the rules.

Thank you all for the prayers and positive thoughts.

• Like 4

Update on Dad: He wasn't eating, couldn't swallow, just wanted to sleep and was very lethargic. I took him to the emergency room and surprisingly they weren't very busy. They got him in pretty quickly. Did an EKG, bloodwork, covid test and flu test. Everything came back as the doctor had expected, still positive for covid but everything else looking pretty good. Ran an IV through him pretty quickly and he was feeling somewhat better. They didn't have to admit him and he's been improving ever since. He's up moving around more now and wanting to eat.

An interesting note...I asked his nurse if they've been short staffed. He said they're better now than they were. They had a lot of staff out with covid. But since guidelines changed it's not as bad as it was. He said he tested positive last week but with the guideline changes (healthcare workers can work even if they test positive) he's able to be at work. I thought that was crazy, but I don't make the rules.

This is great news. I will continue to pray for a speedy recovery. 

• Like 1

Great news! Hope he continues to improve! As a healthcare worker myself I think it’s absolutely NUTS that we are allowed to come back to work so soon after testing positive or even if positive with no symptoms.  On the other hand, Staffing is a huge problem in my state right now with our only Level 1 trauma center in the state about to double up patients in their 60 Covid designated rooms.  The biggest issue is finding nurses and aides, etc to care for double the number of patients when so many are out sick or have just outright quit their jobs over burnout, stress, etc. Unfortunately there seems to be no answer now. Staff has to report to work or the entire healthcare system will collapse.  There’s no god answer so I continue to go to work everyday, surrounded by fellow employees who have tested positive and are still coughing their heads off.  

• Like 1

Questions for friends in healthcare. I received an email last night from Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, where my doctors for breast cancer and leukemia are located, saying immunocompromised patients should now get four shots: if Pfizer the first two should be three weeks apart from each other, the third 28 days later, and now a fourth 5 months later. It sounds as though the third is now supposed to be a full dose, rather than a booster.

I had followed the previous advice of two full doses three weeks apart and a booster five months later, with the booster being last August.

I'm coming up on five months since the booster. Do I need to get a full dose to adjust for the dosage and timing of the third dose not currently meeting the timeline? Should I consider the mix and match approach and get Moderna, since the previous three were all Pfizer?

And, has anyone else heard that immunocompromised patients should get a fourth dose? I know Israel has been doing such, but this is the first I heard, here. I don't even know if fourth doses are being offered anywhere, yet.

Since it is Carnival season, I decided to try making a low carb King Cake for my birthday. I didn't put a charm/baby in it, but it was a fun experiment.

PXL-20220122-002504375.jpg

Freshly rolled and just starting to rise.

PXL-20220122-012251541.jpg

Well, bah.

The top came off when I removed the towel after the rise.

PXL-20220122-020924145.jpg

Fresh out of the oven. A bit brown, but I think that's the cinnamon "sugar" since the top layer came off.

PXL-20220122-042240808.jpg

The base icing.

PXL-20220122-044348209.jpg

The colored allulose.

PXL-20220122-045335232.jpg

The inside. I was hoping for a lighter texture, and to be able to see the cinnamon swirls.

Ah, well.

PXL-20220122-045406998.jpg

My piece. It's a bit dense.

But it's tasty.

• Like 2