Hotter Today: Seagate Hard Drive Deals at Newegg

Scott

Ok, you know if I'm posting it is a good one.

Newegg has a couple of the new Seagate 7200.10 (new perpendicular recording) on sale.

Update: Price Drop on the 320GB today!

Seagate 250 GB 7200.10 only 79.99 Shipped!

Seagate 320 GB 7200.10 only 94.99 Shipped!

The new perpendicular recording technology makes these "the" fastest 7200 RPM drives on the market. With a 5 year warranty standard on Seagate drives, now is the time to snatch one of these up!

When they incorporate this technology over to 2.5" drives then we'll really have something to get excited about. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Happy/94b40016.gif

That's a great price on that 320GB!

Yeah... I'm thinking of getting 5 of them!

1 for my system and another 4 for a NAS.

Website for the T4:

http://www.amselectronics.com/

I'm not sure what they mean by "Raid Support: Standard (non-RAID)".

And their datasheet PDF won't load for me.

Just what I meant. It supports non-raid which would just show up as 4 different disks, or JBOD which is technically "RAID," but you wouldn't catch a true geek calling it that. It is missing the redundancy that is inherent to most raid setups.

RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks

JBOD = Just a Bunch Of Drives

It is normally spanning so that the 4 disks would show up as a single volume.

RAID in the sense that it is normally discussed is a system of linking drives together in a different sense.

For Example:

RAID 0 is striping two disks together to act as one. Both disks can be written to and accessed at the same time, so there is a considerable speed boost. However, there is a greater risk for data loss. If you loose one drive, all your data is gone.

RAID 1 is also refered to as mirroring. Two drives act as a single volume, but the exact same data is written to both of them in case one fails. That way, you never loose data. You will loose half your disk space when using this method.

RAID 5 is an alternate to those two. It has parity of all the data, but requires at least 3 drives. A portion of each drive is then used to back up a part of other drives. In this way, any single disc can fail and you won't loose any data. You will normally loose the space of one drive to parity. So, if you have 3 250GB drives, you would have 500GB of useable space. If you had 4 250GB drives, you would have 750GB of useable space.

I got one of the 320GB drives for my personal system.

I'm going to hold off on the rest... They haven't been added to the Infrant compatability list yet.

I will order them soon enough though...

:)

Nice deal. I kind of wish I had waited. I ordered 2 300GB drives from Staples about a month back, advertised as SATA, but they were PATA. I'm using one and still have one new in the box.

How much did you get it for, and how much do you want for it? :)

BTW - what do I need in order to add a SATA HD or two to my machine?

How much did you get it for, and how much do you want for it? :)

BTW - what do I need in order to add a SATA HD or two to my machine?

I paid $82 for it. I'm still considering using it for a backup drive for my files on my home machine, just haven't gotten it there. Of course, I'm willing to sell if anyone is interested, since it's just collecting dust right now. :P

If you want SATA in your machine, get an SATA controller card. They are pretty cheap, AFAIK.

I paid $82 for it. I'm still considering using it for a backup drive for my files on my home machine, just haven't gotten it there. Of course, I'm willing to sell if anyone is interested, since it's just collecting dust right now. :P

How much? :tongue1:

If you want SATA in your machine, get an SATA controller card. They are pretty cheap, AFAIK.

What's a good brand/price?

How much? :tongue1:

What's a good brand/price?

What kind of computer do you have now? Are you sure that there isn't a SATA controller already there?

They can run anywhere from tens to hundreds of dollars depending on what you want and need. If it is just to act as a secondary storage device, you can probably get away with a pretty cheap one.

SATA I controllers start at around $15 shipped. If you want to get a faster SATA II controller, they start at around $30.

I prefer promise controllers, but they are a little bit more expensive. I would just find one that has good ratings at NewEgg and go with it.

Something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816132001

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102061

It seems that the SATA II cards that start at $30 or so are PCI-e. You pay a little more to get a PCI version.

320GB is back up to $99 today.

Scott- Got a link to that NAS box? edit: - nm, saw it above.

I actually got it from http://www.eaegis.com

They have the best prices on it.

I cancelled the order for the 3 250GB drives... I'm thinking that I may spend the extra $60 and go with 3x320 instead... Decisions Decisions...

Here is my dilema and why I cancelled my order for the 3 drives:

I already ordered a 320 GB drive when they were $95. It should be here today. That means I would already have one.

I decided to go with only 3 drives in the NAS to start with. If I get 3x250, that gives me 500GB useable space. Later on, when I upgrade again, I can add the 320GB drive and have 750GB of useable space. In contrast to that, if I spend about $60 more now on 3x320GB, I will have 640GB of useable space initially. Then, when I upgrade in the future, I can add the matching 320GB drive for a useable space of about 960GB.

Thoughts?

I guess I have a couple of questions. How much space do you currently need to accommodate with the NAS? Do you plan on adding another in the near future?

I'm assuming that's a RAID 5 configuration you're talking about. With the 4th drive, you have better redundancy and can have up to 2 drives fail and still be able to recover your data. Yes, I've done it...not a treat, but it can be done.

For $60 more you are gaining 140GB of useable space. That's appoximately a 160GB drive (close to 150, but those aren't that common). The cost of a 160Gb is around $60, so you aren't overpaying for the extra space. In the long-run, I'd imagine that the extra 210GB of space would come in handy.

I guess I have a couple of questions. How much space do you currently need to accommodate with the NAS? Do you plan on adding another in the near future?

I'm assuming that's a RAID 5 configuration you're talking about. With the 4th drive, you have better redundancy and can have up to 2 drives fail and still be able to recover your data. Yes, I've done it...not a treat, but it can be done.

For $60 more you are gaining 140GB of useable space. That's appoximately a 160GB drive (close to 150, but those aren't that common). The cost of a 160Gb is around $60, so you aren't overpaying for the extra space. In the long-run, I'd imagine that the extra 210GB of space would come in handy.

I'm currently using about 300-400 GB of space. This will continue to grow however as it includes our personal files, music collection, and all the photos that we take. As our digital cameras get better, we are taking up more and more space... :)

It will actually be XRaid, which is a proprietary type of raid from infrant. If you put 2 drives in, it runs similar to raid 1 (mirrored). If you add a third drive, it moves to a raid 5 type array automatically. You can add a 4th drive as well, and it will continue in Raid 5. In addition, with XRaid, you can replace all the volumes one at a time with larger drives, and the array will rebuild itself on the fly without any loss of data. So in the future, I can replace the drives with 500GB drives and have a 2TB (1.5TB useable) solution.

With RAID 5, you always loose the space of 1 drive. You don't get any more redundancy by adding a 4th disk, you just get more space.

By spending $60 more now, I will get 140 GB of useable space now, but when I upgrade and add the fourth drive which I already have, the total difference would be 210GB difference (750GB vs 960GB).

With RAID 5, you always loose the space of 1 drive. You don't get any more redundancy by adding a 4th disk, you just get more space.

You're right. I was thinking of having a 4th for a hot-spare, so you can have immediate replacement of the bad drive, but I doubt that box supports that. I've had my coffee...starting to wake up. :)

You're right. I was thinking of having a 4th for a hot-spare, so you can have immediate replacement of the bad drive, but I doubt that box supports that. I've had my coffee...starting to wake up. :)

I believe that you can do that as well with that box, but it isn't what I would do. I would just replace a drive if it goes bad. They are all hot swapable.

I also plan on keeping a separate backup on another media or drive in a fireproof box. I will probably do those monthly or so.