Shop Early! Possible Shortages Loom This Holiday Season

magickallight

My local grocery store must be lucky as they had plenty of spiral cut ham and turkeys in stock. The price for the ham wasn’t any different than earlier in the year, not sure about the turkey prices though as my mom is making that so I didn’t look closely.

I made my husband grab the canned pumpkin, vanilla extract and chicken broth back in early October because I didn’t want to compromise on the brands that I like and didn’t want to run into issues closer to the big day.

• Like 1

Did a little shopping the Saturday before Thanksgiving.  I didn't get to Shaws on Friday (first day of the ad) and was wondering if the place would be picked clean.  Nope.  Plenty of everything.

1. Eye of Round Roast $2.97/lb (six pounds for jerky)
  2. Sweet Potato 37c/lb (for Burbank's Sweet Potato Casserole)
  3. Asparagus 97c/lb
  4. Scallops $6.97/lb
  5. Butter $1.97/lb
  6. Silk Oak Milk $1.49/half gallon
  7. Friendly's Ice Cream $1.97/48oz
  8. Green Giant frozen vegetables 99c ea
  9. Green Giant canned vegetables 79c ea
  10. Campbells cream of mushroom soup 99c ea

Popped in to Aldis for some Salmon ($7.79/lb) and found 1% milk at $1.29/gallon.  Grabbed some coffee creamer for $1.85/qt and baby carrots 79c/lb.

I stopped into the Dollar Store for some cleaners (oven, rug, mineral/rust, and shower -- all still a buck despite rumors to the contrary.

I was in Walmart as well (Levis belt $14...bigger than I expected <s>).  Always have to check out the televisions.  My first look at the TCL series 4 75" did not disappoint.  Ditto on the Hisense.  

I'll be venturing out into retail stores this week and next.  Really do not want to depend on online purchases this year.  The ads really suck this year -- at least for the things I am shopping for.  

• Staples:  If you are looking for an inexpensive desktop, I like the HP at Staples (live now, free shipping).  $25 4k Fire TV stick is the best price ever (not inflated).  The Asus laptop (live now, free delivery) is a great deal.  Unfortunately, I am shopping for none of these.
  • Walmart: I like the $69.99 PowerXL air fryer.  The $499 Asus 15" MSI #GF63 with its GTX 1650 accelerator, 10th gen i5, SSD, and 8GB of RAM would be a very good laptop for a gamer.  At less than $300, the portable spa intrigues, but the six people it claims to seat in a 6' diameter spa is suspect.
  • Kohls: I already bought the Keurig Duo.  I don't recommend the unit as my pump is failing after just over a year (aka warranty), but at $62.99, I'll rent one for another year hoping my current unit is just a lemon.  Kohls also has the $24.99 4K Fire TV stick.  Get two and $15 cash back.  The $45 Echo Show 5 is a good deal.  It has a mechanical shutter for privacy.  
  • Target: Echo Show 5 $44.99
  • Home Depot: I got the two pack of Ryobi 4a batteries for $79.  
  • Lowes: Echo Show 5 $39.99 and Echo Show 8 for $59.99.  Blink indoor cameras for $19.99 and outdoor cameras for 2/$99.99.  Feit Electric Smart WiFi 3-Pack 60-Watt Equivalent Full Color Dimmable LED Light Bulbs for $26.98 <-- great deal!  GE bulbs are $26.98 right now.  Alexa make bed red!  Four pack of smart outlets for $19.98.  I must have 20 of these.  Alexa turn on Christmas.  Alexa turn on desk lamp.  Alexa turn on xbox light.  
  • Bed Bath and Beyond: Echo Show 5 $34.  Nestwell plush robe $29.  Cuisinart air fryer/toaster oven $105.  
  • Ocean State Job Lot: Novelty onesie union suits $10 -- including the bunny suit from Christmas Story.  Can't wait to post a picture of my adult sons in those.  Not really a BF deal, but Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker $399.99 and get a $200 Crazy Deal Gift Card!  These guys make made the Traeger grills.
    Only valid thru Nov 24 2021.

Otherwise, not much excites me about this BF.  

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 1

I certainly agree that overall prices are on the rise and I have seen some sporadic out of stock or low stock situations, but, for the most part, I have not been spending more and I have not had to do without.  I just compiled a shopping list for my Hannaford run tomorrow...

24 Oz. Kahiki Orange Chicken $5.99 - $1.25 coupon = $4.73
20 Oz. Barilla Vero Gusto Calabrian Marinara Sauce $4.99/Ea. - $2.00 = $2.99
Cabot 8 oz. Seriously Sharp Cheese $5.29 - $3.00 = $2.29
Fresh Gulf of Maine All Natural Atlantic Salmon Fillets $11.99/Lb. - $4.00 = $7.99
Bone-In Pork Butt $0.99/Lb,
Broccoli Crowns or baby carrots $0.99/Lb.
Butternut Squash $0.59/Lb.
Hersheys, Mars or Nestle Fun or Snack Size Candy 2/$6.00
Sugardale Shank Portion Ham $1.29/Lb

minus $12 off $60 shopping cart
minus $2.08 in rewards

Last week at Shaws...
$0.99 for Green Giant 10 oz frozen vegetables
$4.06 / # for bacon (I got four pounds.  Could have bought twenty.  No allocation issues where I shop.
$1.77 for boneless, skinless chicken breast
$0.58 for a head of iceberg lettuce
$0.97 / # baby carrots

I did not notice bare shelves at either store.  

And LOL at 'four distributors shared the email with CNN Business on the condition of anonymity to avoid jeopardizing their relationships with suppliers'.  A real news story would have told you WHY they are having supply chain, labor, and transportation issues.  

Here is where Kelloggs manufactures stuff...
USAManufacturingplants05202001.png

Most of the states where Kelloggs does business were still offering enhanced unemployment benefits in August per CNBC.

A decent reporter might have disclosed that...

Work at all of the Kellogg Company's U.S. cereal plants came to a halt Tuesday [October 5th] as roughly 1,400 workers went on strike, but it wasn't immediately clear how much the supply of Frosted Flakes or any of the company's other iconic brands would be disrupted.

The strike includes plants in Omaha, Nebraska Battle Creek, Michigan; Lancaster, Pennsylvania; and Memphis, Tennessee.

The union and the Battle Creek-based company have been at an impasse at the bargaining table for more than a year, said Daniel Osborn, president of the local union in Omaha. The dispute involves an assortment of pay and benefit issues such as the loss premium health care, holiday and vacation pay and reduced retirement benefits

I don't have time to fact check the entire story, but I'd have to give the article five Pinocchios based on my shopping experience, use of anonymous sources, and failure to consider other factors -- such as strikes and enhanced unemployment benefits.

Personally, I believe some of these companies are manufacturing crises to justify price hikes.  Remember the egg shortage?  Just like that.

Relax, shop more stores, and turn off CNN.  

I happen to live in Battle Creek where Kelloggs has virtually screwed over our city and it's employees. Their third quarter reporting said the company made 11 billion so far this year. They have quietly moved operations and jobs out after the city has given them tax relief for decades. The company has over their history prevented Cedar Point from opening here, taken over whole city blocks in the downtown area, closing streets and attempted to force a small family owned shoe store to relocate. They lost that fight as that store has been in the same location since I was a child over fifty years. Finally since the company did not work with their union in good faith they brought in labor from outside in attempt to break the strike. The company is not the family friendly one started by W.K. Kellogg. I refuse to purchase any of their cereal until they deal fairly with their employees, and pay them for the work they do. 

Did a little shopping the Saturday before Thanksgiving. I didn't get to Shaws on Friday (first day of the ad) and was wondering if the place would be picked clean. Nope. Plenty of everything.

• Eye of Round Roast $2.97/lb (six pounds for jerky)
  • Sweet Potato 37c/lb (for Burbank's Sweet Potato Casserole)
  • Asparagus 97c/lb
  • Scallops $6.97/lb
  • Butter $1.97/lb
  • Silk Oak Milk $1.49/half gallon
  • Friendly's Ice Cream $1.97/48oz
  • Green Giant frozen vegetables 99c ea
  • Green Giant canned vegetables 79c ea
  • Campbells cream of mushroom soup 99c ea
Popped in to Aldis for some Salmon ($7.79/lb) and found 1% milk at $1.29/gallon. Grabbed some coffee creamer for $1.85/qt and baby carrots 79c/lb.

I stopped into the Dollar Store for some cleaners (oven, rug, mineral/rust, and shower -- all still a buck despite rumors to the contrary.

I was in Walmart as well (Levis belt $14...bigger than I expected ). Always have to check out the televisions. My first look at the TCL series 4 75" did not disappoint. Ditto on the Hisense.

I'll be venturing out into retail stores this week and next. Really do not want to depend on online purchases this year. The ads really suck this year -- at least for the things I am shopping for.

• Staples: If you are looking for an inexpensive desktop, I like the HP at Staples (live now, free shipping). $25 4k Fire TV stick is the best price ever (not inflated). The Asus laptop (live now, free delivery) is a great deal. Unfortunately, I am shopping for none of these.
  • Walmart: I like the $69.99 PowerXL air fryer. The $499 Asus 15" MSI #GF63 with its GTX 1650 accelerator, 10th gen i5, SSD, and 8GB of RAM would be a very good laptop for a gamer. At less than $300, the portable spa intrigues, but the six people it claims to seat in a 6' diameter spa is suspect.
  • Kohls: I already bought the Keurig Duo. I don't recommend the unit as my pump is failing after just over a year (aka warranty), but at $62.99, I'll rent one for another year hoping my current unit is just a lemon. Kohls also has the $24.99 4K Fire TV stick. Get two and $15 cash back. The $45 Echo Show 5 is a good deal. It has a mechanical shutter for privacy.
  • Target: Echo Show 5 $44.99
  • Home Depot: I got the two pack of Ryobi 4a batteries for $79.
  • Lowes: Echo Show 5 $39.99 and Echo Show 8 for $59.99. Blink indoor cameras for $19.99 and outdoor cameras for 2/$99.99. Feit Electric Smart WiFi 3-Pack 60-Watt Equivalent Full Color Dimmable LED Light Bulbs for $26.98 GE bulbs are $26.98 right now. Alexa make bed red! Four pack of smart outlets for $19.98. I must have 20 of these. Alexa turn on Christmas. Alexa turn on desk lamp. Alexa turn on xbox light.
  • Bed Bath and Beyond: Echo Show 5 $34. Nestwell plush robe $29. Cuisinart air fryer/toaster oven $105.
  • Ocean State Job Lot: Novelty onesie union suits $10 -- including the bunny suit from Christmas Story. Can't wait to post a picture of my adult sons in those. Not really a BF deal, but Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker $399.99 and get a $200 Crazy Deal Gift Card! These guys make the Traeger grills.

Only valid thru Nov 24 2021.

Otherwise, not much excites me about this BF.
Where did you see Z Grills makes Traeger? Two completely different companies. They may use some of the same outsourced companies but that’s about it to the best of my knowledge.

Where did you see Z Grills makes Traeger? Two completely different companies. They may use some of the same outsourced companies but that’s about it to the best of my knowledge.

Should say MADE actually, but EVERYWHERE.  When I started looking at pellet grills, I did not want to spend that much money as I already owned propane and charcoal smokers.  I stumbled across the OSJL ad and decided to take another look.  It's hard to find a review that doesn't tout this history, but I don't think they have made grills for other companies since introducing their own in 2016.  Allegedly, they designed Traeger grills and their first grills were derived from designs for Traeger...

from Pellet Grill Reviews (bbqdryrubs.com)

Z Grills is an old but new company when it comes to making pellet grills.  Z Grills appears to be the company that used to make Traeger grills in China.  Z Grills appears to have taken the design of the previous generation of Tragers, changed up the styling, and are offering them at a direct from the factory type pricing.

According to their website they have been anonymously building pellet grills for reputable companies for 30 years and are now offering them direct to consumers at “severely affordable pricing“.

from Z Grills Review – are They any Good? Which One is Right For You? (foodfirefriends.com)

Until 2017, Z Grills was an anonymous player in the pellet grill market, making grills for other manufacturers for about 30 years. Cash raised through crowdfunding enabled them to strike out on their own and start selling pellet grills with a Z Grills badge.

ABOUT US – Z Grills

from Z Grills Reviews – 2021 Guide (willysmoke.com)

Who is Z Grills?
Z Grills is a US-based company with professional expert grill-makes from China. The company was born in 2016, but they did not appear out of thin air. They have actually been in the grill-making industry for over 30 years and were involved with other brands like Traeger.

from Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill Review - Are they a Traeger Killer? - Smoked BBQ Source

People always want to know how a brand compares with Traeger, the original pellet grill brand.

This is especially true for Z Grills, since there’s a lot of evidence that they used to manufacture grills for Traeger.

from Z Grills Reviews 2021 (Surprised By The Results) (bettergrills.com)

How do Z- grills compare to Traeger.
This one is hard to answer. Traeger and Z-grills were made by the same company in the past. However, Traeger is now manufactured in a different plant.

Should say MADE actually, but EVERYWHERE. When I started looking at pellet grills, I did not want to spend that much money as I already owned propane and charcoal smokers. I stumbled across the OSJL ad and decided to take another look. It's hard to find a review that doesn't tout this history, but I don't think they have made grills for other companies since introducing their own in 2016. Allegedly, they designed Traeger grills and their first grills were derived from designs for Traeger...

from Pellet Grill Reviews (bbqdryrubs.com)

from Z Grills Review – are They any Good? Which One is Right For You? (foodfirefriends.com)

ABOUT US – Z Grills

from Z Grills Reviews – 2021 Guide (willysmoke.com)

from Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill Review - Are they a Traeger Killer? - Smoked BBQ Source

from Z Grills Reviews 2021 (Surprised By The Results) (bettergrills.com)

If they are the ones who built the Traegers when they first went to China that’s not something to tout.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Paper Place in my garage to get a roll of paper towels and a package of napkins.  Despite sharing and being burglarized by my first born, I am not at risk of a dirty bum any time soon.  I have avoided buying paper products during the pandemic as prices were high and selection limited.  All of a sudden, despite reports of shortages and hyper inflation, I have found some very good deals at Walgreens.  Enjoy!

200.0 ea    Ordered: 3    Price: $5.00
Total: $15.00
Promos & coupons: -$4.50
Order total: $10.50
$10.50/36=29c/roll

200.0 ea    Ordered: 3    Price: $5.00
Total: $15.00
Promos & coupons: -$4.50
Rewards redeemed: -$1.00
Order total: $9.50
$9.50/36=26c/roll

140.0 ea    Ordered: 3    Price: $0.99
Total: $2.97
Promos & coupons: -$0.90 (code: CYBER30)
Order total: $2.07
$2.07/3=69c/roll

68.0 ea    Ordered: 2    Price: $3.75
Total: $7.50
$7.50/12=63c/roll

187.0 ea    Ordered: 2    Price: $3.75
Total: $7.50
$7.50/24=31c/roll

• Like 2

Coffee prices are at 10-year highs, and analysts say they have much further to go

Except for me, I guess...

Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC

Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal:$19.99
Shipping & Handling:$0.00
Subscribe & Save:-$1.00
Your Coupon Savings:-$5.00
Total before tax:$13.99
Estimated tax to be collected:$0.00
Grand Total:$13.99
$13.99/84=17c/k-cup

add three more subscribe & save items before the end of the month for another 10% off (15c/k-cup)

Happy Shopping!

I only had 1 order canceled because they were out of stock (like 4 days after I placed the online order) and I just put them in my cart again because they were at the sale price still, and they were delivered to my house a week later.  It was $10 mascara from Macys.

Walmart I only wanted 2 small electronic items (phone chargers) that were in the BF ad.  I put them both in my cart over the weekend and 1 was out of stock, when I checked the next day they were both in stock, so I paid for my order and picked them up locally.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, rib roasts, right?  It's what's for dinner.  Or, at least, it's what's on sale.

Last week, all the local ads included rib roasts.  My preference is large end, bone cut off but attached to the roast.  I look for six pounders.

My first strike was a six pound boneless roast at $5.97/# from Shaws.  Same ad included $1.47/# asparagus and $1.47/# cauliflower.  This is dinner tomorrow along with mashed potatoes, carrots, and broccoli.  

My second 'win' was a six pound bone in large end rib roast from Aldis for $6.99/#.  The bones are cut off and tied to the roast.  The roast is vacuum packed and has a decent sell by window.  I got a spiral ham for 95c/# as well.  It has a sell by date in February.  The rib roast is freezer bound.

On my way home from work, I stopped at Shaws and picked up a six pound bone in roast for $5.97/#.  Same receipt included 99c/# broccoli, 99c pineapples, and $3.99/# bacon.

I have my eye on one more deal.  Hannaford has a large end rib roast for $6.99/#.  The picture in the ad suggests bone in.  They have a $3 off $30 coupon as well.   

Looks like New Hampshire will be enjoying steak dinners at a reasonable price for the foreseeable future.  Turkey and ham deals were also in abundance.  69c/#sweet potato, 79c/# baking potatoes, and 99c/# green beans will be on my Christmas dinner menu.  Good times!

• Like 3

I hit one of our Walmart stores today for random items and walked through their Christmas section. After not having any fake trees for the last few weeks, it looks like they got a shipment in. The shelves were full of them...not sure they will sell at this point.  I feel like most people figured out what to do by now if they wanted a tree. 

They also had several of their BF items in the clearance aisle. I didn't have time to look closely enough to see if they were discounted, but it sure seems like people just weren't that interested in what they were selling this year.  Hoping for better next year. 

I’m curious, did people actually run into a lot of supply issues or shipping issues this year? I wasn’t shopping for much but I was able to find everything I wanted relatively easily and my package delivery times were faster than they have been all year. It made all the hype about scarcity and shopping early seem over the top and unnecessary and I was wondering if I was just really lucky or if other people had similar experiences. As we are all wrapping things up I’d love to hear about everyone else’s take on this now that we can look back on it with 20/20 hindsight. Thanks! Edited by budgetsRsexy

I’m curious, did people actually run into a lot of supply issues or shipping issues this year? I wasn’t shopping for much but I was able to find everything I wanted relatively easily and my package delivery times were faster than they have been all year. It made all the hype about scarcity and shopping early seem over the top and unnecessary and I was wondering if I was just really lucky or if other people had similar experiences. As we are all wrapping things up I’d love to hear about everyone else’s take on this now that we can look back on it with 20/20 hindsight. Thanks!

For Christmas gifts, I had no issues finding or receiving items once I figured out what I wanted to give. All my QVC purchases arrived in a timely fashion as well as Amazon.  It did take a few extra days than I thought was normal for a Vera Bradley order to be delivered but that was it.  For household items, I haven’t been able to find my favorite brand of hairspray or Quilted Northern toilet tissue in my Walmart for about 3 weeks now but that’s it.  

The only item I've found out of stock was corn syrup, but the same chain store 2 miles up the road had it.

The only shipping issues I had was with LaserShip (I'm not the only one!), but everything did eventually arrive although 1 took almost 4 weeks. And I had another company take 11 days to ship, but I didn't have a great feeling even though I was before their deadline, so I didn't order any gifts from them. That may arrive today or tomorrow. But if not, I'll have a brand new door mat for next year. :)

I am still waiting on a pair of Bearpaw slippers I ordered from Walmart during BF to be delivered... the original delivery date was Dec 16... I received a delivery delay email Dec 15 and an out of stock email as of Dec 22... Edited by tracy0504