Shop Early! Possible Shortages Loom This Holiday Season

magickallight

We were in Walmart over the weekend and noticed a lot of people buying trees, we bought some new lights. Normally they have most of their Christmas stuff out but they don't even have half out yet. Even the amount of the Fall and Halloween decorations etc is a lot less than normal. Lots of empty areas in the toys section too.

Ya that’s what we were seeing also. Kind of make me sad lol
  • Like 1

I can't remember where I saw it last week, but I remember reading that now they're saying there is a shortage on cardboard boxes for shipping online orders. Everything is just getting so unbelievably crazy. When is it going to stop?

That explains my sister's delivery last week. She had ordered 2 tackle bags. They were sitting on her porch, no box, no plastic bag, just the canvas backpacks.

• Like 2

I can't remember where I saw it last week, but I remember reading that now they're saying there is a shortage on cardboard boxes for shipping online orders. Everything is just getting so unbelievably crazy. When is it going to stop?

I ordered a package of underwear that came in the regular package with a shipping label slapped on. I’m all for less packing but I’d rather the neighbors not see my preference of panties!

• Like 9

I ordered a package of underwear that came in the regular package with a shipping label slapped on. I’m all for less packing but I’d rather the neighbors not see my preference of panties!

OMG!  I know I shouldn’t be but I’m dying laughing at this! Good lord have mercy. I’d die of embarrassment. But, I mean, unless someone was desperate for panties you stood very little chance of porch pirates stealing that. 

• Like 4

My mom stopped to grab a few things at a local grocery store and said they'd just got in turkeys- the cheapest was over $30! She didn't grab it because she wasn't sure if she was hosting Thanksgiving or not this year but the sticker shock is real.
  • Like 1

And trying to find stocking stuffers for people on Amazon, I saw a lot of stuff saying November/December delivery because it's OOS. Target's having toys going in and out of stock like crazy, and nothing that you'd think would be a hot item. I'm talking like cheaper RC cars, puzzles, Little People, etc.

Another group I'm in, ordered Advent calendars and they keep getting delayed more and more. Makes me glad I grabbed ours over the summer during a Amazon warehouse sale.

• Like 2

All the shortages are crazy! My granddaughter likes Bluey. I had never heard of it until this summer. Finding Bluey toys is hard. If you see something you like, get it because the next day it might be gone. If you look online you might find it but the price will be four or five times higher than the original price in the store.

Grocery shopping is a challenge. A lot of items are out of stock. Even if it looks like the store has a lot of stuff, it might be just spread out with single items in the row. It looks as bad as last summer when shortages were reported due to plant/ processing centers closed for covid at times

• Like 2

First shopping day of the new week...

Grapes $0.77/lb

Eye Round Roast $2.77/lb

Green Giant Frozen Vegetables $0.99/7-10oz package

Green Giant Canned Vegetables $0.99/14.5-15.25oz can

Smoothies, Jerky, and Sides covered.

Stopped in to Hannaford this morning.  Wanted some boneless pork chops for later this week.  Trick or Treat candy was plentiful.  I bought mine earlier, but I really like candy so I need to supplement my stock.  I got four THICK pork chops for $1.99/lb plus two thick pork chops for the same price.  I got a whole chicken for $0.89/lb.  At six pounds, it's a little large for my rotisserie, but perfect for a weekend slow cooker meal with those little potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and...whatever has been in the refrigerator a little too long.  Pineapples were $1.69 each.  Canned from Aldis is still a better deal, but I really enjoy liberating the fruit.  Headed for the dehydrator.

Very jubilant and festive atmosphere.  Lots of socializing among the shoppers.  I'm really happy about that.  For way too long, people were alone in the stores -- keeping their distance, walking one way, and mumbling through masks.  I have a feeling this is going to be a merry Christmas for retailers.

Next stop is Market Basket where I will buy Eggs $0.99/dozen, collard greens $1.29/bunch, yams $0.79/lb, and sweet onions $0.79/lb.

At least in New England, the shelves remain full of inexpensive groceries.

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 1

I succumbed to peer pressure today and set out on an emergency Thanksgiving shopping spree to ensure that one of the hundreds of turkeys at local grocers would be in my oven Thanksgiving. 

Turkeys were more plentiful than on my last trip with Marketbasket showcasing a half dozen brands.  I grabbed a ten pound bird for $0.79 per pound.  Great size, great price.  Had to make some room in the freezer.  Even a ten pound turkey takes up a lot of space.

Other things I found...

• $0.99/dozen Large Eggs
  • $1.50/pint Blueberries
  • $1.99/half gallon of Silk Vanilla Almond Milk
  • $1.77/pound Boneless Pork Loin
  • $7.79/pound Atlantic Salmon
  • $0.49 each Mangos
  • $0.49/pound Jalapeno Peppers
  • $1.29/pound Green Beans
  • $12.19/gallon Peanut Oil

Still no empty shelves.  Still everything I want.  Still great prices.  Plus i got my turkey :woot2:

• Like 2

My mom stopped to grab a few things at a local grocery store and said they'd just got in turkeys- the cheapest was over $30! She didn't grab it because she wasn't sure if she was hosting Thanksgiving or not this year but the sticker shock is real.

Here they are always expensive until they go on sale the week before Thanksgiving, then you get them for cheaper if you spend $20 at the store.  They are never on sale before that.

Here in North Texas a lot of holes at WM, Target, Sams and Costco.  

No surprise.  During the Marketbasket strike, Walmart's shelves were bare while another local grocer (Hannaford) installed extra registers, hired additional employees, and secured local production that Marketbasket could not use.  Agile corporations with short supply chains are much better prepared to react to market change than bureaucratic corporations.

That is one of MANY reasons I eschew the corporations you named.

Our Walmart had turkeys today for .99/lb.  Turkey breast is 1.88/lb, which is pretty good for our area.  My local butcher has ground beef for 2.49/lb, still.  I get 10 or 20 lbs at a time (it's pre-packaged fresh into 1 pound sections).  

Walmart was out of Gatorade, which has been hit or miss for the past several months, anyway.  

Yesterday we went with a large group to a local bar/grill type place that specializes in wings, for lunch.  They were out of bone-in wings.  Lots of disappointed guys; apparently the national wing shortage is real.  lol 

I bet we will start relying more on homemade products than imports moving forward. Well at least I hope we do. If anything these past 2 years has showed that we rely touch on foreign made products.

Agreed, when I can I try to purchase products made in the US. I like supporting our manufacturers.

• Like 2

Our Walmart had turkeys today for .99/lb. Turkey breast is 1.88/lb, which is pretty good for our area. My local butcher has ground beef for 2.49/lb, still. I get 10 or 20 lbs at a time (it's pre-packaged fresh into 1 pound sections).

Walmart was out of Gatorade, which has been hit or miss for the past several months, anyway.

Yesterday we went with a large group to a local bar/grill type place that specializes in wings, for lunch. They were out of bone-in wings. Lots of disappointed guys; apparently the national wing shortage is real. lol

Our Walmart had only Turkeys, no breasts. I was able to find at my local grocery store though.

Gatorade....my boys live on this stuff and it is very hit or miss here. Sam's club finally had it in stock this week. Crazy which items come and go.

• Like 1

Our Walmart had only Turkeys, no breasts. I was able to find at my local grocery store though.

Gatorade....my boys live on this stuff and it is very hit or miss here. Sam's club finally had it in stock this week. Crazy which items come and go.

Our Sam’s has been hit or miss with the Gatorade/Powerade also. They have also been out of the cases of plastic bottles coke too.

• Like 1

This is something I haven't seen before ... Came up this morning on an under $4 GOLD BOX Deal at Amazon ...

Extended delivery time:

Some low-priced Prime-eligible items, such as this, have an extended delivery window.

Common reasons for an extended delivery window include items restricted to ground shipping

and items that require extra time to prepare for shipment.

Sounds a little like BS to me. I just love paying so much for Prime and waiting at least a week to get my items!

• Like 2

FINALLY!  Bare shelves in New Hampshire.  On the first day of the ad, store brand k-cups were all but sold out.  Of course, the k-cups were 12.5c each, so it may have just been a demand thing, right?  Limit of two boxes per person with a best by date of 12/16/2022, so I got an Italian Roast and a French Roast.  Wish me luck!  Other things on my list... 

• Blackberries $2/pint
  • Bacon $3.99/lb
  • New England Coffee 33c per k-cup
  • Shredded cheese $1.59/8 oz
  • Pineapple 99c each

@magickallight, I agree about Amazon Prime.  LOTS of stuff arriving outside the two day window for a very long time.  If you chat with them, you will usually get a $5 credit.  

Amazon No Longer Offers 2-Day Shipping...Here's What To Do About It (rather-be-shopping.com)

• Like 1

I'm hoping target pulls through for me with a spectacular ad..looking for a 55-65in TV for my sons room(walmart disappointed with no cheap tvs) and need luggage sets for a trip(again walmart always has the 3pc set for 50 but not this yr) and usually kohls has a nice tfal pan set for around $50, but nope not this year. Ugghhh
  • Like 1

I'm hoping target pulls through for me with a spectacular ad..looking for a 55-65in TV for my sons room(walmart disappointed with no cheap tvs) and need luggage sets for a trip(again walmart always has the 3pc set for 50 but not this yr) and usually kohls has a nice tfal pan set for around $50, but nope not this year. Ugghhh

Going through the same thing for the tv problem. My son is wanting a Xbox and tv for Christmas now. The tv he has is a 32 inch and just a little too small for him to play on. We wanted to get him a 50-55 inch but so far no luck on good prices for Black Friday. Hopefully Target or Best Buy pulls through. I think Macy's might have a luggage set. I was needing one since I am taking a trip in March but ended up winning a Samsonite Volante luggage set a couple weeks ago.