Prime Day sale to take place June 21-22 this year

Brad

Wonder if it’s to allow them to start BF sales earlier?

From the article:

"When asked about the Prime Day timing, CFO Brian Olsavsky said on a call with investors: “In many areas, July is vacation month, so it might be better for customers, sellers and vendors to experiment with a different time period. We believe that it might be better timing later in [the second quarter], so that’s what we’re testing this year.”

I think that's a pretty legit reason. There have been times when I was on vacation in July and had to "waste" 1-2 days running the site for a Prime Day sale.

Ya ya ya I didn’t read it. :)

It makes sense. We have skipped things in the past since we are at the cabin mostly in July. We can have things shipped there but it’s a pain when the car was already full going there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was watching The Today show this week. They had a retail analyst on saying since Walmart and Target have jumped on the bandwagon -to have their sales also during Prime dates - they said this couple of days will be Black Friday- don’t miss the sales and wait.
  • Like 2

This is my first year of having prime during this sale so I've never really checked it out. Are their sales really that great? Just wondering.

For me, it's really hit or miss.  Sometimes it seems like there's nothing but a gajillion watches. But then a 30 oz bottle of Vanilla pops up for $13 and it's all worth it. LOL

Seriously, it depends on what you need/want, I guess.  If you're in the market for an Amazon device, they are always marked down during Prime Days. Last year, I got a really good start on my Christmas shopping, but some years I haven't found anything I wanted to buy.

• Like 3

For me, it's really hit or miss. Sometimes it seems like there's nothing but a gajillion watches. But then a 30 oz bottle of Vanilla pops up for $13 and it's all worth it. LOL

Seriously, it depends on what you need/want, I guess. If you're in the market for an Amazon device, they are always marked down during Prime Days. Last year, I got a really good start on my Christmas shopping, but some years I haven't found anything I wanted to buy.

Should make your own vanilla. That’s what I do. :)

Thinking we may buy some Amazon devices to use as presents this Christmas.

• Like 1

I make mine in my Instant Pot. Still pricey to start, as you need to invest in vanilla beans, but a few beans go a long way. You can use vodka, bourbon, or brandy for the base, or food grade glycerine if you want nonalcoholic. I use potato vodka, so I can use it during Passover, as all of the other options are considered to be made with chometz or kitnyot and therefore not allowed.

Slice about five vanilla beans lengthwise in half. Put them in to a safe canning mason jar. Fill with your liquid medium, leaving about an inch of head space at the top of the jar. Put on a new canning lid and lightly finger tighten.

Put a cup of water in the insert of the Instant Pot. Put in the trivet and set the vanilla and liquid filled mason jars on the trivet. Seal the Instant Pot and process for half an hour at high pressure. Allow pressure to fully release naturally before opening the Instant Pot, then remove the hard and set on a cooling rack overnight to cool completely.

Recipe writers say the vanilla can then be used right away. I prefer to store mine in a dark cabinet for at least two weeks, shaking the jars once a day. For my taste, using the vanilla right away still has a strong alcoholic flavor. Letting it sit for the two weeks before starting to use mellows it out drastically. And the longer it sits, the better it gets.

Technically, this method is an infusion, rather than an extract. But, it's quite yummy and works well in recipes.

• Like 4

I do mine a couple different ways.

I start with 4 to 7 Madagascar Vanilla beans. Split them length wise most of the length (I leave them attached at one end)

Insert it a glass Jar that is resealable (I have those pop top jars that look like they are for soda/beer

I fill the bottom with either a high end rum or a high end vodka depending on what profile I'm going for (I like what the rum brings to the party flavor profile wise)

Tilt the bottle top to bottom 6-8 times and place in a dark cool storage place

Once every week remove and shake again

Leave it sealed for a minimum of 8 weeks (shaking weekly)

I usually do 12-16 weeks minimum. We are going to start a batch of them in August as part of our Christmas presents for some family and wife's co-workers.

SOOOOOO much better than the stuff bought in store.

Oh and if you want you can use the beans in some sugar once you're done and you have vanilla sugar. BONUS :)

• Like 4

I do mine a couple different ways.

I start with 4 to 7 Madagascar Vanilla beans. Split them length wise most of the length (I leave them attached at one end)

Insert it a glass Jar that is resealable (I have those pop top jars that look like they are for soda/beer

I fill the bottom with either a high end rum or a high end vodka depending on what profile I'm going for (I like what the rum brings to the party flavor profile wise)

Tilt the bottle top to bottom 6-8 times and place in a dark cool storage place

Once every week remove and shake again

Leave it sealed for a minimum of 8 weeks (shaking weekly)

I usually do 12-16 weeks minimum. We are going to start a batch of them in August as part of our Christmas presents for some family and wife's co-workers.

SOOOOOO much better than the stuff bought in store.

Oh and if you want you can use the beans in some sugar once you're done and you have vanilla sugar. BONUS :)

That's what I do too. I also make lemon extract/sugar and orange extract/sugar.

• Like 2

Should make your own vanilla. That’s what I do. :)

I have looked into this so many times, and I'm always just a little bit intimidated :).  I'm in a baking group on Facebook and a lot of them make their own. I just haven't pulled the proverbial trigger yet.

• Like 3

Has anyone who owns/owned an Echo spot upgraded to an Echo Show 5? Thoughts?

My Spot has been having screen jumping off and on for about a year now and it’s getting more frequent and more annoying.  Sometimes it won’t respond to my instructions either.  I outright screamed at Alexa yesterday morning to turn the bleeping alarm off and nothing.  LOL.  Highly disappointed that it hasn’t lasted longer than it did before issues set in.  

I have looked into this so many times, and I'm always just a little bit intimidated :).  I'm in a baking group on Facebook and a lot of them make their own. I just haven't pulled the proverbial trigger yet.

Should just give it a try.

My Spot has been having screen jumping off and on for about a year now and it’s getting more frequent and more annoying.  Sometimes it won’t respond to my instructions either.  I outright screamed at Alexa yesterday morning to turn the bleeping alarm off and nothing.  LOL.  Highly disappointed that it hasn’t lasted longer than it did before issues set in.  

I've thought about one so I can use it with our Ring, but to be honest I rarely use our Echo's with Alexa lol Right now it can't spy on me (not plugged in)

I have looked into this so many times, and I'm always just a little bit intimidated :). I'm in a baking group on Facebook and a lot of them make their own. I just haven't pulled the proverbial trigger yet.

Same! Last year I even purchased some vanilla beans. But never bought any vodka. Maybe I'll get to it soon.

• Like 1

My Spot has been having screen jumping off and on for about a year now and it’s getting more frequent and more annoying. Sometimes it won’t respond to my instructions either. I outright screamed at Alexa yesterday morning to turn the bleeping alarm off and nothing. LOL. Highly disappointed that it hasn’t lasted longer than it did before issues set in.

I did. My Spot was doing the same thing.

I miss my Spot. The Echo Show sound is not as good.

Edited by speeddiva
  • Like 1

I’m to ingrained with Alexa. We have lots of dots. We have some hue lights only the regular ones, smart plugs, and led strip lights from Amazon.  My husband put them above the cabinets, under the cabinets by the floor. Under the top cabinets plug in lights  we have them under the kitchen table, pool table and on the ceiling above pool table. Lamps in three rooms, outside on patio,Nader table on the umbrella, and on privacy plant trellis. Switch to turn on stereo.  We have them in the master bathroom. It’s nic when in bed to tun all the lights off. We have had hue lights, around 2016 or 17. Those are just the regular light bulbs and none have burned out.

• Like 1

I’m to ingrained with Alexa. We have lots of dots. We have some hue lights only the regular ones, smart plugs, and led strip lights from Amazon.  My husband put them above the cabinets, under the cabinets by the floor. Under the top cabinets plug in lights  we have them under the kitchen table, pool table and on the ceiling above pool table. Lamps in three rooms, outside on patio,Nader table on the umbrella, and on privacy plant trellis. Switch to turn on stereo.  We have them in the master bathroom. It’s nic when in bed to tun all the lights off. We have had hue lights, around 2016 or 17. Those are just the regular light bulbs and none have burned out.

Nice start!

I have looked into this so many times, and I'm always just a little bit intimidated :). I'm in a baking group on Facebook and a lot of them make their own. I just haven't pulled the proverbial trigger yet.

Likewise and mostly because I don’t use alcohol for anything in my house (save for rubbing alcohol). I don’t want to spend the money on something I’ll never otherwise use. lol

• Like 2