Official Thanksgiving Day Store Closing Megathread

Brad

Target will be closed on Thanksgiving Day

https://corporate.target.com/article/2021/01/holiday-2020

“We also closed our stores on Thanksgiving Day in order to minimize crowds and help our guests take the stress out of getting the best deals of the season. The response was so positive that we’ll carry it forward this year, keeping our Target stores closed all day long on Thanksgiving Day.

Edit: Dick's Sporting Goods has made a similar announcement.

• Like 5

This could go either way, so I hope it's good news for us traditionalists.  I absolutely hated the spread out sales, but I loved being able to sit around after Thanksgiving dinner (as small as that was this year).  

I would imagine the other big players will follow suit, and they will all be closed Thanksgiving again. I just hope the bulk of the sales is the weekend after and not the month before.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
As a part time worker (my 2nd gig) at Target I can say I am happy about this news... I like being home with my family on Thanksgiving, not having to hurry up and cook, eat and then rush to work... And I can tell you the way they did it in 2020 there was still a good amount of foot traffic in the evenings during the BF sales weeks, it was just spread out over the weeks... The way it was set up was perfect as far as what was on sale each week, so if there was nothing you wanted during week one, you didn't have to fight crowds or stand in line to get that one item you want... the guest decided whether they wanted to come out and shop based on what was on sale each week...I'm not in my 20s/30s anymore and I can't hang like I use to [emoji23][emoji23] I personally like it this way...
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Good.  I hope this stays.  Stores don't need to be open Thanksgiving, and don't lose sales if all of them are closed that day.

I'm ambivalent.  As long as employees are not punished for taking the holiday, I don't have a problem with those that choose to work.  When I was a kid, I made a LOT of money working holidays and Sundays.  I would imagine a lot of workers will be hurt by the loss of income.

I don't go out much on BF these days.  We used to stop at Walmart on the way home from Thanksgiving with the in-laws.  I got a couple of phone deals that way.