GottaDEAL 2021 Black Friday Prize Club Thread

Brad

Checking in for September!!! I am soooooo excited for autumn and the holidays this year. My baby is now 15 months old so she’s starting to understand some stuff - can’t wait to go pumpkin picking and BF shopping with her!!

Anyone got any leads on toy deals for BF? LOL!

• Like 2

Sitting here just thinking about what to post for this month.  Listening to 90's music and thinking how I wish I got a chance to shop on Black Friday back in the 90's.  I was still in school then, but even still living in a rural area, it would have been tough.  I watched an old video of a local fire district putting on a live demonstration of extraction in 1985, and while it was cool to watch the helicopter fly in, I was much more excited to see the brand new Walmart in the background, and a local store called "Place's" in the background.  The scenery has changed so much since the 80's and even the 90's, that I wouldn't even know where to begin when telling my nephews and nieces how things once looked.  I guess that's how my parents would feel when telling me how it was between when they were growing up to more modern times.

Happy September everyone. This last week has really taken its toll on me. Dropped my DD off at college two weeks ago in New Orleans. Then here comes the hurricane and they cancelled her flight out of there. It has been nerve wrecking and stressful but she is okay. The school is transporting all remaining students to Texas and I plan on flying her home from there. Not sure if I want to send her back now...

• Like 5

Welcome to September and cooler temperatures.

Happy August!  Two weeks of work for me, then off to Europe for 2 weeks of vacation.  Keeping my fingers crossed that Delta (the variant, not the airline) does not interfere.

Well, Delta did interfere.  We cancelled the trip to Europe two days before departure due to concern that my daughter might not get back on time for the start of her senior year of college if she got a positive COVID test.  So we took a nice car trip to North Carolina, Charleston, Savanna, and St. Augustine and the Roanoke area.

• Like 3

Happy SeptemBERRRRRR!  Woke up this morning to cooler temps, after raining for much of the night - right on schedule. 

August seemed like the longest month of my life. Our dishwasher went out after 22 years (!) so we ended up with a new one after DH and I had many "discussions" around what he/I/we wanted.  I think we both won with Miele, which I had never heard of before.  Seems like a really good machine so far, and so quiet I can't hear it running unless I'm standing right next to it. 

School started, we've already been quarantined once, both boys went back today.  Hockey tryouts took place, results are posted, everyone made it. whew

Bring on fall!!

I cannot remember life before Plex.  I've used Plex to serve up videos for as long as I can remember.  I paid for a Plex Pass so that I could watch and record broadcast television via an HDHomerun.  Plex has always intrigued me, always brimmed with potential, and always failed the WAF test.  The WAF test is Wife Acceptance Factor or the likelihood that a solution will be embraced by nontechnical people.  To be honest, despite having a robust library, it is rare that I run the Plex app on a television.

I think that is about to change.  Three changes have made Plex a very interesting television option...

• A 'modern' user interface  The latest Plex update introduced a new user interface which is tiled, but includes a description of the highlighted program.
  • Content  Plex is a 'free content' provider adding 14,000 on demand movies and 100+ channels of streamed 'live tv' 
  • ATSC 3.0  Plex supports 4K OTA Free TV via the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex 4K.
Plex pluses include...

• Unattended viewing  Autoplay option facilitates binge viewing and lets me doze off to a favorite show.  Autoplay stops after two hours of inactivity.  Setting the television to do the same means I wake up to a quiet home after falling asleep to television.
  • Antenna flexibility  Plex integrates multiple network tuners so you can point multiple antennas to broadcast stations in different directions for best OTA reception -- no rotors is a good thing.
Plex server requirements are modest.  I run it on the HP Pavilion 590p0050 I bought in November of 2019...

• 2.8GHz Intel Core i5-8400 6-core processor with up to 4GHz turbo frequency and 9MB cache memory
  • 16GB memory
  • 1TB hard drive
  • 16GB Optane
  • GTX 1650 OC 4GB
Plex runs in the background and I do not even notice.  In fact, at times, I run the Plex web client on the same PC as I am running the server while doing other stuff.  No problems.  I use USB 3.0 disks for storage.

Right now, you can get a PC for use as a Plex server for $249.00.

Happy September!

This seriously intrigues me. But, although I know you truly are describing everything in simple, layman terms, it still flies way over my comprehension. I'm afraid I would need to hire someone, show them your posts, and say, "that's what I want."

Thank you for writing all of this up, though. One day, I'm going to do just that!

Hello BER months!  1st day of meteorological fall is not feeling so fall like. Today is supposed to be the hottest day of our year so far :(.

September is a busy month. OU & OSU football starts the 4th, grandson birthday on the 4th, grandson birthday on the 7th, my birthday on the 13th, grandson birthday on the 25th, son birthday on the 28th. Phew. I'm already tired. (and we won't talk about how I listed college football before my grandson's birthday  :gdblush: ).

• Like 2

This seriously intrigues me. But, although I know you truly are describing everything in simple, layman terms, it still flies way over my comprehension. I'm afraid I would need to hire someone, show them your posts, and say, "that's what I want."

Thank you for writing all of this up, though. One day, I'm going to do just that!

It's not that hard.  You do not have to do everything at once.  First step is to determine if over-the-air or FREE TV is an option.  If you want to post or PM the GPS coordinates of the spot you expect to put an antenna or your street address, I can tell you what you can expect to receive.

• Like 1

wooo-HOOO!!!

I just received this text from Krystin Jones, the coordinator for P.ink Washington State. Quoting with her permission.

(please pardon the language)

"Hi I'm happy to let you know you are one of gals receiving a tattoo this year. If you would call me when you have some time to talk so I can go over details and what to expect next. Holy shit congratulations girl!! I look forward to talking with you soon."

P.Ink Day is an annual event, where free decorative tattoos are given to breast cancer survivors/thrivers over their mastectomy and reconstruction scars.

• Like 2

Happy September everyone. This last week has really taken its toll on me. Dropped my DD off at college two weeks ago in New Orleans. Then here comes the hurricane and they cancelled her flight out of there. It has been nerve wrecking and stressful but she is okay. The school is transporting all remaining students to Texas and I plan on flying her home from there. Not sure if I want to send her back now...

Oh my word!  What a way to start college!  So glad she’s ok though. 

Happy September!  First day of meteorological fall and Little Rock hit 100 degrees today.  My city only got to 97 with a “feels like” of 107.  We are desperate for rain too.   COvid is still bad here.  Record number of patients on ventilators in the state.  My hospital has had no covid beds available at all for the last 3 weeks….regular beds or ICU beds.  In fact we’ve had no ICU beds of any type available for about a week and a half now.  I stay home even though I’m vaccinated.  Can’t afford to get sick.  Work stinks to high heaven.  We are so short staffed now that it’s likely no one will get any PTO days of for the foreseeable future.  Sigh.  

Anywho, hope everyone is doing well and I’m looking forward to the day that some cooler weather comes my way……in January or February probably.   

• Like 1