Laptop question

jesusluvu

My friend got two of the 55s after buying a 50.  The 50 is a good deal, but..

Len looking for a new laptop for school. Minei s on its last leg. There was a HP Pavillion i nthe Staples paper and if my memory serves me, you usually have or find great coupons for staples. Do you have any tips....

First, post the specs of your current computer.  Tell me what kind of things you will be doing on your new computer (Office, engineering apps, games -- specific examples of apps/programs, if you can).  Let me know how long you need your battery to last, range of display sized (at least but no more than preferring...) and what your budget is.

• Like 1

First, post the specs of your current computer.  Tell me what kind of things you will be doing on your new computer (Office, engineering apps, games -- specific examples of apps/programs, if you can).  Let me know how long you need your battery to last, range of display sized (at least but no more than preferring...) and what your budget is.

This is actually my backup computer I am using. I other one -- well lets just say my temper got the best of me that day --- I will be using office,Adobe, Hubspot, Freshbooks, and Asana are my main apps. But netflix, espn, etc. I usually do not play games on my computer, but do surf, bills, etc. I would prefer a decent battery life, but I have packs for that as well. Minimum of 15.6 display. Eyes are getting old, and would prefer a full keyboard eith number pad. Pad is not a must but would prefer it. 

I am mostly using 17" laptops these days, but my personal laptop is a 15.6.  You did not mention your budget.  I won't assume it's unlimited since you are inquiring here.

********** RIGHT NOW **********

I like this computer.  Asus is a great manufacturer.  i7, 8GB, SSD, and AC radio should make this a blazing fast computer.  High res screen, backlit keyboard, fingerprint reader, 8 hour battery, and $520 earn this laptop a look.  You may want to check out the TN screen in person.  Some people do not like TN screens.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6606531/ASUS-VivoBook-15-Laptop-156-Screen

$519.99 ASUS® VivoBook 15 Laptop, 15.6” Screen, Intel® Core™ i7, 8GB Memory, 256GB Solid State Drive, Windows® 10, F512JA-OH71 Item # 6606531

• 15.6" anti-glare LCD with FHD (1920 x 1080) resolution presents a bright, clear picture. Features LED backlighting for a thinner, more energy-efficient screen.
  • Get the processing power you need from a 10th Gen Intel Core i7. Multitask like a pro while playing, working or surfing the Web.
  • 8GB of memory is available to run your programs and games.
  • 256GB solid state drive holds your digital files. Solid state drives are generally lighter, quieter, more cost-efficient and may consume less energy than the traditional hard drive.
  • Wireless-AC (802.11ac) delivers high-performance, cable-free networking. Send files to the Cloud, surf the Web and check up on social media.
  • microSD™ card reader helps make file transfers simple.
  • Features 2 USB 2.0 ports, 1 USB 3.2 port and 1 USB 3.2 Type-C port for ultra-fast data transfers.
  • 720p HD webcam lets you video chat with friends, family and colleagues.
  • SonicMaster audio helps bring your media to life with rich, clear sound.
  • Bluetooth® wireless technology makes it easy to pair with enabled printers, headphones and other devices.
  • Use the HDMI™ port to view content on an HDTV (HDMI cable sold separately).
  • Backlit keyboard makes it easy to work late into the evening.
  • Fingerprint reader provides security.
  • Stays powered for up to 8 hours. Battery life will vary depending on the product configuration, product model, applications loaded on the product, power management setting of the product, and the product features used by the customer. As with all batteries, the maximum capacity of this battery will decrease with time and usage.
  • Runs on Microsoft® Windows 10 Home.
  • Backed by the manufacturer's 1-year limited warranty.
  • Intel, the Intel Logo, Intel Inside, the Intel Inside logo, Intel Core, Intel Atom, Celeron, Pentium and Pentium Inside are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.

***** BLACK FRIDAY ADs ******

I kind of like this laptop for $430...

https://www.staples.com/hp-17-by3065st-17-3-notebook-intel-i5-8gb-memory-128gb-ssd-1tb-hard-drive-windows-10-silver/product_24439846

• 1GHz Intel Core i5-1035G1 quad-core processor with up to 3.6GHz speed and 6MB cache memory
  • 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD enable you to store thousands of files
  • Windows 10 Home gives you the familiar feel of Windows with enhanced capabilities
  • 8GB memory smoothly runs your games, photo and video editing applications
  • DDR4 RAM: with its higher bandwidth, everything from multitasking to playing games gets a performance boost
  • HD+ 1600 x 900 display: enjoy your photos, movies, and games with the crisp quality of 1.4 million pixels
  • Get comfortable with an expansive 17.3" screen that makes streaming, scrolling, and multitasking easy and enjoyable
  • Intel UHD Graphics provides everyday image quality for Internet use, basic photo editing, and casual gaming
  • Improved 802.11ax 2 x 2 Wi-Fi antenna delivers a stronger, more reliable Internet connection than before
  • 41Wh lithium-ion battery with a run time of up to 9 hours
  • 1-year manufacturer limited warranty

Your old eyes probably will be forgiving of the 1600x900 screen.  If not, you can return it.

If you are feeling a little less thrifty and do not need 1TB of local storage, I love Lenovo laptops.  My personal laptop is a Lenovo 310-15isk (i7-6500u, 12GB, 1366x768).  This one costs $500.

https://www.staples.com/lenovo-ideapad-3-17iml05-81wc-17-3-notebook-intel-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-windows-10-81wc0014us/product_24437974

• 1.6GHz Intel Core i5-10210U quad-core processor with up to 4.2GHz speed and 6MB cache memory
  • 256GB SSD keeps your running programs active while your computer resumes from suspension in seconds
  • Windows 10 Home gives you the familiar feel of Windows with enhanced capabilities
  • 8GB memory smoothly runs your games and photo and video editing applications
  • DDR4 RAM: with its higher bandwidth, everything from multitasking to playing games gets a performance boost
  • Features Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution for unbelievable pixel-by-pixel image performance
  • Get comfortable with an expansive 17.3" screen that makes streaming, scrolling, and multitasking easy and enjoyable
  • Intel UHD Graphics provides everyday image quality for Internet usage, basic photo editing, and casual gaming
  • Improved 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2x2 Wi-Fi antenna delivers a stronger, more reliable Internet connection than before
  • 42Wh lithium-ion battery with a run time of up to nine hours
  • ⚠ WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including lead, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov

At 15.6" there are a couple attractive laptops.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad-3-15-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-1035g1-12gb-memory-256gb-ssd-platinum-grey/6426712.p?skuId=6426712

Lenovo - IdeaPad 3 15" Touch Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5-1035G1 - 12GB Memory - 256GB SSD - Platinum Grey for $350

For $500, this one has a backlit keyboard and a really nice screen...

https://www.staples.com/hp-pavilion-15-cs3065st-15-6-notebook-intel-i5-8gb-memory-16gb-ssd-1tb-hard-drive-windows-10-home-13q25ua-aba/product_24441414

• 1GHz Intel Core i5-1035G1 quad-core processor with up to 3.6GHz speed and 6MB cache memory
  • 1TB SATA HDD with 5400 rpm spindle speed provides enough space to store all your documents and multimedia content, while 16GB PCIe NVMe Intel Optane memory allows for storage acceleration
  • Windows 10 Home: do great things confidently with the familiar feel of Windows, only better
  • 8GB RAM memory seamlessly handles multiple programs together
  • DDR4-2666 SDRAM: with its higher bandwidth, everything from multitasking to playing games gets a performance boost
  • Features Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution for unbelievable pixel-by-pixel image performance
  • 15.6" screen allows a great view of movies and TV shows and yet is small enough to carry easily
  • Smoothly stream content and play your favorite games with Intel UHD graphics
  • Features a full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad
  • Enjoy a smoother wireless experience with Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11b/g/n/ac (1x1) and Bluetooth 4.2 combo
  • Three-cell 41Wh lithium-ion battery with a run time of up to 8 hours and 30 minutes
  • Pair with an MU-MIMO router for a smoother online experience in multi-device homes
  • Go from 0 to 50% charge in approximately 45 minutes with HP Fast Charge technology
  • HP Wide Vision FHD IR camera with integrated dual-array digital microphone has an 88-degree wide-angle field of view for video chats with the whole family
  • Software included: Wild Tangent Games for HP, HP BIOS protection, HP Jumpstart, HP Support Assistant, Netflix, HP Audio Switch, HP Connection Optimizer, Dropbox cloud storage, HP 3D DriveGuard, and a free 30-day McAfee LiveSafe trial
  • Features mineral silver aluminum top cover and natural silver aluminum keyboard deck with a sandblasted finish
  • Equipped with Kensington Nano Security lock slot
  • Meets or exceeds ENERGY STAR and EPEAT Silver standards
  • 1-year manufacturer limited warranty; 90-day limited technical support for software and initial setup

Not really a good year for inexpensive laptops.  A lot of low end gaming machines, but they are not inexpensive.  If I come across something else, I'll add it to this post.

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 3

I am mostly using 17" laptops these days, but my personal laptop is a 15.6.  You did not mention your budget.  I won't assume it's unlimited since you are inquiring here.

********** RIGHT NOW **********

I like this computer.  Asus is a great manufacturer.  i7, 8GB, SSD, and AC radio should make this a blazing fast computer.  High res screen, backlit keyboard, fingerprint reader, 8 hour battery, and $520 earn this laptop a look.  You may want to check out the TN screen in person.  Some people do not like TN screens.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6606531/ASUS-VivoBook-15-Laptop-156-Screen

$519.99 ASUS® VivoBook 15 Laptop, 15.6” Screen, Intel® Core™ i7, 8GB Memory, 256GB Solid State Drive, Windows® 10, F512JA-OH71 Item # 6606531

• 15.6" anti-glare LCD with FHD (1920 x 1080) resolution presents a bright, clear picture. Features LED backlighting for a thinner, more energy-efficient screen.
  • Get the processing power you need from a 10th Gen Intel Core i7. Multitask like a pro while playing, working or surfing the Web.
  • 8GB of memory is available to run your programs and games.
  • 256GB solid state drive holds your digital files. Solid state drives are generally lighter, quieter, more cost-efficient and may consume less energy than the traditional hard drive.
  • Wireless-AC (802.11ac) delivers high-performance, cable-free networking. Send files to the Cloud, surf the Web and check up on social media.
  • microSD™ card reader helps make file transfers simple.
  • Features 2 USB 2.0 ports, 1 USB 3.2 port and 1 USB 3.2 Type-C port for ultra-fast data transfers.
  • 720p HD webcam lets you video chat with friends, family and colleagues.
  • SonicMaster audio helps bring your media to life with rich, clear sound.
  • Bluetooth® wireless technology makes it easy to pair with enabled printers, headphones and other devices.
  • Use the HDMI™ port to view content on an HDTV (HDMI cable sold separately).
  • Backlit keyboard makes it easy to work late into the evening.
  • Fingerprint reader provides security.
  • Stays powered for up to 8 hours. Battery life will vary depending on the product configuration, product model, applications loaded on the product, power management setting of the product, and the product features used by the customer. As with all batteries, the maximum capacity of this battery will decrease with time and usage.
  • Runs on Microsoft® Windows 10 Home.
  • Backed by the manufacturer's 1-year limited warranty.
  • Intel, the Intel Logo, Intel Inside, the Intel Inside logo, Intel Core, Intel Atom, Celeron, Pentium and Pentium Inside are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.

***** BLACK FRIDAY ADs ******

I kind of like this laptop for $430...

https://www.staples.com/hp-17-by3065st-17-3-notebook-intel-i5-8gb-memory-128gb-ssd-1tb-hard-drive-windows-10-silver/product_24439846

• 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD enable you to store thousands of files
  • 8GB memory smoothly runs your games, photo and video editing applications
  • HD+ 1600 x 900 display: enjoy your photos, movies, and games with the crisp quality of 1.4 million pixels
  • Intel UHD Graphics provides everyday image quality for Internet use, basic photo editing, and casual gaming
  • Improved 802.11ax 2 x 2 Wi-Fi antenna delivers a stronger, more reliable Internet connection than before
  • 41Wh lithium-ion battery with a run time of up to 9 hours
  • 1-year manufacturer limited warranty

Your old eyes probably will be forgiving of the 1600x900 screen.  If not, you can return it.

If you are feeling a little less thrifty and do not need 1TB of local storage, I love Lenovo laptops.  My personal laptop is a Lenovo 310-15isk (i7-6500u, 12GB, 1366x768).  This one costs $500.

https://www.staples.com/lenovo-ideapad-3-17iml05-81wc-17-3-notebook-intel-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-windows-10-81wc0014us/product_24437974

• 1.6GHz Intel Core i5-10210U quad-core processor with up to 4.2GHz speed and 6MB cache memory
  • 256GB SSD keeps your running programs active while your computer resumes from suspension in seconds
  • 8GB memory smoothly runs your games and photo and video editing applications
  • Intel UHD Graphics provides everyday image quality for Internet usage, basic photo editing, and casual gaming
  • Improved 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2x2 Wi-Fi antenna delivers a stronger, more reliable Internet connection than before
  • 42Wh lithium-ion battery with a run time of up to nine hours
  • ⚠ WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including lead, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov

At 15.6" there are a couple attractive laptops.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad-3-15-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-1035g1-12gb-memory-256gb-ssd-platinum-grey/6426712.p?skuId=6426712

Lenovo - IdeaPad 3 15" Touch Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5-1035G1 - 12GB Memory - 256GB SSD - Platinum Grey for $350

For $500, this one has a backlit keyboard and a really nice screen...

https://www.staples.com/hp-pavilion-15-cs3065st-15-6-notebook-intel-i5-8gb-memory-16gb-ssd-1tb-hard-drive-windows-10-home-13q25ua-aba/product_24441414

• 1TB SATA HDD with 5400 rpm spindle speed provides enough space to store all your documents and multimedia content, while 16GB PCIe NVMe Intel Optane memory allows for storage acceleration
  • Windows 10 Home: do great things confidently with the familiar feel of Windows, only better
  • 8GB RAM memory seamlessly handles multiple programs together
  • DDR4-2666 SDRAM: with its higher bandwidth, everything from multitasking to playing games gets a performance boost
  • 15.6" screen allows a great view of movies and TV shows and yet is small enough to carry easily
  • Smoothly stream content and play your favorite games with Intel UHD graphics
  • Features a full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad
  • Enjoy a smoother wireless experience with Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11b/g/n/ac (1x1) and Bluetooth 4.2 combo
  • Three-cell 41Wh lithium-ion battery with a run time of up to 8 hours and 30 minutes
  • Pair with an MU-MIMO router for a smoother online experience in multi-device homes
  • Go from 0 to 50% charge in approximately 45 minutes with HP Fast Charge technology
  • HP Wide Vision FHD IR camera with integrated dual-array digital microphone has an 88-degree wide-angle field of view for video chats with the whole family
  • Software included: Wild Tangent Games for HP, HP BIOS protection, HP Jumpstart, HP Support Assistant, Netflix, HP Audio Switch, HP Connection Optimizer, Dropbox cloud storage, HP 3D DriveGuard, and a free 30-day McAfee LiveSafe trial
  • Features mineral silver aluminum top cover and natural silver aluminum keyboard deck with a sandblasted finish
  • Equipped with Kensington Nano Security lock slot
  • Meets or exceeds ENERGY STAR and EPEAT Silver standards
  • 1-year manufacturer limited warranty; 90-day limited technical support for software and initial setup

Not really a good year for inexpensive laptops.  A lot of low end gaming machines, but they are not inexpensive.  If I come across something else, I'll add it to this post.

I was looking at the one from Staples, but will do a drive by and check these out this afternoon. Have exams in a few weeks and need something reliable. 

You're welcome.  Our PC experts are not around this year and the deals are not spectacular, but, in general, machines are fairly spectacular these days.  There are a LOT of gaming laptops out there.  If anyone is seriously shopping for a gaming laptop, I would be interested in recommendations.  It looks like the sweet spot in gaming laptops this year is a 1650/1650TI discrete GPU, a 256GB SSD, AC wireless, and 8GB of RAM.  The least expensive include a Rizen 5 CPU while the rest have a 10th gen i5 chip.  My bias is towards Intel chips, but the Rizen 5 seems to be faster.  I'm intrigued by a couple reasonably priced options...

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/69n5

Processor: 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-10300H (8MB Cache, up to 4.5 GHz, 4 cores)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Ti 4GB GDDR6
Display: 15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) 120Hz 250 nits WVA Anti- Glare LED Backlit Narrow Border Display
Hard Drive: 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
Memory: 8GB DDR4-2933MHz, 2x4G
Wireless: Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2x2) Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 5.1

Right now: $649.99

Backlit Keyboard
Screen Size 15.6 inches
Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080 (Full HD)
SSD 256 gigabytes
Solid State Drive Capacity 256 gigabytes
8 gigabytes
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
2.5 gigahertz Intel 10th Generation Core i5-10300H
Battery Life 9 hours

Right now: $599.99

Lenovo Legion 5i 15" Gaming Laptop w/ Core i5, 8GB, 512GB, 1650 Ti

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/Legion-5i-15/p/88GMY501434

$599.99 at Lenovo.com on 11/27 at 9:00am

HP - Pavilion 15.6" Gaming Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 - 256GB SSD - Shadow Black

$449.99 at Best Buy on 11/22

ASUS - TUF Gaming 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti - 256GB SSD - Black

$599.99 at Best Buy on 11/22