We cook this all the time. It is a big hit and easily made. It is still just as good the next day, too. You can add whatever meats you prefer, but we have decided we prefer just bacon. If you don't thaw the hash browns, the casserole will come out soggy. Still perfectly edible though!
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Test Kitchen tips
- Create a pretty burst of color and fresh flavor by adding a pinch of minced herbs to the egg mixture. Thyme and parsley are perfect candidates; try 1 teaspoon fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried.
- Cottage cheese is surprisingly versatile and almost disappears into this dish when baked.
- Assemble a day in advance, and bake just before serving.
Nutrition Facts 1 piece: 273 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 153mg cholesterol, 477mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
**Not sure why it won't post my pic!
Edited by laddhorn, Oct 31, 2020 - 7:06 am.