Anyone do crazy outdoor decorating every year?

Kanyon71

I've been ramping ours up over the last 3 years or so. I have a couple of hand built lighting controllers I've made to control my light shows. One of them is for standard plugin LED light strands and the other is for my newer light that are PIXEL lights.

The pixel lights I can control each individual light in the strand which gives me a lot more control over the types of effects I can pull off with the lights. This is my newest build so it's not as powerful as my other strand controller I built.

Sadly this year we aren't in our own house but I still may take time and build the new controller out to the point where I have the old style one and then maybe next year (old controller is in storage) I will give that one to my friend so he can have a cool show.

My old style controller is easier to setup a show, you just add the music into a specific folder on the controller, setup your hours you want it to run from a web interface (it has wireless built in) and then when the time of day starts it will start the show and rotate through the songs using a built in lighting sequencer.

The newer one I've only used for a small Halloween show last year, I have to actually go into sequencing software and build out the shows, I do it to music (both have FM transmitters in them), this takes a lot more time but I have far more control over what the lights do and when.

I hope to one day rival the Griswalds. :)

• Like 2

I always try and do more each year. The past couple years we had a box that played music and did a light show of sorts.my husbands work was throwing it out so we gave it a new home but this year it isn’t wanting to work so we probably won’t have that this year unfortunately.

I always do a ton of lights with a few blow ups. Last year I bought a bunch on clearance at Walmart so, I will be incorporating them.

• Like 2

I put an inflatable Grinch on my front porch ... does that count? ;)

I've got a big inflatable dragon, and that's pretty crazy for me, and my neighborhood. This year a gingerbread couple will be joining him, and that's going to be about all that will fit in the yard!

• Like 1

i have most years. one year i was over board as i let someone who normally does a HUGE display do it on my lawn and use an extra 2 rooms for storage of his xmas decorations as he was moving and would not be able to set his display in the old place .. he normally collects food and donations as part of his work. this year nothing set up yet. and not sure what we will set up

Nothing to crazy. My HOA would not like that to much ( even though I am the President - For some reason they scrutinize me a lot - no puns intended ) I usually keep it clean, crisp, with a splash of "yeah I did that". I love the holidays but I have always been scared of the clean up and storage if I went to big. One year...I think I will do it 

• Like 1

Nothing to crazy. My HOA would not like that to much ( even though I am the President - For some reason they scrutinize me a lot - no puns intended ) I usually keep it clean, crisp, with a splash of "yeah I did that". I love the holidays but I have always been scared of the clean up and storage if I went to big. One year...I think I will do it 

As you can probably get from my first post I am big into Christmas decorating and the season as a whole. We want to try and get property for our next house and my wife and i have talked that once that happens I want to do a large walk through display. I'm the person that HOA's hate, when we built our last house that's one of the things we made sure of was no HOA so no one (besides local laws) could tell us what we could or couldn't do with our house and property.

• Like 2

I always want to do more outside decorating but that would mean doing it very early because I get so busy with the site in November that I never have time for it until Christmas is only a week or two away and at that point it feels like a waste to do it so late. I really should do some stuff in the next week or two before it gets crazy around here with all the sales.

• Like 1

After 2 years of having things stolen, we no longer go all out outside. I decorate my porch and put up lights along the sidewalk. Inside is a whole other story, no surface is safe from being decorated. We put up 11-13 trees [emoji268]

People suck. Wish I could catch them and beat some morals into them.
  • Like 1

After 2 years of having things stolen, we no longer go all out outside. I decorate my porch and put up lights along the sidewalk. Inside is a whole other story, no surface is safe from being decorated. We put up 11-13 trees [emoji268]

Wow....The nerve of someone to steal Christmas decorations. Still my flowers or scarecrow, but if you touch Rudolph.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I lived in a house (the one in my profile pic) I usually had a nice display for Christmas.  My dad and sister decorated the other holidays, but I usually took the lead on Christmas.  My favorite was the year My dad and I lifted a plywood sled up on the porch roof and had Santa up there.  I need to find that picture now.

Since moving to an apartment I haven't decorated as much.  Still have the reindeer and Santa from the sled, but never set them out.  After my dad passed I only decorated for my nephews.  After one of my sisters passed and didn't see the nephews much I pretty much stopped decorating.  I would like to go big one more time though.

• Like 1