PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X

riven3d

so with today's announcement we now know both systems will cost $499.99 for the non-digital only model. Sony will come out on Nov 12 and the next day Microsoft will release the Xbox.

thoughts?

really doubt with the time frame we will see any sort of bundle deals this year with them.

so with today's announcement we now know both systems will cost $499.99 for the non-digital only model. Sony will come out on Nov 12 and the next day Microsoft will release the Xbox.

thoughts?

really doubt with the time frame we will see any sort of bundle deals this year with them.

I refuse to respond to this until you post a link to the announcement.  What are you new here?   :wife:

• Like 1

yeah no bundle deals likely. there may be bundles (gamestop had some last night) but the overall bundle price was basically the same as buying the individual items. just gamestop trying to force people who want the console to buy accessories and games they didn't otherwise want.

guessing the holiday sales will still be pushing current gen bundles for one more year so if you need a ps4 or xbox one it's going to be a great opportunity to get one very cheap.

• Like 1

I've considered getting the new xbox just because it will play some older games.  I don't have an Xbox One and my xbox 360 I feel is starting to be on its last legs (10 year plus run, I can't complain), so its something to consider.  I doubt I'll buy it this year though, I'll wait a year or so.  I'll probably have to sell some stuff off to get it (I planned on selling some stuff anyways, so it gives me a reason to clear some clutter).  The backwards compatibility is really the only reason I'd get one.  Only a couple 360 games I own would work (I play mostly sports games), but I figure with most Xbox One games working (minus the Kinect games), I could buy some used and wouldn't have to buy so many brand new games.

In the meantime, my 360 still works, and I just found 3 NES systems in storage and have been having a blast playing some Mario and other games.  Maybe I might not need a new system on second thought.

• Like 1

I am debating on both of these. We'd be coming from the Nintendo Switch. 

My question is around the digital vs. physical.  If I get the digital version of the PS5 or Xbox, do you have to have internet just to start the games (even if it's not an internet-type game)?  For the Switch, we've learned that games won't even load if there's no internet available to validate the account that's logged into the Switch (long story short - we have 3 Switches and I am the primary account holder, so both boys have to get online just to play local-only games).

I will wait and buy the Ps5 a year or so after the release when more games are available and the kinks are worked out. By then we should be seeing fair priced bundles.

My oldest no longer has a console and my youngest plays on an Xbox One.  Neither is interested in either console at this time.  My youngest is not sure which console he would upgrade to.  Says he is waiting to see what the people he plays with do.  Personally, I think the PS5 is a better console with better games and a more civil community.

My oldest no longer has a console and my youngest plays on an Xbox One.  Neither is interested in either console at this time.  My youngest is not sure which console he would upgrade to.  Says he is waiting to see what the people he plays with do.  Personally, I think the PS5 is a better console with better games and a more civil community.

I have never been big on online gaming. When I play I play the game for me and the joy of just me doing something. It has become so complex now with needing certain upgrades to even play with people. 

• Like 4

I am debating on both of these. We'd be coming from the Nintendo Switch. 

My question is around the digital vs. physical.  If I get the digital version of the PS5 or Xbox, do you have to have internet just to start the games (even if it's not an internet-type game)?  For the Switch, we've learned that games won't even load if there's no internet available to validate the account that's logged into the Switch (long story short - we have 3 Switches and I am the primary account holder, so both boys have to get online just to play local-only games).

from what i am reading, it depends on the game, if its a single player game it should work, but some games require connecting to the server.

also the digital model is just that, its Digital only, this means you must have internet as you have to download the game, install it, etc. im not a fan of digital only models as digital titles hardly ever are on sale, keep that in mind, as the cost of the games for the new systems rang from $50-$80, the prices went up with them, so if your like me, in the long run you don't wan't to be stuck with digital only as that means all these sales on BF are no good to use as they are for physical disc only.

• Like 3

I will wait and buy the Ps5 a year or so after the release when more games are available and the kinks are worked out. By then we should be seeing fair priced bundles.

Just as a reference, PS4 came out in November 2013 for $399. A year later, in the various 2014 Black Friday ads, the console was still $399 but depending where you bought it you'd have gotten either a free $50 gift card or 1-2 games included. So if that holds true this time, you won't save that much waiting a year. But by 2015 (2 years later), the PS4 dropped down to $299 in the BF ads and included a game or two. So it seems like 2 years is the magic point where you really save vs buying it on release.

• Like 1

Just as a reference, PS4 came out in November 2013 for $399. A year later, in the various 2014 Black Friday ads, the console was still $399 but depending where you bought it you'd have gotten either a free $50 gift card or 1-2 games included. So if that holds true this time, you won't save that much waiting a year. But by 2015 (2 years later), the PS4 dropped down to $299 in the BF ads and included a game or two. So it seems like 2 years is the magic point where you really save vs buying it on release.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking as well, but I wonder if the "pandemic effect" ( I need to copyright that phrase) will adjust the pricing. Cash flow has been impacted and the supply and demand structure will be out the window once the final sales totals come in after year end. The GDP is already blown, so hoping the companies will lower cost earlier to rain in buyers, either with a promotion and then bring back prices at a set rate for a while. 

I actually did not, because, drama. My husband wanted to do the All Access, because it has a (slight) discount on Game Pass included. But it doesn't look like that was available with pre-orders. Not that we could figure out anyway.

He was in a work call so I couldn't ask him things, so I finally decided to just *get* it with with my RedCard and get it over with (which he had told me not to do). This was about 15 minutes after, and I got it in my cart, but was unable to check out. So that was sad. But he was okay with that, because until this morning he wasn't planning to get it anyway.

I was able to preorder one through Walmart's site with minimal hassle.  A couple of times it wouldn't let me check out, but I just kept trying and eventually it worked. 

Now to camp out on some sites hoping for more PS5 preorders lol

I don't even have any xbox games, so I'm sure I'll be on the lookout for age-appropriate ones through the shopping season.

I actually did not, because, drama. My husband wanted to do the All Access, because it has a (slight) discount on Game Pass included. But it doesn't look like that was available with pre-orders. Not that we could figure out anyway.

He was in a work call so I couldn't ask him things, so I finally decided to just *get* it with with my RedCard and get it over with (which he had told me not to do). This was about 15 minutes after, and I got it in my cart, but was unable to check out. So that was sad. But he was okay with that, because until this morning he wasn't planning to get it anyway.

So, this may not even work, but I was just at xbox.com and it shows the Series S available to pre-order with the All Access plan. Maybe try that if you still want one? 

So, this may not even work, but I was just at xbox.com and it shows the Series S available to pre-order with the All Access plan. Maybe try that if you still want one?

Thanks! So it does look like some stores were allowing pre-orders with the All Access. A couple places I went to only said the Nov Release date for that plan, so I didn't look much harder. I was so confused with that plan, I didn't understand what I was doing.

When I go Xbox.com and click on Pre-order for the Series X, it takes me to the splash screen I was going to earlier with all the different retailers to go through.

When I click pre-order for the Series S, it's just sold out on their site.

Thanks for checking that for me though! I think I understand better what we should have done today. We'll get it later.

It really is okay though. We don't need it right now. Just this week he's pre-ordered the Quest 2, bought a new ($500) router for it, a ($200) extender for the router, plus today received the pre-order for the new 12" Samsung tablet, 2 cases, the Samsung Live earbud things, and a new $100 mobile controller to use with the tablet.

He's okay, don't feel sorry for him. :) He can wait for the Xbox! (And given the choice he'd choose Quest over the Xbox.)

But, I am going to order me some new Thirty-One bags so I don't feel left out!!

• Like 1

Were you able to get a preorder bluebear? Anyone else?

I was able to get a pre order. Stared at target app, the page for the xbox preorder, for 2 hours. As soon as it changed to 11 on my sons phone, mine was a little slower than his, I pressed preorder add to cary. Couldn't figure out how to check out for a few seconds but seemed forever. Finally hit checkout. It asked for the cvc to verify clicked ok then it asked for the cc again 4 more times..then the website crashed within a minute and a half of turning 11...kept refreshing for 20 minutes and my son told me to stop because he went into order history and the preorder was in there. I didnt get confirmation or anything right away. Checked my email a little while later and lo and vetoed target sent me confirmation. It was waaaay more stressful then black friday!!!