Informal poll about your holiday shopping plans & thoughts

Brad

Holiday Shopping Poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. When do you plan to start your holiday shopping compared to previous years?

• much earlier (or already started)
    • slightly earlier
    • around the same time
    • slightly later
    • much later
  2. 2. How much do you intend to spend on your holiday shopping compared to previous years?

• much less
    • slightly less
    • around the same
    • slightly more
    • much more
  3. 3. What types of products do you think will be the most popular this year?

• electronics
    • toys
    • video games
    • home & kitchen items
    • clothing & accessories
    • food & drink
    • sporting goods
    • tools & hardware
    • movies, music & books
    • gift cards
  4. 4. How do you think your amount of online shopping will compared to previous years?

• much less
    • slightly less
    • about the same
    • slightly more
    • much more
  5. 5. Which store(s) do you think will be best equipped to handle the likely increase in online orders?

• Amazon
    • Walmart
    • Target
    • Kohl's
    • Best Buy
    • Sam's Club
    • Macy's
    • Costco
    • Home Depot
    • Wayfair
    • Lowe's
    • GameStop
    • Dick's Sporting Goods
  6. 6. Do you think any of the major retailers will have a "true" Black Friday sale (likely starting on Friday, only 1 or 2 days long)?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure
  7. 7. As things stand now, do you anticipate yourself shopping in stores on Black Friday this year?

• definitely
    • probably
    • not sure
    • probably not
    • definitely not
  8. 8. Do you think that Thanksgiving store openings will return in either 2021 or 2022?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure
  9. 9. How concerned are you about your online purchases being delivered on time this year?

• very concerned
    • slightly concerned
    • not at all concerned
  10. 10. Is your glass...

• half full
    • half empty
    • twice as big as it needs to be

I am already having delivery delays on things so definitely worried about delays as we get closer to the holidays. I usually start early but this year I would like to be done by the beginning of November so that I am sure to get everything.

Good to know. Makes me think the same about being done early. I’m normally done by Thanksgiving. BF is usually stuff I want. Lol

• Like 1

I am already having delivery delays on things so definitely worried about delays as we get closer to the holidays.  I usually start early but this year I would like to be done by the beginning of November so that I am sure to get everything.     

Yes, with the shippers and delivery companies. This is going to be a tough year on everyone. The delivery drivers may strike due to the increase workload and not enough help 

• Like 2

The majority of my Christmas gifts this year are homemade gifts and I'm nearing the end. The last few items are from the boys' wish lists and the goal is to have everything done and wrapped by Thanksgiving so we can enjoy December (however it's going to look this year)!
  • Like 3

The majority of my Christmas gifts this year are homemade gifts and I'm nearing the end. The last few items are from the boys' wish lists and the goal is to have everything done and wrapped by Thanksgiving so we can enjoy December (however it's going to look this year)!

Homemade has always meant a lot to me. I have a homemade blanket that I love more than anything and I am the only one that can use it, Not even my DW (at least that I know of - LOL)

• Like 3

I kind of feel like doing gift cards or cash this year.  Jeff Bezos has profited so much from this pandemic and treats his workers poorly so I would like to spend my money elsewhere, but it is hard to get away from their selection and speed of delivery.  I would love to support brick and mortar stores more, but I have been avoiding public spaces as much as possible.  I don't really like going into stores in a good year....

I’ve officially started shopping and I hope to be done by early December. I’m definitely concerned about shipping times and finding everything that I’m looking for this year. I will probably be doing mostly online and curbside pickup, as I am still avoiding crowded areas.

It’s too bad because I love the crowded shops at Christmas time

Recently caught up on reading the post here and decided I should start shopping now for items I know I plan to purchase for family members.  ( I was planning on waiting until Black Friday) I have found that shipping delays are a concern and want to be sure the items get here without worry. I ordered something today and the delivery time is at least 2 weeks.  I'm hoping to find good deals now so Ill be checking here a lot !! Budget is a big concern too, so I need to avoid shipping charges.

• Like 1

First time poster here. Used a site that was just shutdown. It’s nice to see activity on here. I’m looking forward to seeing how this year plays out. I like the idea of starting sales earlier. However I know that’s a really easy way to overspend.

Welcome!  You'll love it here.

First time poster here. Used a site that was just shutdown. It’s nice to see activity on here. I’m looking forward to seeing how this year plays out. I like the idea of starting sales earlier. However I know that’s a really easy way to overspend.

Welcome to the family. It is wonderful to be surround by people all year and not just the holidays. They are all so helpful and really lookout for one another. I think you will enjoy this cite tremendously. So strap in tight because it is always a great ride. 

• Like 1

Welcome blueredzone! Happy to see you are not shy. We are a actually a pretty low key friendly group around here.......something not always found elsewhere on the net! Keep on jumping right in.

Well, I actually start shopping on Dec 26th ..... So I was pretty well done shopping before the virus shut downs. Mostly at this time of year I am keeping my eyes open for those "can't turn down" sales (Got myself a new amazon fire a few weeks ago. Cost me nothing. Could not pass up that deal. ) and waiting for secret Santa. .....

HEY BOPEEP! HAVE YOU GIVEN ANY THOUGHT TO THIS? I THINK WE NEED TO START A LITTLE EARLIER THIS YEAR. ......

I am hoping with all these stores backing off on black friday we all can have a less hectic Thanksgiving day. Perhaps a blessing from the virus. Don't get me wrong, I love a good deal like the rest of you, but it has been feeling like things were just getting crazy the last few years. And the best deals were turning up online anyways.

I think, like just about anything else, we need to plan ahead....leave plenty of time for shipping, maybe focus on some gifts being homemade or more practical...especially since money will be tight for many this year. (If you are one of those TP hogs, I sure would be thrilled if, for Christmas, you gifted me one of those multi packs of Kirkland to you have stockpiled.....).

Some folks, in Michigan, started putting up their Christmas lights early this summer. Get together with your neighbors and plan neighborhood lighting. Being able to drive around with family to look at great displays would be an awesome gift we can give each other this year. (SOMETHING TO DO! YAY!)

• Like 3

Well, I actually start shopping on Dec 26th ..... So I was pretty well done shopping before the virus shut downs. Mostly at this time of year I am keeping my eyes open for those "can't turn down" sales (Got myself a new amazon fire a few weeks ago. Cost me nothing. Could not pass up that deal. ) and waiting for secret Santa. .....

HEY BOPEEP! HAVE YOU GIVEN ANY THOUGHT TO THIS? I THINK WE NEED TO START A LITTLE EARLIER THIS YEAR. ......

I'm thinking mid next week, we'll get started :).   **NOTE - if anyone else wants to head it up this year, I'm happy to hand it off.  Don't get me wrong, I love doing it and I'll happily do it this year if no one else wants to. I'm just busier at work this year than normal so I thought I'd throw it out there.

• Like 2

I'm thinking mid next week, we'll get started :).   **NOTE - if anyone else wants to head it up this year, I'm happy to hand it off.  Don't get me wrong, I love doing it and I'll happily do it this year if no one else wants to. I'm just busier at work this year than normal so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Not sure about heading it up, but I am more than willing to help if you would like to delegate some of the task this way. 

• Like 2

Not sure about heading it up, but I am more than willing to help if you would like to delegate some of the task this way. 

Once it's out, it's just keeping track.  Not much to delegate. Honestly, it's not a LOT of time (not like the volunteers that traditionally typed up the ads), I just wouldn't want to miss anything and someone miss out because I wasn't as focused as I should be.  Thanks for the offer of help though! If I do need to push something off, I'll holler at you :).

Let me get the opening post updated and I'll have it ready and out by the end of this week.

Edited by Bopeep
  • Like 3

Once it's out, it's just keeping track.  Not much to delegate. Honestly, it's not a LOT of time (not like the volunteers that traditionally typed up the ads), I just wouldn't want to miss anything and someone miss out because I wasn't as focused as I should be.  Thanks for the offer of help though! If I do need to push something off, I'll holler at you :).

Let me get the opening post updated and I'll have it ready and out by the end of this week.

AYe Aye Captain 

Results of a pretty in-depth poll about holiday shopping this year:

https://morningconsult.com/2020/09/17/holiday-shopping-black-friday-pandemic/

That's a good article. I like the Comfort with offline holiday shopping methods section. The 45% somewhat uncomfortable is high but low as well. More people should be VERY uncomfortable with large crowds shopping in close proximity. Forget about the 6 foot rule, BF there is barley 6 inches between people. 

Results of a pretty in-depth poll about holiday shopping this year:

https://morningconsult.com/2020/09/17/holiday-shopping-black-friday-pandemic/

Did you find a description of polling methods?  I could not.  I'd like to know more about sampling of cohorts -- what percentage of those surveyed shopped in stores last year, for instance, or what percentage of those surveyed were black, high income, gen x, etc.

Did you find a description of polling methods?  I could not.  I'd like to know more about sampling of cohorts -- what percentage of those surveyed shopped in stores last year, for instance, or what percentage of those surveyed were black, high income, gen x, etc.

Len,

Pulling out the marketing strategies....I always wonder this when looking at surveys or polls. Depending on who you survey the results will always be skewed to the left or right. Hardly in the middle. It is like asking on customers at a Mercedes dealership there views on BMW and publish it as the majority of opinions in the nations. 

Pulling out the marketing strategies....I always wonder this when looking at surveys or polls. Depending on who you survey the results will always be skewed to the left or right. Hardly in the middle. It is like asking on customers at a Mercedes dealership there views on BMW and publish it as the majority of opinions in the nations. 

You are correct, of course.  Push polling is very common and there are countless techniques to achieve some desired result based on a survey.

FWIW...

Hi Len, 

Thanks for reaching out - our U.S. adult sample is nationally representative, that is weighted to reflect gen pop proportions of incomes, ethnicities, genders, generations, etc. 

Hope that helps!
Victoria 

Victoria Sakal | Managing Director – Brand Intelligence
646.923.3529 | [email protected]

MORNING CONSULT | Intelligent Data, Intelligent Decisions

IOW, our data is good.  Take my word for it!  I totally discount the survey.

You are correct, of course.  Push polling is very common and there are countless techniques to achieve some desired result based on a survey.

FWIW...

IOW, our data is good.  Take my word for it!  I totally discount the survey.

With that response you know it is completely skewed. It is like she is rubbing it in - if you know marketing that is. 

Hi Blueredzone. That was the only other site I frequented. Welcome, it is friendly here.