Walmart’s Prime competitor Walmart+ will launch this month for $98/year

Brad

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/7/7/21314767/walmart-plus-grocery-delivery-amazon-prime-membership-loyalty-program-walmart

Walmart plans to launch a new subscription service later this month called Walmart+ that will cost $98 a year. It will include perks like same-day delivery of groceries and general merchandise, discounts on fuel at Walmart gas stations, and early access to product deals.

Walmart originally planned to unveil Walmart+ in late March or April, Recode reported in February, but the retailer pushed back the launch date after the Covid-19 pandemic began sweeping across the US in March.

Counterintuitive.  People not wanting to go out so a retailer delays launch of online option?  People blame COVID19 for everything.

Prime offers...

• Prime Video
  • Amazon Channels
  • Prime Music
  • Amazon Music Unlimited
  • Twitch Prime
  • Monthly payment option
  • 45 percent Prime fee discount for those on government assistance
  • Student discounts

Walmart counters with discounted gas   :2goodnite

I'm not a big fan of loyalty clubs -- especially the kind that charge admission.  While I like the idea of delivery, the logistics are tough and you are relying on others to select fresh stuff.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

It would very much interest me to have free grocery delivery as Amazon does not offer that in my area! Thank goodness we can do pickups at Walmart - but trying to get a time slot is not always easy.

Our Walmart has gotten much better with their pick up times. Although, I have to admit Sam's club has really come through with their curbside pick up. I also love their "scan and go" feature in the app.