Black Friday 2020 Countdown & Anticipation Thread

Brad

Only 329 days to go :)

As you can see the 2019 BF threads have been archived and as we've done in recent years there is this year-round BF forum to discuss any store closings and other news that could affect BF 2020.

Will be interesting to see how the election affects when ads are leaked this year. In 2016 it seemed to delay the release of the major ads compared to previous years.

Because 2020 is a leap year, Black Friday moves 2 days earlier to November 27th.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

240 days to go...

Thinking that Black Friday could look very different this year. Unless by November the virus is not spreading that much anymore (and we don't get a second wave after restrictions are lifted this summer), I can't see retailers encouraging people to gather for massive Black Friday sales.

Rumors are Home Depot won't be advertising their Spring Black Friday this year (although the deals might still be there, just unadvertised). Target seems to have temporarily paused their printed weekly ads and just have a smaller online version on their site. There could be many stores that don't do printed ads this year and just have online sales similar to their Cyber Monday sales where we won't know what's going to be on sale ahead of time. It's all up in the air.

Black Friday may end up being a smaller online-only event. If I were the head of a retailer, I'd be planning on Q4 being online-focused and getting extra warehouse space, planning on hiring in that area and preparing for a much higher percentage of Q4 sales to come from online compared to previous years. Even if things improve and they can have traditional BF sales, there will still be a big chunk of people that will want to avoid crowds this year and do more shopping online.

Many of us primarily do BF shopping online because it's easier but now it may be the only realistic option this year. Hopefully I'm wrong and things are back to normal by then but at least when it comes to this site I'm preparing for both scenarios.

What does everyone think? How normal will BF be this year?

240 days to go...

Thinking that Black Friday could look very different this year. Unless by November the virus is not spreading that much anymore (and we don't get a second wave after restrictions are lifted this summer), I can't see retailers encouraging people to gather for massive Black Friday sales.

Rumors are Home Depot won't be advertising their Spring Black Friday this year (although the deals might still be there, just unadvertised). Target seems to have temporarily paused their printed weekly ads and just have a smaller online version on their site. There could be many stores that don't do printed ads this year and just have online sales similar to their Cyber Monday sales where we won't know what's going to be on sale ahead of time. It's all up in the air.

Black Friday may end up being a smaller online-only event. If I were the head of a retailer, I'd be planning on Q4 being online-focused and getting extra warehouse space, planning on hiring in that area and preparing for a much higher percentage of Q4 sales to come from online compared to previous years. Even if things improve and they can have traditional BF sales, there will still be a big chunk of people that will want to avoid crowds this year and do more shopping online.

Many of us primarily do BF shopping online because it's easier but now it may be the only realistic option this year. Hopefully I'm wrong and things are back to normal by then but at least when it comes to this site I'm preparing for both scenarios.

What does everyone think? How normal will BF be this year?

I had been looking for the HD and Lowes spring sale to get my yard in order this spring. I guess I know why I have not seen it yet. I am of the same thought as Brad. I do not see Black Friday being a big to do this year. The forecast for every business has been destroyed, but that could mean steep discounts on everything so that some companies can stay aflot next year after everything returns to "normal". I think that the products made in America may be a big hit as the stigma of the virus reentering our country will be here for a while. So all in all I am planing for majority online which means the delivery companies will be overloaded this year again. 

• Like 1

Black Friday will absolutely be very different this year. Even if the current crisis is completely over (which I doubt as there are risks for future waves happening), I think the fear will still be too fresh in many people’s minds. You will definitely not see the crowds like before.

I suspect that any retailer that does still push for the normal in store BF crowd experience (you know there will be at least 1 that try’s in desperation for sales as the retailer sector is taking a big hit right now) will get lots of bad press.

I suspect that a majority of people won’t risk going out and online numbers will surge. It will be interesting to see how this will impact BF going forward. People may find they like the ease of online shopping more and that could cause even fewer shoppers bothering to go out in the crowds next year.

Stores should be preparing now for huge online sales and the toll it will take on their servers etc. Having a website crash this year will hurt the store more than in past years. No store can risk the loss of sales or the bad press that comes with website issues this year.

• Like 1

I agree this year will most likely look very different. But...

The main issue for me in terms of online shopping is that I have no secure way to receive packages at my apartment. My complex consists of buildings with 6 apartments each, all with inside entrances. Outside entry door to each building is locked. Delivery drivers literally leave packages on the front (exterior) porch of the building. It’s a porch pirate’s dream if someone’s not home to receive the package. Oof.

Bottom line... If I can’t order online & subsequently pickup in store (and/or just go buy in the store directly), I’m not buying whatever it is, no matter how good the deal.

• Like 1

I agree this year will most likely look very different. But...

The main issue for me in terms of online shopping is that I have no secure way to receive packages at my apartment. My complex consists of buildings with 6 apartments each, all with inside entrances. Outside entry door to each building is locked. Delivery drivers literally leave packages on the front (exterior) porch of the building. It’s a porch pirate’s dream if someone’s not home to receive the package. Oof.

Bottom line... If I can’t order online & subsequently pickup in store (and/or just go buy in the store directly), I’m not buying whatever it is, no matter how good the deal.

Wonder if you could do those automated delivery lockers? You drive up enter a code or scan something and then it opens and you get your package.
  • Like 2

Black Friday 2020 WILL be the same.  It will be the same as the many we have all enjoyed together in the sense that...

1. Some people will complain that it isn't the same :blahblah:
  2. Online sales will continue to eat away at B&M sales  :2dollar:
  3. The best deals will be gotten by some seriously deranged individuals (I have been in these ranks from time to time)  :jester:
  4. Some of the best deals will be had before BF  :deal:
  5. Some of the best deals will be had after BF :holiday07
  6. A lot of people will discuss merchandise, stores, and deals on these forums :victory:  :sombrero::thumbsup::dazzler:  :confused::g_dance:  :giggle:  :idea:  :gdnum1:  :gdlisten:  :gdchatter:  :gdinlove::gdhippie2:  :gdflower5:
  7. Some people (guilty) will discuss totally off topic stuff  :gdflasher:
  8. The giveaway will not be reusable bags :3paperbag  
  9. I will get a new t-shirt  :howdy:

I am already compiling my list.  Some stuff will be bought before BF.  Other stuff after.  I will probably go out on BF, but maybe not until after the crowds have abated :sib: .  Unless something makes me crazy or the weather is nice.  I still enjoy waiting in line on BF.  Got some good deals last year.  Looking forward to some more this year.

Last year, I went out to do some shopping midmorning.  While I was shooting the breeze with the staff at Staples, I heard a familiar voice.  It was this guy who I used to wait in line with when Staples had all the free-after-rebate stuff.  He was 'just out' as well.  We shopped at Staples and Home Depot.  His phone rang.  It was his wife.  "Guess who I'm with?"  "How did you guess?!?"  Some things never change.  See you in November!

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 3

Rumors are Home Depot won't be advertising their Spring Black Friday this year (although the deals might still be there, just unadvertised).

So in case no one has been checking Home Depot daily like I have...

It appears that my store received their big shipment of mulch this week. Wednesday they had I think about 97 bags. Last night it was at 8700+. There is still no circular listed like Brad said, but I'm hoping tomorrow maybe it will go on sale 5/$10.

So in case no one has been checking Home Depot daily like I have...

It appears that my store received their big shipment of mulch this week. Wednesday they had I think about 97 bags. Last night it was at 8700+. There is still no circular listed like Brad said, but I'm hoping tomorrow maybe it will go on sale 5/$10.

I think I read that they were not doing the big Spring sale circular this year to keep the crowds at bay....no way to social distance correctly.  I could be wrong about it being Home Depot, it may be Lowes instead. I will miss that sale terribly because I always buy my mulch and some flowers and whatever else looks like fun or something I need.  They may still put those things on sale but I don't think it will be advertised like in years past. 

I think I read that they were not doing the big Spring sale circular this year to keep the crowds at bay....no way to social distance correctly.

I could be wrong about it being Home Depot, it may be Lowes instead.

I will miss that sale terribly because I always buy my mulch and some flowers and whatever else looks like fun or something I need. They may still put those things on sale but I don't think it will be advertised like in years past.

That's what I'm thinking. Since they got a shipment of almost 9,000 bags, seems they'd need a price discount to move them. But may not be advertised.

At my Home Depot, you just drive through and they load it in your car anyway, so that can be done "contactless". Hope they do!

Black Friday 2020 WILL be the same. It will be the same as the many we have all enjoyed together in the sense that...

• Some people will complain that it isn't the same :blahblah:
  • Online sales will continue to eat away at B&M sales :2dollar:
  • The best deals will be gotten by some seriously deranged individuals (I have been in these ranks from time to time) :jester:
  • Some of the best deals will be had before BF :deal:
  • Some of the best deals will be had after BF :holiday07
  • A lot of people will discuss merchandise, stores, and deals on these forums :victory::sombrero::thumbsup::dazzler::confused::g_dance::giggle::idea::gdnum1::gdlisten::gdchatter::gdinlove::gdhippie2::gdflower5:
  • Some people (guilty) will discuss totally off topic stuff :gdflasher:
  • The giveaway will not be reusable bags :3paperbag
  • I will get a new t-shirt :howdy:
I am already compiling my list. Some stuff will be bought before BF. Other stuff after. I will probably go out on BF, but maybe not until after the crowds have abated :sib: . Unless something makes me crazy or the weather is nice. I still enjoy waiting in line on BF. Got some good deals last year. Looking forward to some more this year.

Last year, I went out to do some shopping midmorning. While I was shooting the breeze with the staff at Staples, I heard a familiar voice. It was this guy who I used to wait in line with when Staples had all the free-after-rebate stuff. He was 'just out' as well. We shopped at Staples and Home Depot. His phone rang. It was his wife. "Guess who I'm with?" "How did you guess?!?" Some things never change. See you in November!

You forgot someone will complain how bad the deals suck. :)

• 1 month later...
I love Black Friday ! Change is ok. We complain about the change but what I’m hoping to happen with the whole 2020 mess is that we don’t open on Thanksgiving. Going to online has been ok since I really don’t have anyone to go out with anymore. My new normal is my alarm going off at all sorts of times for the sale beginnings. It’s all new but it’s all good!!
  • Like 3

I am really not sure how much shopping I will be doing on BF. DVDs for sure. I am at the point that if I can find a really great deal before hand then I will get it then. Plus we are not buyig as many gifts this year, still spending the same or nore but the kids are older and the stuff they want is more expensive. There are a few local stores, mom & pop shops that we will shop at for gifts too. 

• Like 1