What did you buy? How were the crowds? Share your experiences!

Brad

I did all online this year. Kohl’s, Best Buy and Target. I took advantage of the alertly sales at BB and got a 75 in tv for basement. Glad I did because they changed it to online on Thanksgiving. Also scored 2 58 in for bedrooms as this was year to update. Keeping the 50 in in my office. BB changed 58 in to online right after I pushed my order through on Thanksgiving! Glad I got all 3 I wanted.

Kohl’s I found the watch my Dad wanted and the ninja foodie for myself. Still shopping but got the big ticket items out of the way.[emoji847]

I did most online shopping the week before Thanksgiving and didn't go out Thursday night.  I did go on Friday morning to Lowes and got tool box and some small tools for my son in law that he wanted, a indoor thermometer for hubby, and batteries!!!

Then went to Belk and got a sweater for my Dad and a small lego set.

Then on to Walmart which was deserted!!    

Here's what I got:

4 outfits for Grandson plus undies and socks

PW gadget set thingy

Rubbermaid storage x2

Women's leggings

Lego set which I had to take back cause I got the wrong one

Large Nerf Gun

Better Homes & Garden Mixing Bowl set

Got everything i needed so I'm done except for Gift Cards and money.

Didn't really need much for myself this year...

Rite Aid TG morn for detergent and wrapping paper...

Got to WalMart about 4:15 and was able to pick up everything I wanted:Paw Patrol table and chair set, slippers and a book for the 2 y/o... A scooter, a bunch of DVDs and a book for the 7 y/o and the Google smart kit for $35 a gift for my daughter...oh and new Rubbermaid containers...I hopped in a line and waited for it to open for about an hour or so and was 4th in my line so check out went by quick..

Swing by Old Navy around 6:20 and picked up the $1 cozy socks.

Hit The Christmas Tree Shop about 7ish and picked up a cute $7 miniature tree w/ornaments and a box of 50 lights for $2.50 for the 7 y/o to decorate for his room and 3 boxes of 60 ct coffee for $12.99 each...that was it for Thanksgiving day...

Friday morn I overslept thinking Lowe's opened at 7 and they opened @ 6 [emoji849] so I missed the possible chance of getting a $500 gift card...but picked up my poinsettias and batteries...

All in all the crowds weren't that bad for me I feel I was in and out of each store pretty quick this year...

Edited by tracy0504

My mom and I started out at JCPenney.  It didn’t seem like the line was all that bad, no worse than other years, but they ran out of the coupons long before we got in the door.  Usully we can be in the store shopping for awhile and they are still handing them out, so I’m assuming they passed out less than previous years.  Lots of people were coming back out the doors grumbling about it.  Bought a few things there and then headed next door to Walmart where we were REALLY early for the sale to start.

I had tried to order an Apple watch online where I had it in my cart and went to check out and it just disappeared.  Finally gave up on that and decided to try for it in the store, so getting there early was ok.  We got there about 3 and the lines were already forming.  I was about 5th or 6th in line.  The woman who was first in line was wanting to buy a lot of the watches (not sure just how many, but it sounded like she wanted quite a few, and I’m not sure how many they had).  She kept having management after management person back there talking to her telling her she could only buy 1, to look at the rest of the people in the line there to buy one too.  People in line were grumbling about it, but management won out and only sold her one.  They finally came back there and passed out tickets for the model we wanted so the people that weren’t going to get one because they were too far back in line would know it.  They let us leave the line with our tickets and told us we could check out at layaway at 6pm.  I figured they let us leave the line because of the woman, so she wasn’t harassing management anymore!  After that I managed to snag every 4K movie on my list, all of my tv series and a few more impulse buys, after being told repeatedly that we couldn’t take the movies until 6.  Then all of a sudden they decided we could get them at about 5:15 or so.  I was disappointed that the final season of The Big Bang Theory wasn’t on sale anywhere, or if it was I missed it.  I also picked up a new lightning cable, some socks, and a bath mat.  Got in line about 5:30 to check out and was totally out of Walmart by about 6:30, including paying for my watch at layaway.   Walmart got a nice chunk of my BF money this year.  

We then went to Target and bought some books that were in their sale.  My mom bought a couple of movies there.  Seems like we bought something else there, but it’s slipping my mind.

We also hit Best Buy for another couple of series and a Wemo product that was on sale.  Also bought a Ninja Foodie that I haven’t tested yet.  

Went to Lowe’s on Friday morning, didn’t win the $500.  Bought batteries.  Went to Home Depot for 3 Ryobi tools.  They had 1 of them. Hit the mall for Justice, American Eagle and Bath & Body Works.  Got in and out of that madhouse!!!  Not sure sales were worth that craziness!!  I can’t believe I just said that, but you couldn’t even hear what someone standing next to you was saying!!!  That was our Black Friday sales adventure this year.  I scored almost everything on my list other than the tools, which actually weren’t on sale, just was going to pick them up while we were there.  

Oh yeah, picked up a bug while we were shopping and got sick for several days after....

• Like 1

Thanksgiving night went to the local walmart. Was able to find a lot on my list but not everything, store not overly crowded but it was also just after 8 pm too. I usually buy a lot of DVDs but not this year, I don't think I bought half of what I normally would. Spent the least amount ever in Walmart for a BF sale.  Went to Target, walked around for 20 minutes, left without buying anything. Again not overly crowded as in the past. Stopped in 5 Below, in and out in 5 minutes and got what I needed. Last stop for the night was AC Moore.

Went back to Target Friday morning with my daughter as she wanted to gets some stuff. Bought 3 books at Target and that was it.

I spent the least amount ever on BF this year, this includes on line shopping which I didn't do much of that either. I found too many great deals over the summer and in the fall leading up to BF that I was able to get a lot of shopping done early.

I don’t know if being an Elite member at Best Buy is worth it anymore. I didn’t realize they started their ‘Early Access’ sale on Saturday vice Monday which has been that way for years. Didn’t really miss much though as the ‘EA’ was limited to select items (and none I was really in the market to buy.

Did most of my shopping online this year. Walmart was terrible. Advertised 4K movies for $7.96 and I think only one or two ever reflected that online. Bought a few movies but grabbed them in case I couldn’t find them lower.

Went out to Walmart Thanksgiving night (usually don’t but it was 8:30 and wanted to see what was going on) Bought two 4K movies and that was it (one was to cancel an online order that was $3 more: see above). They barely had any of the 4K movies advertised and again, not all prices were correct as advertised.

My big score:

LEGO Millennium Falcon Ultimate Collection Series for $480. Snagged Amazon’s insane sale of 40% off. Used $125 in gift cards and Bing Rewards and paid $385 with tax. I didn’t get this on the first try, I was ready when it went live and it sold out instantly. I went straight to the ‘waitlist’. About 1 1/2 hours later my screen changed to ‘Add to cart’. Took about 10 seconds to checkout, lol.

4K movies

John Wick 3

X-men: Dark Phoenix

Rambo (2009)

Hobbs & Shaw

Cold Pursuit

Hunter Killer

The Expendables collection

Alita

Godzilla

Glass

Star Trek 1 and 2 (Chris Pine versions)

Mortal Engines

Other things:

Motherboards, processors, RAM, graphic card for new PC builds for my son and I.

Air fryer

Kindle Oasis (fully loaded WiFi/3G)previous model close out)) original $349 for $149. Upgrade and save ended up paying $74.

More LEGO (adult collector btw) Gingerbread House, Saturn V rocket, Disney Train and Station and some smaller sets.

Other things, but my post is insanely long, so I’ll stop. Good deals overall. That’s why I always look on GottaDEAL. I didn’t post much this year, but I was here ‘lurking’ as I do all year.

I don’t know if being an Elite member at Best Buy is worth it anymore. I didn’t realize they started their ‘Early Access’ sale on Saturday vice Monday which has been that way for years. Didn’t really miss much though as the ‘EA’ was limited to select items (and none I was really in the market to buy.

Rewards programs are situational.  It's good that you are aware that Elite is not working for you.  Time to move on.  2020 will be my last year as a Staples Rewards member.  My situation has evolved.  No longer worth the effort for me.

My big score:

LEGO Millennium Falcon Ultimate Collection Series for $480. Snagged Amazon’s insane sale of 40% off. Used $125 in gift cards and Bing Rewards and paid $385 with tax. I didn’t get this on the first try, I was ready when it went live and it sold out instantly. I went straight to the ‘waitlist’. About 1 1/2 hours later my screen changed to ‘Add to cart’. Took about 10 seconds to checkout, lol.

I need a link to this.  Probably an explanation too.

Other things:

Motherboards, processors, RAM, graphic card for new PC builds for my son and I.

I would be curious as to what you bought, built, and spent (including OS).  I planned an upgrade then ended up tweaking an OTS system.  I still have one machine to upgrade and am curious what you did.

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This post is long overdue, but better late than never:

BF week started on Monday morning when I placed an online Kohl’s order for 5 bath towels, 2 bras, a sheet set and some kitchen towels to bring the order to $102 and earned $30 in Kohl’s cash.

On Friday morning I met my dad at Kohl’s at 6 am and we got him 2 flannel shirts for $4.40 each after sales and coupons. From there we went to At Home and picked up a set of the spiral trees that were on sale for $19.99. We popped into Ollie’s for the 2 boxes of the 80 count kcups for $15.99 for a charity I donate to. In the same plaza we hit Joanns for tee shirts that were on sale for my dad and PetSmart for their 50% off dog treats so my mom would have something to put under the tree for my dog on Christmas morning (I adore that she acts like he’s her grand baby). Then it was over to the mall for Marshall’s (dad picked up a frying pan set), JCPenney (dad picked up a comforter that he had ordered online earlier in the week) and then we met up with my mom and husband for our breakfast tradition at 10am.

Saturday I went back out to Joanns for their Saturday only door buster of 60% off all sewing notions (and then went back to Ollies for 2 board games I saw but didn’t want my dad to know I purchased (they are gifts for next year). I also went to some small local businesses to pick up a few items for friends and to support the local community.

Crowds were very minimal until around 9am on BF, I suspect a lot of people who were out on Thursday came back out then after a nap and getting their second wind. Overall I spent a lot less than in past years on BF and the holidays season in general. I didn’t even come close to meeting my goal to get all my shopping done on BF but there is always next year.

Edited by budgetsRsexy
  • Like 1