Thanksgiving Weekend Menu

Gator Pam

We start festive activities Wednesday afternoon, as we start gathering together. I wouldn't say we eat heavily prior to Thanksgiving dinner, but we do snack quite a bit on Wednesday.

Thursday starts off eating light as well. Drinking coffee and maybe a bowl of cereal as we watch the Macy's parade. We're flexible with dinner time, as well. We've eaten as early as 2:00 pm and as later as 7:00.

Friday is using planned overs for breakfast and lunch, but Friday night is Shabbos dinner. Usually I'll do a roast chicken for Shabbos, but Thanksgiving weekend Shabbos dinner tends to be lighter. Shabbos day is easy, as we continue to pick at planned overs. I generally make some sort of casserole for Saturday night.

Sunday morning is when we'll do brunch. Sometimes we do Jewish appetizing; others I do one of my many french toast casseroles.

So, that's the schedule for us. I have the weekend to finalize the menu and prepare to shop. Fortunately, we are a small group of 4. But we eat well over this weekend.

What are your plans?

Edited by Gator Pam
  • Like 1

Sounds like, because of dad's and my work schedules this year, there will only be Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant around noon on Thursday for us, so zero leftovers. Such is life. I'll be working at some point on Friday, so probably just sandwich and veggie (sliced up cucumber/celery/carrots or something) in my "lunch cooler" for lunch/dinner. Might try to pick up a small turkey breast for myself to make over the weekend, but no big plans this time around. 

Most of our leftovers will likely be sent home with my sister and her family. That or eventually thrown away from our fridge. I'm not a huge fan of thanksgiving food to be honest. When I was younger I got sick and the time it took them to figure out what was wrong all I could eat was turkey. So needless to say it's not high on my list of stuff I want. I think the only thing that won't go to waste is we got a honey glazed spiral sliced ham from Dearborn Meat.

Dearborn hams are killer. I love to be able to splurge on one every so often. Sooooooo good. 

Yes they are very good, was $35 right from them so not bad. In years past Meijers would have a sale and I would get it there a little cheaper. Didn't see that this year though.

• Like 1

Big Thanksgiving dinner at my house for us, mom and all of the kids and grand kids on Thursday.

Friday - our traditional & FAVORITE turkey sandwiches, left over stuffing and cranberry sauce.

Saturday will be snick-snack tailgating foods for the big Alabama - Auburn game. (WAR EAGLE!!!)

Sunday - hubby will make turkey pot pie out of some of the turkey left overs - YUM!

• Like 1

We have decided to go non keto for the main meal, but we're keeping the variety to a minimum for a festive meal.

Good Eats Roast Turkey after a three day dry brine

Homemade Gravy

Homemade Cranberry Orange Sauce

Crockpot Stuffing

Sweet Potato Casserole

Green Bean Casserole

Fireball Pumpkin Pie

Usually I do the marshmallow topped sweet potato casserole, but my tastes have changed slightly since beginning keto and chemo. I'll stick with mixing in the crushed pineapple, but I think I'll do a crumble topping instead this year. Any suggestions for a good one, perhaps more nut based than flour based, would be appreciated.

Edited by Gator Pam

Big Thanksgiving dinner at my house for us, mom and all of the kids and grand kids on Thursday.

Friday - our traditional & FAVORITE turkey sandwiches, left over stuffing and cranberry sauce.

Saturday will be snick-snack tailgating foods for the big Alabama - Auburn game. (WAR EAGLE!!!)

Sunday - hubby will make turkey pot pie out of some of the turkey left overs - YUM!

Yes! WAR EAGLE!!! (Knew I liked you! lol)

We have decided to go non keto for the main meal, but we're keeping the variety to a minimum for a festive meal.

Good Eats Roast Turkey after a three day dry brine

Homemade Gravy

Homemade Cranberry Orange Sauce

Crockpot Stuffing

Sweet Potato Casserole

Green Bean Casserole

Fireball Pumpkin Pie

Usually I do the marshmallow topped sweet potato casserole, but my tastes have changed slightly since beginning keto and chemo. I'll stick with mixing in the crushed pineapple, but I think I'll do a crumble topping instead this year. Any suggestions for a good one, perhaps more nut based than flour based, would be appreciated.

Try the crumble topping from this recipe (adjust brown sugar to taste): 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15633/gourmet-sweet-potato-classic/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=Search&clickId=cardslot%203