GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

September.... Fall is near (my favorite season) !!!!! The boys started remote learning this week and so far, so good. Fingers crossed we can keep it up!

We planted pumpkins this year for the first time and one of the vines grew up the fence and into my tree. Now I have pumpkins hanging in my tree!! attachicon.gif20200825_081339.jpeg

How COOL! :gdwow: I WANT a pumpkin tree! :)

• Like 1

Happy start of the -ber months. It’s my favorite time of year. Christmas shopping will certainly be interesting and challenging this year. I went into Kohl’s a couple of weeks ago and I was shocked at how empty of merchandise the store was. I don’t know if it’s like that everywhere since I’ve kept my shopping to Walmart, Target and Kroger for essentials. It may be the year of the gift cards for me on the gift giving front.

And, to the Kohl’s mention, I bought my first “Kohl’s throw” of the season last week. LOL. I got the baby Yoda one now instead of taking the chance that it will be around during their expected Black Friday sale for cheap. A new Kohl’s throw means we truly in the race towards Black Friday, however it will look this year. :) :)

I was just on Kohl’s looking at the throw blankets! Lol I’m addicted to them.
  • Like 3

http://quotesideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/31643-Hello-September1.jpg

September 1st.  Traditionally, this is the first day of my Christmas season.    

679cef8a22c92cecd5404ad7b90bb4db.png

Making my list, checking it twice, and all that.  This is when I start paying attention to the Black Friday forums.  The list is shorter this year.  I no longer have any idea what my kids want.  

1980s.jpg

I'm going to dial the way back machine to 1980.  Ten years before the World Wide Web.  Fourteen years before Amazon.

http://www.npointercos.jp/images/Moscow2009ssIMG_5428.jpg

This year, I'm going to venture into malls and look for really awesome things I may never have considered. 

oar_house-820x445.jpg

I'm going to eat out... 

580b49fb-5973-43c6-b2f5-4d5f9020a469.jpg

and snack on the run.

blogheader-allaboardthesantaexpress.jpg

Anyone care to join me?  

I might have to take you up on this.You find the best deals and coupons. Well heck maybe I will send you my list and let you just pay for it too. LOL

• Like 3

Well heck maybe I will send you my list and let you just pay for it too. LOL

Like you were one of my kids, I guess?  

Here's a deal for you...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/amazon-echo-show-2nd-gen-smart-speaker-with-alexa-and-built-in-smart-home-hub-charcoal/6292547.p?skuId=6292547

Add the 10" Echo Show to your cart for $179.99 and a 5" Show and a smart LED bulb are added for free.  This is the very best Echo Show.  Bigger screen, better speakers, great mic array, and a built in Zigbee smart home hub. 

I have had a Show 10 on my kitchen counter for most of a year.  While I'm planning and cooking meals, I direct Alexa to add ingredients to my shopping list.  I ask her for recipes for whatever I am in the mood for or whatever leftover I want to make great again.  I might ask her how much a bell pepper weighs (because I dice and freeze mine when they are on sale and recipes often call for one medium bell pepper, etc.).  And I set timers -- "Alexa set a fourteen minute timer for ribeye", "Alexa set an eight minute timer for lobster."  When I make jerky, I set eight jerky timers to remind me to change the temperature or rotate the trays.  You can name the timers.  Names come in handy if you are cooking Thanksgiving dinner at the same time you are making jerky, "Your turkey timer is done."  I can check or cancel a timer or alarm from any Echo device.

This time of year, I like to cook outside.  The Echo Show's AC networking allows me to take radio, television, and the world wide web with me.  I have one on my desk at work.  I enjoy the slide show of my family and listen to the radio.

I have a lot of smart devices in my home -- especially lights and especially in the kitchen.  I don't leave lights on at night.  I simply direct Alexa to "Turn on sink" or "Turn on Kitchen" (Kitchen is all the lights I use in the kitchen).  This comes in handy when you are up to your elbows in dishes and the sun decides to set.  It comes in handy when you need a midnight snack too.

Most of the time, Alexa is entertaining me.  I have a collection of photos playing as my background.  The Echo Show 10 is an excellent digital frame.  I listen to radio stations -- music, talk radio.  Alexa keeps track of my favorites.  When I select a radio station or album on one Show, the rest of my Echos add it to their 'recent' lists.  Very handy.  I have a Recast, so I can stream Free TV to my Shows.  I can also watch Pluto in a browser.  Or Prime.

I have an electric fireplace insert that looks really great, but it doesn't make any sound.  I have a first gen Show tucked behind the insert.  When I run the fireplace, I direct Alexa to play fireplace sounds and to turn off the display.  Everyone is fooled except the electric company.

I have a Show 10 in my bedroom.  I bought the Show 8 to replace this so I can slide a cover over the camera when I want privacy, but college boy has already let me know his privacy is more important than mine and he will be taking the 8 back to school.  The Show 5 and Show 8 have mechanical shutters for the camera. 

Sometimes I work from home.  The Show is great for voice calls.  Mute button right on top.  It's great background noise (TV/Radio) when I am 'mostly' working.  I set an alarm to get me up 'weekdays'.  

I left a first gen Show at my mother's house.  I have it configured so I can 'drop in' if she does not answer the call.  I have an Echo Connect installed, so every device offers to pick up when my phone rings.

A pair of Echo Shows would make a great, secure baby monitor that can be monitored from your smart phone.

I put a first gen Show in my dog's pen.  Initially I put it in there so I could drop in on him when the automatic feeder rotates to make sure it was working as expected and to see how he was reacting to it.  (After a short time, he stood over the feeder and barked when it was time to eat.  He was alone all day and I could drop in on him.  Not sure what he thought of it, but he would get out of bed and bark back at me, so...

Because you can interact with the ecosystem using a phone app, shopping list, calendar, and contacts are in your pocket and you can drop in on any Show from anywhere as long as I have Alexa installed on your smart phone.

With Prime Days just around the corner (I guess), I brought one of each model of the Show into work.  It was like a carnival.  One guy googled things to ask Alexa.  (If you have one, say, "Alexa, I am your father."  We discovered trivia games, math quizzes, and a thousand different ways to interact with Alexa. If your kid asks Alexa how to spell words, he will LEARN how to spell words.  Same for math facts.  Imagine a generation of kids who can actually make change?  

Amazon offers exclusive deals via the Echo devices.  I protect the buying function with a PIN since Alexa makes it VERY easy to buy stuff from Amazon.

Communication is an improvement opportunity.  Sure, you can call people or drop in on other Echos, but we are talking about 1x1 communication.  Everyone else is doing 1xM or MxM.  Amazon ought to work on a 'party line' feature that would let the family get together.  Rumor has it you can Skype with the Shows, but I have not been able to (minimal effort on my part) I have not seen evidence anyone has gotten group calls working on the Shows.  (If anyone knows better, please reply to this note.)

The browsers are not great.  After a period of inactivity (because you are reading a recipe, for instance), the Show reverts to the home screen.

Best accessories for the Echo Show are 1) smart phone, 2) Recast, and 3) Connect.  Your smart phone is just a portable, cellular, battery powered, very tiny Echo Show.  The Recast lets you watch free TV on your Shows.  The Connect turns every Echo device into a landline.

So, hop on over to BestBuy.com and buy yourself an early Christmas present.  Put the 10" Show in your kitchen and the Echo 5 in the kids' room or your bedroom or the Man Cave and install the light over your sink.  Think of me when you do dishes. 
  • Like 3

79f right now with sunny skies.  Tonight it will drop to 61f.  Tough to beat.  Primary day (except presidential) in my town today.  All the 'public servants' who have been hiding in their basements since March were on hand.  Apparently, ballots counting and trash pickup are the only essential services in Danville New Hampshire.  (Actually, they do not get paid for elections if they do not show up.)

The woman in front of me had a little girl with her.  I always took my kids to vote with me -- just as my father always took me.  We used to vote at the school.  It was set up the day before and we held a mock election.  Great civics lesson.  My first real vote, I knew exactly how things worked.  The keeper of the checklist knew me by name and asked about my siblings.  She was the town historian and my second grade teacher.

Things are different today.  With the World Wide Web, we know a LOT about the people on the ballot.  End up not liking most of them ;-)

Nine trays of banana slices in the dehydrator.  No salt, no sugar, no preservatives.  D@mn near free (if you ignore my time).  I have six pounds of beef jerky queued up -- Honey Jalapeno, Ghost Pepper, and Habanero Orange Beef.  The Ghost Pepper is based on a comment in a jerky forum...

1 lb Round Eye cut 1/8th cross grain
1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
1/3 Cup Worcestershire
1 tbs Onion Powder’
1 tbs Garlic Powder
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tbs Honey
2 Whole Ghost Peppers

After that, Sweet Heat Sriracha Jerky -- except with chicken breast.

I just polished off a gallon of soy sauce -- never thought that would happen.

In the meantime, banana bread and breakfast casserole are in the oven.  

Time for a walk.  I cannot wait to be retired!  (845 days)
  • Like 3

Nine trays of banana slices in the dehydrator.  No salt, no sugar, no preservatives.  D@mn near free (if you ignore my time).  I have six pounds of beef jerky queued up -- Honey Jalapeno, Ghost Pepper, and Habanero Orange Beef.  The Ghost Pepper is based on a comment in a jerky forum...

1 lb Round Eye cut 1/8th cross grain

1/3 Cup Soy Sauce

1/3 Cup Worcestershire

1 tbs Onion Powder’

1 tbs Garlic Powder

1 tsp Smoked Paprika

1 tbs Honey

2 Whole Ghost Peppers

Len - I have to try this. It sounds delicious 

• Like 1

Len - I have to try this. It sounds delicious 

It is.  And healthy -- in moderation.  When my kid went to the BSA National Jamboree, they got 'scout bucks' for participating in activities.  Some genius showed up with a tractor trailer full of jerky which could be purchased with those points.  On the ride home he regaled me with tales of beef jerky.  (Better than chew or snuff, right?)  I was surprised to learn this jerky could cost from $20 to more than $100 per pound and decided to do some research.  What I found is that off the shelf jerky is not very healthy.  We had a fruit dryer, so I bought a roast, made a marinade, and dried out some thinly sliced beef soaked in the marinade.  It was great.

Now, I have a deli slicer and a nine tray dehydrator and dozens of recipes.  I also make raisins and dried mushrooms.

Have fun!

• Like 1

What could be better than that?

Lol, I guess, but I'm partial to Fall weather myself... I am especially looking forward to Fall this year since all the Summer festivals were cancelled...

Hot here today 106 degrees. Gotta love Northern California.

Noooooo, lol... I love Fall so I am glad the cooler weather has arrived...
  • Like 1

It really was orange here yesterday, all day. It got darker as the day went on.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1303887933309693953

(the Giants played a night game that started at 6:45pm, but it was really dark all afternoon.)

Air quality wasn't terrible - it didn't smell like smoke. It's just trapped in the upper atmosphere (something something science) and it prevented the sun from shining through.

Now, that was nice - it was only 65 here yesterday because there was no sunlight. It was in the 90s the day before.

12:21pm: https://twitter.com/jachristian/status/1303775642303913984

Noon at the beach in SF: https://twitter.com/bethlaberge/status/1303792109829279745

• Like 1

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, to assist me in choosing a new table for my kitchen.

I have a table in my kitchen.  It has a wooden eating surface.  Wet or cold drinks leave rings on the table.  It never feels clean to me.  It's gotta go.  The existing table has to go by 10/24.  I'm looking for a table that cleans easily is resistant to human beings, and seats six comfortably.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, to assist me in choosing a new table for my kitchen.

I have a table in my kitchen. It has a wooden eating surface. Wet or cold drinks leave rings on the table. It never feels clean to me. It's gotta go. The existing table has to go by 10/24. I'm looking for a table that cleans easily is resistant to human beings, and seats six comfortably.

I just bought a "new to me" table for my sewing room at our local "Re-Store" (Habitat for Humanity). It has a self storing leaf and was in fantastic shape. They knocked down the price because it was "stained" but I was able to clean it up! Best $43 I have spent!
  • Like 1

Good day all!

September brings a mix of emotions.  Sad to see summer go, but will enjoy the nice weather and change of landscape.  Christmas will be different; one child lives halfway across the country now so won't be here for Christmas and another will probably be social distancing still at that time; said child wouldn't even join the rest of the family when the child who lives on the east coast was visiting for family pictures outside.  

I am trying to avoid doing so much online shopping, especially from Amazon, but its hard to beat their prices and shipping speed.  I prefer to avoid brick and mortar stores right now but will go if necessary.

I avoid church mostly as the mask culture is weak there.

I had my daughter do school via Zoom for the first 7 days since her sister was visiting and I didn't want her to get exposed to the virus right away.  She wasn't a fan of that and was glad to go back in person.  She also works in a nursing home.  So things are very different here, especially with school starting.

• Like 1

I just bought a "new to me" table for my sewing room at our local "Re-Store" (Habitat for Humanity). It has a self storing leaf and was in fantastic shape. They knocked down the price because it was "stained" but I was able to clean it up! Best $43 I have spent!

ReStore is one of my absolute favorite places to shop!

• Like 1

I have a table in my kitchen.  It has a wooden eating surface.  Wet or cold drinks leave rings on the table.  It never feels clean to me.  It's gotta go.  The existing table has to go by 10/24.  I'm looking for a table that cleans easily is resistant to human beings, and seats six comfortably.

Len, what color or style are you looking for?