GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

First car...1972 ford gran torino..with a 351 cleveland engine....paid 80 dollars cash because seller said roof was rusty(surface rust from landau top removal)...sanded and painted it looked like new. it was my 16th birthday present to myself( i had been working since 14)...Loved that car!!!( all my guy friends were jealous of this little girl)

• Like 1

We finally found out the plans today for returning to work. As I suspected, we will return July 20, one week before teachers come for pre-planning. We will go back to our old schedule of remote work 1 day a week.

As we have 7 people in a portable trailer, they had to make some changes. 3 people will move out and to another area, and 4 of us will stay. My husband and I will switch our desks to the ones being vacated by those moving. Sounds fun.

Guess I need to start washing my hair with a color stripping shampoo, to try and bring it back to close to handbook-approved color! Makes me sad, I was quite enjoying being a "purple head"!!

• Like 3

My first car was a 1971 Buick Skylark. 455/4barrel carb, power everything and leather throughout. Paid cash for it and financed the stereo I installed for three years (Pioneer through Columbia House).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7ORtbZEdZRU/U7ulIEWKZKI/AAAAAAAAgFU/b3LOwGzVNms/s1600/1971-Buick-Skylark-Gran-Sport-455.jpg

If you still that car in perfect shape you could buy a whole lot of stuff from the sale of it now. Very nice :)

If you still that car in perfect shape you could buy a whole lot of stuff from the sale of it now. Very nice :)

That's the car not *my* car.  Mine was never in perfect shape.  Still, some guy paid $7k for it in 1971, so it was pretty nice despite warts.  In today's dollars, that would be a $50k vehicle.  It was eight years old when I bought it.

• Like 1

I'm a breast man.  At the grocery store, that's where my eyes go.  I'll suffer unappealing breasts if packaged with a single, fully formed, nicely shaped, pleasingly plump breast.  The under achievers are set aside for lesser dinners while that one, perfect piece is reserved for Chicken Cordon Bleu.  

I set the breast smooth side down in the freezer until it is stiff but pliable.  I take off the raggedy side with my meat slicer then` set the blade to half the thickness of the chicken and cut almost all the way through.  I butterfly the cut breast, slip it into a large plastic bag, and pound it to a uniform shape and thickness with a rolling pin.  I salt and pepper both sides, coat the worse side with a film of dijon mustard, layer with sliced ham then swiss cheese then more ham, roll the whole mess up and secure, coat with flour then egg then flour again, and air fry at 350 for 14 minutes.

You're supposed to use panko crumps and parm cheese for the outer coating, but my kid prefers the 'fried chicken' version I described.  

This week I grabbed the best breast.  It was huge, nearly square, and more than an inch thick.  It was too big to cut on my meat slicer, so I carefully cut it with my electric knife.  I had to 'truss' the roll because it was too big to secure with metal skewers.  For the first time, I used the temperature probe of my air fryer to cook from top and bottom at 360 until the middle reached 165.  This thing looked like a small loaf of bread when I removed it from the air fryer.  I had to locate and remove the twine, but that was easy peasy.  Then I sliced it like a loaf of brioche.  I served it with roasted broccoli and riced cauliflower and garlic knots.

My awesome air fryer

Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe

My only deviation from Ms. Laurence's recipe is to simply use flour for the outer coating.

Bon Appétit!

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 2

I wish I could get a nice barn find car. I have been wanting to restore an old muscle car and put proper modern drivetrain and suspension under it. Can’t find anything that’s not just about rotted away though unless I want to pay $20k or more for just a starting point.

First car - 67 Barracuda an oldie but goodie - after I burnt up the engine (long story) ... I bought myself a 55 Nash Rambler - loved that thing - no A/C, seat-belts, or radio - but quite a conversation maker! ;)

Oh wow, would LOVE a Cuda.

Man - MONDAY the 13th is far worse than Friday the 13th! (at least this one is!!!) Was on the computer at 2:40 this morning and we were having some pretty rough thunderstorms ... Well there was a huge clap of thunder and all of a sudden a POP and sparks from behind my computer. Obviously the modem got hit with lighting and it traveled through the 75' cable I was hard wired in with and zapped my Ethernet card. It also fried the modem, both bases of our cordless phones, so no phones. It took out the 50' TV in our bedroom, and some other electronics, and the computer that allows hubby to work from home (high-risk) that feeds into his work computer in the next state will no longer turn on (we think the power supply got zapped) - so he is on his way to Mississippi to try to get another one! (They have only had 119 positive cases of covid where he works - as of yesterday!!!)

I would go back to bed - but at this point I would probably fall out and break my neck! :(

Man - MONDAY the 13th is far worse than Friday the 13th! (at least this one is!!!) Was on the computer at 2:40 this morning and we were having some pretty rough thunderstorms ... Well there was a huge clap of thunder and all of a sudden a POP and sparks from behind my computer. Obviously the modem got hit with lighting and it traveled through the 75' cable I was hard wired in with and zapped my Ethernet card. It also fried the modem, both bases of our cordless phones, so no phones. It took out the 50' TV in our bedroom, and some other electronics, and the computer that allows hubby to work from home (high-risk) that feeds into his work computer in the next state will no longer turn on (we think the power supply got zapped) - so he is on his way to Mississippi to try to get another one! (They have only had 119 positive cases of covid where he works - as of yesterday!!!)

I would go back to bed - but at this point I would probably fall out and break my neck! :(

Wow that really sucks. Hopefully your homeowners insurance covers everything and gets it replaced quickly.
  • Like 1

Dang!  Thankfully you weren't hurt. I hope your day gets better!!

• Like 1

2762426?wid=350&hei=350&op_sharpen=1

My Gourmia Tri-Basket Digital Deep Fryer crapped out (the heating element powers on, but the buttons do nothing) after just over three years.  I bought it in April of 2017 from Kohls for $38.49 (gottadeal, right?).  I started out frying stuff in a dutch oven, but had trouble managing temperature.  This solved that problem.  I read that people re-use oil as many as ten times.  Sounds crazy, but I would like to reuse oil if possible given the price of peanut oil.  Filtering and storage of the used oil are not as important as temperature management, reliability, and ease of cleaning, but they are on my radar.  Also, I only fry in oil about three times a year.  We do it for for a whole day -- fritters or doughnuts for breakfast, chips with lunch, and a fisherman's platter for dinner.  Then we start frying anything and everything until I run out of batter.  

The T-Fal FR8000 is a top rated fryer with a filtration and storage system, but it is 4x the price of my old fryer.  

Panned by America's Test Kitchen, but higher rated than the FR8000 by Amazon reviewers, is the Presto 05411 GranPappy   To me, the big drawback to this option is that the temperature cannot be adjusted.  The GranPappy always cooks at 375F.  This chart recommends a wide range of temperatures.

While reading about the GranPappy, I stumbled across this Presto 06009 Kitchen Kettle Multi-Cooker/Steamer.  It is inexpensive, has adjustable temperature, is multipurpose, and has good ratings.  The controls are mechanical and likely more durable...  

• Steams, stews, roasts, boils, deep fries and more.
  • Deep fries up to ten cups for jumbo batches of chicken, fish, fries, and donuts.
  • Multi-use basket for deep frying, steaming, and blanching. Ideal for seafood and vegetables.
  • Basket hooks onto rim of multi-cooker for draining.
  • Fully immersible and dishwasher safe with heat control removed.
  • Material type: Non-Stick Glass Aluminum

It looks like I ought to be able to cook three lobsters in a 10qt pot.

I don't know if people deep fry these days or has used this specific appliance, but I'd appreciate any input.  

Just bought tickets to go watch the races at Daytona on the Road Course, got great seats row 3 in the section cant wait, i live close enough that we can drive over in the morning and drive back home after the races end.

cant wait the last race we were at was Coke 600 at Charlotte and my daughter has talked about wanting to go back again and watch in person herself so i had to jump at this chance

• Like 1

Just bought tickets to go watch the races at Daytona on the Road Course, got great seats row 3 in the section cant wait, i live close enough that we can drive over in the morning and drive back home after the races end.

cant wait the last race we were at was Coke 600 at Charlotte and my daughter has talked about wanting to go back again and watch in person herself so i had to jump at this chance

A few years ago, our Boy Scout troop attended a jamboree at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon.  I had seen fast cars speeding around a track on television, but had only been to New England Dragway in Epping.  We were allowed to be in the stands of the track while a Corvair club was doing laps.  I don't know how fast those cars were moving, but the smell, roar, and feel as they passed in front of me was intoxicating.   

I don't know if people deep fry these days or has used this specific appliance, but I'd appreciate any input.

My one piece of advice, since I only deep fry turkeys on occasion, so have never owned an electric deep fryer, much less one with built in filtration, is to check out this awesome hack for cleaning deep fry oil over and over from Serious Eats.

A Mind-blowing Technique for Cleaning Deep Fry Oil

• Like 1

Thank you.  I'm giddy!

Be sure to be absolutely clear on the method before beginning. The first time I did it, I brought the water to a boil and then added the gelatin before stirring and adding to the oil. It still cleaned the oil I used, but wasn't as effective as I thought it would be. I realized my mistake the second time, and it worked much better.

As Kenji says, don't be surprised by some bubbling and popping when you first heat the clarified oil. It is leftover water burning off, and soon dissipates.

• Like 2

Happy July everyone!  My family is getting restless in this mess and we are wanting to travel.  Unfortunately, pretty much wherever we are interested in going is effectively shut down or could be.  The health risks are high, and seems to leave our choices to outdoors stuff.  Any suggestions on what we can do during this mess that is indoor?

• Like 1

Good day all!  

Is it just me or is July kind of dragging on?   Seems like it should be almost over but there are still almost 2 weeks left.  

In other news, we are starting to get fresh blackberries!

Happy July everyone!  My family is getting restless in this mess and we are wanting to travel.  Unfortunately, pretty much wherever we are interested in going is effectively shut down or could be.  The health risks are high, and seems to leave our choices to outdoors stuff.  Any suggestions on what we can do during this mess that is indoor?

It is frustrating to me that the presidential library and museum in our town, at last check, was still closed.  Plenty of space there for social distancing and it would help our local economy if it was open.  I hope you find some fun options!

Wow! That is horrible. Our big screen got taken out a couple years ago when the power company was doing work down the line. We didn’t want to make an insurance claim. But I did call the electric company. They said that’s why we are supposed to have a ground. I said we do.... maybe they should’ve warned people who had power that they were going to work on the line. Was a waste of breath but worth a try.
  • Like 1

Inside source just told me Walmart will be closed on thanksgiving. Not sure if it’s all or just my local one

I just read an article on that. Means more police officers will be able to be home too with their families on BF. Since, Walmart seems to hire them to stand on every aisle.