GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

Just what we need! :(

‘Pandemic potential’: New swine flu strain discovered in China

DALLAS (NEXSTAR) — A strain of swine flu that scientists fear has the potential to become a pandemic in humans has been identified in China.

According to a report from the BBC, researchers are concerned the flu could mutate and easily spread from person to person. Right now, it’s carried by pigs but could infect humans, according to scientists.

Experts say this strain has “all the hallmarks” of adapting to impact the human population. With it being a newer virus, people would likely have little to no immunity.

“We just do not know a pandemic is going to occur until the damn thing occurs,” Robert Webster, an influenza investigator, told Science Magazine. “Will this one do it? God knows.”

Scientists say G4 EA H1N1, which is the name of the new virus, could grow and multiply in human airways. They say the current flu vaccines don’t appear to protect against it, according to the BBC report.

“Right now, we are distracted with coronavirus and rightly so. But we must not lose sight of potentially dangerous new viruses,” said Prof Kin-Chow Chang of Nottingham University in the UK in an interview with the BBC.

Scientists wrote in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that it’s important to control the virus in pigs and monitor people who work with the animals.

“From the data presented, it appears that this is a swine influenza virus that is poised to emerge in humans,” said Edward Holmes of University of Sydney, according to Science Magazine. “Clearly this situation needs to be monitored very closely.”

The last major flu outbreak was the swine flu of 2009. That outbreak turned out to be less deadly than originally feared because many people had immunity to it, according to the BBC.

Scientists wrote this new strain is similar to the 2009 version of the flu — but with just enough changes to make it problematic.

i tried i really tried, a month ago I had to file for unemployment, unlike other people here in Florida, I had no issues with my claim, got my first payment a week later still getting payments on time. Then i get this email from my work and I get all excited they are looking for workers to come back and help out for a week for High School Graduations, cool great YES i will do it, then they send me the details and I go read them, oh no! there is a catch if you are collecting unemployment then you are not allowed to work this event. SMH...so instead of paying me to actually work they would rather keep paying me to sit at home.

and they wonder why so many rather just collect unemployment, between my weekly amount and the $600 bonus i am making more money a week right now than when i was working. Just amazing.

• Like 2

I can't believe the year is half over and we haven't really been able to do anything. Yes, things are open, but limited. We wanted to go somewhere this weekend since hubby has an extra day off but with other states closing again, it's a risk we're not willing to take. I really want to go somewhere but don't want to chance everything being closed when we get there. I know I shouldn't say it, but what is July going to bring us?

• Like 1

Happy July!  Just two days until two weeks off.  Two weeks hanging out beside my sister's pool.  She's a very good sister, so a cold beer will always be within reach.  The year is flying by.  Should be getting ready for Prime Day, but...not shopping for anything anyway.

• Like 2

Wow, already July! My tiny town is planning to still have the County Fair at the end of this month like they do every year. I’m having a hard time figuring out how that is even a good idea. I never attend due to my disgust for being outside in hot weather, but it brings a lot of people to a very small place, and I thought that was the opposite of what we should be doing. But what do I know.. 

• Like 2

Happy July everyone!  Hard to believe that half the year is gone.  Leaving in 18 days for vacation.  Going out west to ride around and see the sights - Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Old Faithful, Little Big Horn, Glacier National Park, and going on a dino dig in Montana!  Woo Hoo!  

• Like 5

going to be weird to have a July 4th weekend without any Firework shows

Plenty of public fireworks in New Hampshire. Three nights in Salem. Fireworks are sold retail as well. With school out and so many home, I have heard fireworks somewhere nearby most nights since before Memorial Day.

July...….cue the heat advisories along with a pandemic......oh yay. Kill me now      <insert eyeroll>

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.  The only thing I am doing remotely holiday-ish is having homemade ice cream, which was always a tradition growing up.  

• Like 5

going to be weird to have a July 4th weekend without any Firework shows

Agreed. Pretty much all the local-to-me pro displays have been cancelled. And I’m a pyro who’s not willing to risk losing her lease to buy some and fire them off in my complex (plus, with all the kids & doggos around me, I wouldn’t think of being that rude/reckless).

Think I’m taking a chance, taking my mask, and heading to IRP (Indianapolis Raceway Park or, technically, Lucas Oil Raceway) to take in an ARCA race Friday night. It’s a small track and will only sell tickets up to 50% of capacity. I’m going through live racing withdrawals and I know a couple of the racers in it personally. I plan on doing a “down and back”, taking a nap break if needed on the way back, since the race doesn’t start till 8 pm and it’s about a 4 hour drive for me each way.

Hope my GD fam has a safe & happy 4th weekend! [emoji4]

• Like 4

Happy July! At work we are gearing up for the new school year. Not as much or the same as years past, but there's still things to do.

New teachers start in just over 2 weeks, all teachers a week after that, and students will return in just a little over 4 weeks!

We still haven't been told when we will be returning to the office. But I expect it to start in some capacity around July 20 when new teachers start. I wish we'd find out though, because I need to start washing my hair with a color stripping shampoo, as I may or may not have a handbook approved hair color right now! Of course, it's only noticeable in the sun, and I sit in a dark trailer, so probably no one would see or notice anyway.

• Like 1

Happy July Folks!

we are fortunate to have an above ground pool and my goal is to swim (float) every day.

DH will be on day shift so skinny dipping nights......

Don't usually go to fireworks and our only dog doesn’t seem bothered by them so we are lucky with him too.

Did hear about the new pig virus. But they did say it was not imminent. What Next???

Hope all stay well.

• Like 1

Can’t believe this year is already halfway over.  Then again, that might be a good thing, considering how it’s gone so far.  

June brought a hockey goalie camp for my little guy (out of state since ours was still “closed”), the opening of our local water park (with lots of social distancing, but no masks!) and little guy’s birthday yesterday.  Plans for the 4th are to hit the waterpark and maybe catch a local fireworks show. Most of the big ones have been canceled, but I’m holding out for the little town closest to us to keep theirs going.  

We are celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow at DHs suggestion.  We celebrate Christmas in July on the 25th and he reminded me that we hadn’t yet had “pretend” Thanksgiving, so I have the turkey ready to go in the roaster. Once that’s out of the way I can crank up the Christmas carols, make a few just-for-fun gifts and start planning THAT menu.  :hungry:

• Like 3