When to possibly expect the bigger ads to drop this year

Brad

As I do every year, I looked at the data from the past 4 years including when each store's ad was posted and the date Black Friday fell on each year. Based on these numbers and this year's Black Friday date (November 29th), here is the "average" day you can expect these ads this year:

November 6 - Kohl's

November 7 - JCPenney

November 11 - Target

November 11 - Macy's

November 12 - Best Buy, Sam's Club

November 13 - Walmart

November 18 - GameStop

November 19 - Lowe's

November 21 - Home Depot

You can go back through the last 13 years to see the leaked dates for many stores here: https://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/Dates

This year Black Friday falls on the latest possible date, the 29th (last year it was on the earliest possible date, the 23rd). This is going to make it especially difficult to accurately predict when the bigger ads will drop this year.

For example, if a store has leaked their ad on the 2nd Tuesday of November the last couple years, will that still happen or will they push it to the 3rd Tuesday because of how late BF is this year? Or some day in between? We won't know until it happens.

• Like 7

For smaller Kohl's purchases, before BF they've been doing the Veteran's Day sale where you get $10 off $25, then 30% off and free shipping for Kohl's Charge cardholders. You basically get $25 in stuff for $10 shipped. I usually place 5-10 orders each year during that sale.

• Like 7

For smaller Kohl's purchases, before BF they've been doing the Veteran's Day sale where you get $10 off $25, then 30% off and free shipping for Kohl's Charge cardholders. You basically get $25 in stuff for $10 shipped. I usually place 5-10 orders each year during that sale.

I have a friend working at Kohl's this year and with the extra sales and her discount I'm very excited about the sales there this year [emoji51][emoji51]

I have a friend working at Kohl's this year and with the extra sales and her discount I'm very excited about the sales there this year [emoji51][emoji51]

I'd be curious to learn more about the employee benefits/discounts.  When I was a youngster, I worked at Zayre Department Store.  Everyone got 10% off the sale price if they had to take a rain check.  Layaway was free.  Employees always got 10% off everyday and 20% off one or two weeks before Christmas.  I accumulated a lot of stuff via rainchecks during the year that sat on layaway until 20% off.  I looked like santa leaving the store.  I remember two Atari 1050 disk drives which were normally $229.99 going on sale for $179.99 which were $162 after raincheck and $130 after 20% off.  Everyone got a HUGE 25" tv for Christmas!

• Like 1

I'd be curious to learn more about the employee benefits/discounts. When I was a youngster, I worked at Zayre Department Store. Everyone got 10% off the sale price if they had to take a rain check. Layaway was free. Employees always got 10% off everyday and 20% off one or two weeks before Christmas. I accumulated a lot of stuff via rainchecks during the year that sat on layaway until 20% off. I looked like santa leaving the store. I remember two Atari 1050 disk drives which were normally $229.99 going on sale for $179.99 which were $162 after raincheck and $130 after 20% off. Everyone got a HUGE 25" tv for Christmas!

The employees currently get 15% off...but during friends and family, the week before Christmas (I believe) and one other time it will be like 35-55%...
  • Like 1

I thought about getting a part time job at Target for this same reason!   :sidesplit

I actually *am* working on getting a part time job at Torrid (women's clothing, for those who may not be aware) so I can freshen up my now "much smaller-size required" (went from a 26 down to a 10/12) wardrobe. All my previous fall/winter clothing is too big!!! Employees get 30 or 40% off (can't recall which). Killer. 

My interview is next Wednesday!  :trampolin

• Like 9

I actually *am* working on getting a part time job at Torrid (women's clothing, for those who may not be aware) so I can freshen up my now "much smaller-size required" (went from a 26 down to a 10/12) wardrobe. All my previous fall/winter clothing is too big!!! Employees get 30 or 40% off (can't recall which). Killer. 

My interview is next Wednesday!  :trampolin

That's awesome!  

Good luck at your interview!!!

• Like 1

That's awesome!  

Good luck at your interview!!!

Thanks! :)

Hoping we can work around the day job well enough for me to make good use of a part time gig, assuming they decide they like me well enough to give me a shot. (And yes, I made clear on the application that I do have a "day job" that requires my primary attention, so no surprises for them if/when that comes up in discussion.) 

• Like 1

So here's where BF taking place 6 days later comes into play. Last year, Kohl's released their ad late Wednesday night and Target released theirs Thursday morning of this coming week (10/31 and 11/1 last year).

But last year that was ~3 weeks before BF. So the question is, do they release their ads this coming week because it's the same week as last year or do they wait a week since BF is later and we don't get them until the 6th/7th of November?

Personally, I think they are worried about the shorter period between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year, so they'll release their ads earlier and try to increase sales in the weeks before BF to try and make up for it.

So my prediction is that this coming week will be the week we get some bigger ads. They might want to avoid Halloween and so like last year, Kohl's might release it late at night on the 31st (this Thursday night) and Target could follow Friday morning (November 1st). November 1st seems like a good date to start their sales and both Kohl's and Target put some of their BF deals online the same day their ads are released. I think Walmart and Best Buy will again hold off until at least the following week.

• Like 5

Am I the only one who is anxiously waiting for Menard's to drop? I LOVE that Black Friday ad. Best deals ever on so many items!

We don’t have one around here but they r finally in the process of building one about 40 mins from where I live so I can not wait till they open. I’ve never been there but I hear it’s awesome