Amazon says it’s working on free one-day Prime shipping

Brad

I really wonder how their cost analysis works on moving it to one day. Some of my deliveries are done by what I swear are doordash or uber drivers between trips - not UPS or USPS - and I wonder if that is keeping their costs down.

Me: Just don't change my Whole Foods discounts.

Another price hike and I'm out.  I already don't take advantage of many of the Prime membership perks because they don't interest me so I'm really not getting my money's worth plus there are many times when I don't even get my packages in 2 days once shipped.......

I'll be interested to see just how this works in my mostly rural part of the country

Another price hike and I'm out. I already don't take advantage of many of the Prime membership perks because they don't interest me so I'm really not getting my money's worth plus there are many times when I don't even get my packages in 2 days once shipped.......

I'll be interested to see just how this works in my mostly rural part of the country

I live in a city and these days I feel like 50% of my shipments don’t arrive in 2 days anymore. Most of the time it being late is just annoying but sometimes it’s been a real issue. I don’t foresee them being able to back up their 1 day shipping promise.

• Like 1

Prime is $10/month if you pay annually.  I don't think I'd pay that for discounted shipping.  I have always been comfortable planning orders to get free shipping.  I'm not sitting on the toilet ordering paper.  On the other hand, Netflix is $13/month.  If you are streaming Prime video and Prime music, borrowing books, AND getting free shipping, Prime is a bargain.  I own seven Echo Shows.  The default background on these is a set of photos I've uploaded to Prime space.  I enjoy music and entertainment during routine tasks like meal preparation and cleanup.  I also prefer the Prime video library to what is on Netflix.  

I'm always looking for a better deal and am rooting for Walmart, but Amazon still looks like a good deal to me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I've ever used their music service and I'm not a fan of the video. Maybe I'm just not wise on their ways but I always have a hard time figuring out what's free and what's not. When I search for something to stream I don't want all the stuff I need to pay for just show show me the included stuff. We still have it for the free shipping which we make use of but with Walmart and others starting to up their shipping game that is becoming less and less valuable now.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
I was hunting around on Amazon for a gift idea on my lunch break today and a decent number of the items that I scrolled through offered free 1 day prime shipping. I was surprised at the number of items that it applied to. I haven’t been on Amazon a lot recently but I feel like this was the first time I noticed the 1 day free shipping really being applied consistently. Wondering if anyone on here has been using it and if Amazon has actually been able to meet the delivery timeframe?

I was hunting around on Amazon for a gift idea on my lunch break today and a decent number of the items that I scrolled through offered free 1 day prime shipping. I was surprised at the number of items that it applied to. I haven’t been on Amazon a lot recently but I feel like this was the first time I noticed the 1 day free shipping really being applied consistently. Wondering if anyone on here has been using it and if Amazon has actually been able to meet the delivery timeframe?

Yes, every item that offered 1 day shipping has arrived the next day. And you're right, there are quite a few items available now. When it first started you had to have $35 of eligible items, but that restriction seems to be lifted.

I ordered something today mid-morning that is set to arrive tomorrow.

• Like 1

I really wonder how their cost analysis works on moving it to one day. Some of my deliveries are done by what I swear are doordash or uber drivers between trips - not UPS or USPS - and I wonder if that is keeping their costs down.

Me: Just don't change my Whole Foods discounts.

Lol...you are partially right. I know in my area and other areas as well, Amazon has Amazon Flex. It’s a pt job (ft for some ppl) where Amazon pays you to deliver their packages in 3-5 hr blocks. You get paid about $20/hr and you’re paid on Tuesdays and Fridays. You use your own car. My cousin & I actually signed up to do it for some extra money and I do my first run Sunday.

post-93023-0-78286500-1568431321_thumb.jpeg

Edited by mommyofanangelb
  • Like 1

I’m already planning on canceling my Prime when it’s up in February.

I live in a rural area and my ordering window for 2-day is Monday-3 PM Wednesday. Any time after that doesn’t come until the following Tuesday.

In addition, I can’t remember the last time a pre order arrived on the release date.

It’s totally not worth the money when they can’t fulfill their end of the contract.

• Like 1

Right now, my beef with Amazon is the quality of their shippers.  My last two orders were a disaster.  One was clothes.  The box was crushed with tears on all sides.  The clothes within were not wrapped in plastic, so they were soaked by the day's rain.  My last Subscribe and Save shipment was similarly damaged.  I had a can of cooking oil which was damaged to the point that it could not stand up.  No leak, but I was unhappy.  The order included a gallon of Worcestershire sauce which developed a slow leak.  My shopping with Amazon was already on the decline.  This may put my Prime membership in jeopardy.

From the sounds of it, I'm glad I only use the free one month trial once a year :)

I only use it to take advantage of watching shows (still need to see the newest season of Sneaky Pete), and if I know I need to order something and don't want to wait for it.  I've had the option to use the free trial since Prime Day, but decided to hold off.  Maybe I'll sign up around Black Friday in case they have some good deals then.