GottaDEAL 2019 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

Checking in for the month.  Starting to flood pretty bad around these parts, but I'm land locked so while flash floods could be an issue, I'm safe.  Tornadoes though might be another issue.

I'm landlocked too but just 10 miles to my west and 10 miles south of me there are many homes.  Storm drains are flooded so the water is coming out of them in some places.  More heavy rain expected this week with nowhere for the water to go. 

• Like 2

Just had a very bittersweet realization. I’m going to be on vacation out of country (and with very limited internet access) during the first 2 full weeks of November. I’m really looking forward to my trip but it just occurred to me that I’m going to miss all the amazing conversations on here as the ads are released/posted. That makes me sad to know I’m not going to be able to actively partake in the excitement on here [emoji20]

OH NO!  At least Black Friday is late this year. We'll be sure to save the really fun stuff for when you get back :).  Enjoy your trip!

I'm landlocked too but just 10 miles to my west and 10 miles south of me there are many homes.  Storm drains are flooded so the water is coming out of them in some places.  More heavy rain expected this week with nowhere for the water to go. 

I hear you on the more rain.  I think it will get worse before it gets better.  Our first 90 degree day was today with a heat index of 100 and I don't really mind it if it helps getting the water out of here, but more rain won't make one hot day help any.

For those of you who have been following along, Amazon is Wooting a lot of cool stuff.  Login with your Prime credentials for free shipping...

https://www.woot.com/offers/amazon-echo-show-first-generation-black-or-white  $50 1st Gen Show

https://computers.woot.com/offers/amazon-fire-hd-8-2018-32gb-tablets  $50 Alexa Enabled 8" Fire Tablet

https://computers.woot.com/offers/echo-dot-3rd-gen-smart-speaker  $20 Dot

https://computers.woot.com/offers/amazon-echo-connect-black  $13 Echo Connect 

"Alexa, turn on kitchen.  Alexa, drop in on Paul's Room.  Alexa, show salmon recipe.  Alexa tune to Heroes & Icons."  That's me chatting up my best girl after a long day at work.  Turning on the lights over the kitchen sink and stove, getting my kid's attention, and catching a couple episodes of House while I prepare dinner.  "Alexa, add milk to my shopping list."  "Alexa, reorder paper towels."  "Alexa, play Havana."  "Alexa, play WRKO."  "Alexa, play my news." "Alexa, what's the weather?"  "Alexa, how's traffic from Danville, NH to Lynn, MA?"

Recently, I added an Amazon Recast to my smart home.  It doesn't really make the house smarter, but I can now watch TV while doing dishes and control my FireTV sticks with my voice (haven't yet...who talks to a television?) and wirelessly connect that TV in my living room (which is not near ethernet or coax) at 4K (streaming) or 720p (OTA).  I think I like the Recast, but it is too new for me to review at this time.

Mostly, I use smart lights and smart plugs.  I have a couple cameras and a pair of smart thermostats, but have used neither.  I've been trying to think of something to watch with the cameras.  Nothing so far.  I move my thermostat about six times a year and only have two wires to each.  I could not see replacing batteries to avoid getting off my butt six times a year -- five, since I'd have to get off my butt to change the batteries. 

I like smart plugs best as they can automate just about anything.  I put all my Christmas decorations on smart plugs -- "Alexa, turn on Christmas."  I put scent diffusers on smart plugs -- "Alexa turn on smell."  I put air conditioners on smart plugs -- "Alexa, turn on my AC."  "Alexa, turn on coffee."  "Alexa turn on rice."  "Alexa, turn on toaster."  There are really no limits with these plugs.

I have use for smart bulbs as well.  In some places, it doesn't make sense to install a switch or use a plug.  Sometimes, I just want a bulb to act independent of other bulbs (on the bookcase of my bed) or sometimes I want the bulb to have special features like color.

Switches are most permanent and require much thought.  I use Insteon switches that work as normal switches when no smart hub is available.  One of my spring projects is to disable the motion detectors on my outside lights.  I have purchased three way switches for each which can be controlled by Alexa.  I have purchased switches for overhead lights in my dining room, kitchen, family room, and hallway.

I haven't considered a lot of smart devices just because I think they introduce risks I am not willing to accept.  It's one thing to let Jeff Bezos to listen in on my conversations and watch my behaviors.  It's quite another thing to let him unlock doors and control appliances.  I'm OK with a camera at the door, but not with remote unlocking of the door.  On the other hand, I'd consider a smart lock in conjunction with a traditional lock so that I could leave door 'unlocked' for someone who needed to enter my unoccupied home.  Then I'd have use for the cameras.

Some devices are simply a solution in search of a problem.

I haven't figured out why the washer needs to talk to the dryer.  Mostly, smart washers facilitate remote control and monitoring (by you and the manufacturer).  I would not run a washer unless I were home and set a timer on Alexa to alert me to the finish of a load, so no smarts there.  Smart also doubles the cost of the washer and probably dramatically increases likelihood of failure.  You can learn more about smart washers here: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/washing-machines/article/smart-washing-machines-explained.

Smart refrigerators do a lot of interesting things.  Here is a link to an article about these features: https://www.lifewire.com/smart-refrigerator-4158327. Some are better done by other devices and some are too much work, but I would like to be able to look inside my refrigerator when I'm away.  I'd like to be able to smell it too ;-)  Too much money to justify a smart refrigerator.  Maybe I can put one of those cameras in the frig?  Smart refrigerators (and cabinets) will make more sense once bar codes are replaced with 2D codes and, eventually, RFID -- it's closer than you think: http://www.waspbarcode.com/buzz/future-barcodes.  I like the idea of a digital whiteboard, but prefer it stick to the front of the refrigerator.

Anyone who has ever pre-heated an oven with a loaf of bread inside knows why smart stoves are a bad idea.  (I start the coffee maker, rice steamer, toaster oven, and slow cooker in the middle of the glass top of my stove to minimize risk of fire -- Alexa, turn on stove outlet.")

All of this smart stuff is pretty cool.  Except for the Shows and Recast, it's all pretty inexpensive.  Here is a look at devices that work with Alexa... 

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/880-best-alexa-compatible-devices.html

The smart baby monitor is pretty cool ( I don't think the shades would pay for themselves in energy savings and I don't mind setting them manually, but I do like the idea of letting the sun in gradually on weekends -- especially in the summer (https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/880-best-alexa-compatible-devices.html#s28).  

Lots of security risks (first thing you do configuring a device is to send your home network's wifi password to China in most cases) even if you are careful.  I recommend putting your IoT on a 'guest' network.  

• Like 2

*pout*

I don't have that many. I think I have three, because of the forum hiatus I took for a few years.

ah, well.

Same for me..*boo-boo face*

not the hiatus, but not in the budget for a few years

Maybe I’ll give a couple away to the first members who can post a pic of at least 10 or so previous GD shirts.

Lucky I just happen to be going through boxes getting ready for a move at the end of the month...

Untitled-1_zpsof6rrcga.jpg

The two on top left are the only regular GD t-shirts I have. The rest should be a near complete collection of the BF tees. Still waiting for my GD polo.

• Like 11

Seeing the shirt teaser has me wishing I hadn’t whiffed myself out of the club already this year. Fail. lol

That said, had a good time at Michigan Int’l Speedway this weekend in spite of the weather that pushed the race to last night.

Here’s a pic of me with three of my favorite people in the world. The one on the right is Brad Keselowski’s rear tire changer, Jake, someone I’ve been blessed to call “brother-from-another-mother” for over 10 years. On the left is Jake’s brother (and dear friend of mine) Jordan, with their dad behind us photobombing. [emoji38] Good times.

8e40f5c9dc72f07b9323232ede423012.jpg

• Like 5

Maybe I’ll give a couple away to the first members who can post a pic of at least 10 or so previous GD shirts.

Unfortunately, I don't have 10, but I proudly wear the ones I have. ;-)post-193973-156034120571_thumb.jpeg
  • Like 3

now i have to go find them all lol

Lucky I just happen to be going through boxes getting ready for a move at the end of the month...

Untitled-1_zpsof6rrcga.jpg

The two on top left are the only regular GD t-shirts I have. The rest should be a near complete collection of the BF tees. Still waiting for my GD polo.

thats for the reference lol I am pretty sure i have all of those

My week is actually looking up. I've been getting more gigs with the schools, so I should have a little money coming in at the end of next month. And Beorn's father bought Beorn a round trip airline ticket for a two week visit starting the night of the 25th!

My roommates and I are going to need to get used to having a fourth person in the house again. But, it's been a few years since Beorn and I have visited, so I'm excited!

B"H, my health is currently in a good place, after the issues of the past several years. We should be able to focus on just being together, without concerns overwhelming the visit.

Edited by Gator Pam
  • Like 4