3D printers - does anyone have one or are considering one for BF?

Gator Pam

Does anyone have, or are they considering, a 3-d printer? I know they can be extremely expensive, but if I can find a reputable one for under $200, I'll consider it.

I was looking into them a couple years ago.  From what I remember, the more budget friendly printers only take one type of filament, which is costly.  So, that's one thing to research before purchasing.  Kind of like ink printers - the more expensive printer up front, will have more reasonably priced ink and the inexpensive printers up front will have more expensive ink to replace.  

Good point.

However, I'm thinking of getting it for the first year out of college son of my roommates. At one time, he had expressed interest in making customizable pens via a 3-d printer. That fell by the wayside as he lost access to the 3-d printer he had in achool, and he went out in to the lower level retail business (I e., night stocker at Walmart) after graduation. I'm hoping getting him a low level 3-d printer may spark that interest again.

Regardless, I won't be supplying him with filament. But, if it does grab him, he can then decide how he would want to pursue continuing when the time comes to refill.

I have a 3D printer from Prusa Research and it's supposed to be one of the best on the market and has won a bunch of awards. BUT it's not cheap. I think the built version is around $1000 now. As for $200 or so my friend got the BF deal on the Divinci one a couple of years back and it's been great. Now you are supposed to have to use their filament BUT I did some research for him and some people make gadgets to reset their spools so you can use standard filaments again which makes it much more reasonable.

I would love to have one, and I'd want to get a kit to build it. This is a good idea i hadn't thought if yet, I'll have to start looking out for them. Maybe Santa will bring me one.

My son is finishing his second semester learning Solidworks, so maybe he could help me learn to design things. :)

Thank you all! It looks like I should keep my eye on the XYZprinting by DaVinci.

Do you know where I could find BF deals on it?

To be honest it's really hard to say where they are going to pop up. I think my friend got his from B&N for their BF sale.

Don't have one but will be buying stock in them. I really wanted to start playing with this as it maybe the wave of the future if they can get the particles stable enough outside of industrial use.

*nod*

Hence why I want to see if getting an inexpensive model may pique this young man's interest in such, again.

• Like 1

*nod*

Hence why I want to see if getting an inexpensive model may pique this young man's interest in such, again.

Once he has it the juices will flow. It's funny I got mine for a specific reason. Then once I had it found new things to use it for. We have one of those garbage cans that the lid opens auto, the door to the batteries was lost so we had to use it manual. THEN I was like WAIT and I drew one up and printed it out. So for about $0.30 of material I fixed our garbage can. :)

• Like 2

*nod*

Yep, it will be a gold mine if done correctly

Once he has it the juices will flow. It's funny I got mine for a specific reason. Then once I had it found new things to use it for. We have one of those garbage cans that the lid opens auto, the door to the batteries was lost so we had to use it manual. THEN I was like WAIT and I drew one up and printed it out. So for about $0.30 of material I fixed our garbage can. :)

Thats what I am talking about. The uses are endless. Have something broke fix it in no time. 

• Like 1