Will all the store closings hurt consumers this year - less deals?

arci122

With Kmart Sears and Toys R Us closing stores, I am a little worried that with less competition, we won't find as good of deals this year.  Even JC Penney closed 8 stores this year.

I know the circle of life for retail usually brings in new ones, we just are not seeing them in the Northeast.  Remember the days of Ames, Bradley's, Calador, Jamesway, Woolworth, Montgomery Wards (ok, I'm showing my age).

• Like 4

With online competition steadily increasing I’m hoping that will force the brick and mortar stores to remain competitive. That being said, I’m hoping that we will see the in store hours starting to shift back to later in the day and eventually to Friday in the next several years. With so much shopping being done online I’m hoping stores will realize it’s cheaper to not open the physical stores on Thanksgiving and to just staff their online support people.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

With online competition steadily increasing I’m hoping that will force the brick and mortar stores to remain competitive. That being said, I’m hoping that we will see the in store hours starting to shift back to later in the day and eventually to Friday in the next several years. With so much shopping being done online I’m hoping stores will realize it’s cheaper to not open the physical stores on Thanksgiving and to just staff their online support people.

I can't see that happening anymore. The outrage of 4-5 years ago over Thanksgiving openings has nearly all subsided and it's just accepted now. Keeping stores open one extra day costs virtually nothing compared to the extra sales they get that day.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

Yeah, I think having Thanksgiving all day with family on Thanksgiving is a thing of the past now...I wouldn't mind going back to the old ways, but I think we are used to it and too many stores and customers have conformed to this new "normal", myself included... 

Yeah, I think having Thanksgiving all day with family on Thanksgiving is a thing of the past now...I wouldn't mind going back to the old ways, but I think we are used to it and too many stores and customers have conformed to this new "normal", myself included... 

Still a thing with us. I don't and won't go out shopping until my normal times. We eat lot's of food and watch lot's of football on Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

Absolutely.

I also think most stores will open early on thanksgiving and close at midnight again and reopen early in the morning on Bock Friday. It’s almost like it used to be. Stores need to have different sales for each event. Thursday’s specific sales and Friday specific sales like some did last year. To really pull the excitement and get folks to come out both days.

• Like 1

Yep,

But it opens the door for online shopping. The only thing is the online shopping is not guaranteed. They can cancel the order, lose it in shipping, etc. It is nothing like having that gift or item in hand and know you can check it off. 

Absolutely.

I also think most stores will open early on thanksgiving and close at midnight again and reopen early in the morning on Bock Friday. It’s almost like it used to be. Stores need to have different sales for each event. Thursday’s specific sales and Friday specific sales like some did last year. To really pull the excitement and get folks to come out both days.

Yes the different sales at different times is a must. 

Yep,

But it opens the door for online shopping. The only thing is the online shopping is not guaranteed. They can cancel the order, lose it in shipping, etc. It is nothing like having that gift or item in hand and know you can check it off. 

Yes the different sales at different times is a must. 

As I seem to recall at some places like Wal-Mart having it in hand doesn't mean you're getting it either. I see the news stories every year of beat down's for towels or a toaster or some other silly thing. ;)

• Like 3

As I seem to recall at some places like Wal-Mart having it in hand doesn't mean you're getting it either. I see the news stories every year of beat down's for towels or a toaster or some other silly thing. ;)

Oh, if it's in my hand I'm getting it.

(That's my attempt at sounding much tougher than I really am. LOL)

• Like 4

Oh, if it's in my hand I'm getting it.

(That's my attempt at sounding much tougher than I really am. LOL)

I remember one year almost throwing down with a guy in Best Buy. He wanted a GPS so bad he almost knocked a visibly VERY prego woman down to get in front of us. Explained to him for his own safety he should probably leave at that point. I'm not a small guy and neither was my Brother In-Law standing right next to me. :fryingpan

• Like 5

SO SAD BUT SO TRUE!!!!!! I will never forget the old lady taking things out of my buggy. 

With all of the online shopping, I was able to get a lot of things I wanted. Then I just went to the physical stores to "enjoy" the black Friday excitement!

Yes I will be doing a good deal online but I have to go to the stores too. 

• Like 1

I usually have all of my shopping done online (thanks Gottadeal!) before BF actually hits. But out I still go :). I love it and I would want to go even if there was absolutely nothing left to get. My sister and daughter in law do most of the buying when we're out, but I can always find a few things to pick up in store.

I do most of my shopping online now and just go to a few stores on Friday. One thing I will really miss is going to Toys R Us and having grandkids actually see and pick out toys they wanted as they had more toys than all the other stores.

Same here...I do everything online now. Especially since BF has changed over the years. I’m not that disappointed as I know all good things must come to an end. I just hit a couple stores Friday just for the sake that’s it’s BF lol. I’m definitely going to miss the TRU Big Book. That’s been a part of my girls Christmas tradition since they were little.

I don't live near a very big town, so we have very few big box stores.   Our Kmart and JCPenney both closed this summer, so its dwindling down :(  

We still have a couple of Kmarts and JCP is still going, just not sure how much longer with will last here...JCP is usually busy, but IDK how their sales have been and if they are on their last leg...

I do not think there will be less deals.  You may not be as excited by what you can pick up in a store (looking at you Staples) on Black Friday, but these days, the sales start earlier, run later, and offer more good deals.  It's not as much fun, but, I believe, we are saving more.  I just re-applianced my kitchen.  I got 44% off retail in September.  Nothing wrong with that.

The last time I shopped K-mart of BF was a Thanksgiving day.  Because Massachusetts did not allow stores to open on Thanksgiving and this store was just across the line in Salem, NH, the sale was made available Wednesday.  Those of us in line Thursday found all items out of stock with no rain checks.  I have not returned since.  I have never been to T'R'U or Sears on BF.  I do not think either has had an impact on BF in years.  Not sure anyone would buy big ticket items from Sears given it's precarious situation.

A lot of us have been saddened by the evolution of Black Friday.  Expect this year to be more of the same, but it's not because of the stores which are leaving us.  It is because of the relentless competition for our dollars which increasingly includes online behemoths and happens throughout the year.

Also, online behemoths are, increasingly, brick and mortar stores.  Kohls always has an amazing BF flyer but getting the same things online triggers cash back from some of the credit cards and ... well ... you know.

Black Friday has changed every single year since I was a child but it has always saved me money and entertained me.  This year will be no different.

• Like 1

With all of the online shopping, I was able to get a lot of things I wanted. Then I just went to the physical stores to "enjoy" the black Friday excitement!

The excitement just isn't there anymore. I remember years past going to KB Toys (when I had little kids) really early in the morning, and people being friendly and helpful. We split up and were at different stores and had to use walkie talkies (showing my age, now). Standing outside Kohl's with Santa hats singing Christmas songs hours before the store opened, even got our picture in the local paper. And friendly customers, too, willing to pass things back to you. Not so much anymore.

Walmart has always been a mess. Probably 25 years ago turned our back on our shopping cart, and it disappeared. Last time I was there standing by some video games, I got knocked over into the display. Haven't been back. 

About eight years ago was standing outside Best Buy in a long line, and as soon as the doors opened, people rushed and cut in line. Overwhelmed the security. 

Never really had an issue with Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, but that is a different clientele.

Last year went to Dick's Sporting Goods, was first in line 45 minutes before the store opened, and only six people in line when the brick and mortar store opened. Of course, it's Dick's, but.....

BF has really changed,and online shopping is going to impact the brick and mortar stores even more as they all compete for the almighty dollar. I think what we will likely see less of are those people willing to take days off from work and camp out outside Best Buy as those items will be available online. If the servers can hold up to the traffic.

Edited by tgfathergoose
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The past 5 or 6 years the deals are nothing like they used to be. The best deals went away after the closing of Circuit City. There are decent prices, but nothing like the good old days of KB Toys, Circuit City, Comp USA, Caldors, etc. As the competition left, so did the deals. Many of the deals are found online now... but after 27 years of going to brick and mortar where I am always first, not about to risk possibly getting the items online when the servers get overloaded and then 7 days later you find that they ran out and you are SOL. 

• Like 1