Official Black Friday TELEVISIONS Discussion Thread

Brad

How do I make sure that the tv I buy my son will be good for gaming?  He has an xbox and I see that some tvs have a slow response rate - and I'd hate to get him something that has a good picture, but bad for games.  He plays things like Fortnite - so picture quality isn't that important to him.

How do I make sure that the tv I buy my son will be good for gaming?  He has an xbox and I see that some tvs have a slow response rate - and I'd hate to get him something that has a good picture, but bad for games.  He plays things like Fortnite - so picture quality isn't that important to him.

rtings.com is truly your friend for this kind of thing. They give detailed reviews but also rate TVs on a 1-10 scale in various categories. Gaming is one of those categories. 

Edited by wittenlover
  • Like 1

The only problem I see is that RTINGS.com may not review these budget doorbuster TVs. I do see some budget TCL (decent ratings for gaming) TVs, so maybe one of them will be on sale. Start looking at the ads and start researching TVs you may be interested in before the big day hits. Again, doorbuster TVs are good for secondary TVs, but if you are buying for the family and you budget can afford it, you may want to go with a better quality. When I bought mine this year, I was all up and down from sub $800 TVs up to $2000+ trying to find the right balance between quality and price. Since I don't buy a TV every year, I wanted to get the most for my money so I didn't regret my purchase.

• Like 2

I went all out. I wanted the 65 inch LG OLED B7, but when I went to buy it, it was out of stock. I ended up getting the C7 (next step up) which I really didn't want because the price difference isn't worth the price of built in speakers (better w/ atmos); same TV, but speakers are different. I would recommend the B7 if you have a a/v receiver. I looked at Samsung, Sony and LG. I looked at price ranges from around of $800 to $2000. I compared all kinds of features and quality. I knew I wanted a 65 inch going in. I would look at a feature and think, for a few dollars more, I can get a little better TV. I love watching movies with my family and picture quality was a big thing. I paid the price (Gotta good deal), but I love it. I only have ONE regret, but I think everyone has this: what if the next year model is even better (the C8 wasn't a vast improvement). I could have bought a cheaper TV and been happy, but I am extremely happy with my purchase.

• Like 3

There is always something better, we love our 70" 1080p Vizio TV but the next year the 4k version was out and the same price. I was and still am very happy with it though and likely won't replace it until OLED 70" or 75" TV's are at a price point I consider reasonable.

• Like 1

Does anyone own a Hisense TV? Our son needs one in his room and I saw the 40" Hisense for 99.00.  We are not real picky about our TVs so as long as it has decent sound and it has a decent viewing quality, then it's fine.  I also want one that will last at least 3-5 years.  He doesn't really need a smart TV because he already has a Roku.

Edited by starbeck96

I'm trying to decide between several of the cheap doorbuster tvs...Currently considering the 65" TCL tv Walmart has for $398, Best Buy's Sharp 55" for $249, Target's 55" element for $199...The tv will be for the finished basement in the home we are having built...we are looking for something CHEAP that will get the job done as it will most likely not be a tv that remains in the basement permanently...the hope is to purchase an EVEN larger tv (as hubby seems to think 55-65 in won't suffice permanently  :holiday09 ) with more bells and whistles down the road when we have a larger budget for such...whatever tv we go with this BF will eventually replace the ancient 32" Vizio in our bedroom. As far as whether or not any of the tvs are TRULY a smart tv or not is not a concern to me...we have multiple Apple Tv's that we use and prefer anyways.  :eyepoppin

I'm toying with that Sharp in BB's ad but a 55" in the space I have for it is very literally the largest that I can physically fit there, so I'm not sure I want to go that big. Was hoping for better 50" deals. 

But... Between the three you mention, you're better off with either BB or Walmart's deal. The $199 is cheap but that's about it. You'll get better quality out of either of the other two. 

• Like 1

There is always something better, we love our 70" 1080p Vizio TV but the next year the 4k version was out and the same price. I was and still am very happy with it though and likely won't replace it until OLED 70" or 75" TV's are at a price point I consider reasonable.

You may find yourself waiting until the Qleds come down in price (almost there).

Now what about the Toshiba 4K in BB ad ? 

What exactly, refresh rate for gaming or overall impressions?

If you're honestly worried about getting a quality set, don't bother with anything that doesn't have a good rtings.com review.

But if you're just looking for a big TV to put on the wall to impress the neighbors, go ahead and grab that door buster.

Seriously, there are a ton of technological advances going on in TVs these days and its really hard to know which TVs are actually better than others.

- Wide color gamut

- High dynamic range

- Quantum dot blacks

- refresh rates

...and more.

Rtings will set you straight if you're really worried about it.

But in the end, chances are you can get something that will really make you feel good about yourself pretty cheap this Black Friday.

Have you seen the Sceptre 65" 4K set at Walmart already available for $400???

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-65-Class-4K-Ultra-HD-2160P-LED-TV-U650CV-U/48874705?u1=&oid=223073.1&wmlspartner=RjWYtCqO0*M&sourceid=32857873014015026907&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

The brightness is on the low side, but not the lowest I've seen.  The contrast is also on the low side.

But 65" for under $400...come on now...and it says it's 10 bit!

Edited by Pnambic
  • Like 1

Have you seen the Sceptre 65" 4K set at Walmart already available for $400???

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-65-Class-4K-Ultra-HD-2160P-LED-TV-U650CV-U/48874705?u1=&oid=223073.1&wmlspartner=RjWYtCqO0*M&sourceid=32857873014015026907&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

The brightness is on the low side, but not the lowest I've seen.  The contrast is also on the low side.

But 65" for under $400...come on now...and it says it's 10 bit!

They could buy it one month, and look at a big black screen the next.

• Like 2

Now what about the Toshiba 4K in BB ad ? 

Not only is it disappointingly small as compared to previous Door-buster offerings, but it is lacking HDR (at least on the box and product info). As far as the overall value is concerned, it is a serviceable TV at a great price. I do like the fire OS built in for not so obvious reasons. Definitely not camp-worthy, but worth trip to line-up for.

• Like 1

Does anyone own a Hisense TV? Our son needs one in his room and I saw the 40" Hisense for 99.00.  We are not real picky about our TVs so as long as it has decent sound and it has a decent viewing quality, then it's fine.  I also want one that will last at least 3-5 years.  He doesn't really need a smart TV because he already has a Roku.

I personally don't but my buddy bought the first model year of the Hisense Roku TV and he loves it.  I go over to watch sports and I think the picture is great.  Also has good sound.  And honestly,  for 99 bucks you can't go wrong.

• Like 1

Welcome home!  Thought you died.  Let's talk about the sweet spot in televisions for BF2018!

Close.  Heart attacks suck.  Pay attention to your health people.

They could buy it one month, and look at a big black screen the next.

True, so buy two just in case. XD

Not only is it disappointingly small as compared to previous Door-buster offerings, but it is lacking HDR (at least on the box and product info). As far as the overall value is concerned, it is a serviceable TV at a great price. I do like the fire OS built in for not so obvious reasons. Definitely not camp-worthy, but worth trip to line-up for.

You talking about the front page one?  If its the same screen as the one RTings tested...(https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/toshiba/amazon-fire-tv-2018)

- very VERY narrow viewing angle

- brightness isn't terrible, but it's less than you'd want in a main use TV, especially in a bright room

- Lack of Wide Color Gamut is a bummer, but not surprising at this price point

- lack of WCG means HDR is pretty much useless - it might be able to interpret the signal, but it only has the 24 crayon box to reproduce the picture, not the 64 crayon box

- But as a 43" 4k monitor (pretty much like 4 22" 1080P monitors without the borders), it could be really interesting...

• Like 1

Wow, sorry to hear about your heart attack.  I hope you are doing well now.

Wow. Glad to know you're okay now, Pnambic. A hearty "welcome back, glad you're still here" from this MI chick. I always appreciate your explanations and input on the forum. 

Sorry to hear that. Have missed your contributions here and am glad you are better!

:gdthankyou:

Don't want to get too off-topic here, but the thing is, none of us make it out of this life alive.  So it was a good reminder to be thankful for the love in my life now and to do what I can to grow and spread that love.  I got lucky and caught it and got to the hospital very early.  I've had some really strange other health issues since that they're working to chase down, but life is good.

...Now back to your regularly scheduled Black Friday Television programming.     :blahblah:

• Like 2

Just a heads up.  We just bought the LG 55" OLED 4k TV at Costco yesterday.  It was $200 less than the Black Friday price.  

Oh dang!  That's a top notch TV.

How's it look?

Amazon has it for about the price of a Costco membership more in case you don't have a Costco near you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079TSV11D?tag=rtings-tv-ph11a-20&ie=UTF8

Edited by Pnambic

Just a heads up.  We just bought the LG 55" OLED 4k TV at Costco yesterday.  It was $200 less than the Black Friday price.  

The Navy Exchange (not everyone can shop there though) has the LG 65" C8 (next model up) for $1999. Great price! (and it's not even BF)

• Like 1

Close.  Heart attacks suck.  Pay attention to your health people.

True, so buy two just in case. XD

You talking about the front page one?  If its the same screen as the one RTings tested...(https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/toshiba/amazon-fire-tv-2018)

- very VERY narrow viewing angle

- brightness isn't terrible, but it's less than you'd want in a main use TV, especially in a bright room

- Lack of Wide Color Gamut is a bummer, but not surprising at this price point

- lack of WCG means HDR is pretty much useless - it might be able to interpret the signal, but it only has the 24 crayon box to reproduce the picture, not the 64 crayon box

- But as a 43" 4k monitor (pretty much like 4 22" 1080P monitors without the borders), it could be really interesting...

A heart attack, wow.  Thank God you are ok.  Take it slow. Glad to have you back. 

Question for everyone.  I snagged the Visio 70" 4K at Sams in the one day sale Saturday.  Yesterday, I exchanged my cable box with the cable company so it was compatible.  Now, I'm looking for a good DVD player that will upscale/upconvert?? whichever it is.  From what I've read and looking at the ads I'm contiplating:

Samsung M9500

Sony UBP X700 or 800

LG UBK80 (Because of the good price at Meijer)

am I totally off in my thinking.......what would you guys suggest?

Oh dang!  That's a top notch TV.

How's it look?

Amazon has it for about the price of a Costco membership more in case you don't have a Costco near you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079TSV11D?tag=rtings-tv-ph11a-20&ie=UTF8

Still in the box but the display one in the store impressed me and I'm not a tv person.  I drive DH crazy because I've been known to watch non HD channels without a care in the world.  

• Like 1

A heart attack, wow.  Thank God you are ok.  Take it slow. Glad to have you back. 

Best Buy will have both the Sony UBP-X700 and the LG UBK90 for 149.99 on BF. Both support Dolby Vision which should look great on your size tv. The LG model comes with Dolby Vision already installed. The Sony model requires a download.

Question for everyone.  I snagged the Visio 70" 4K at Sams in the one day sale Saturday.  Yesterday, I exchanged my cable box with the cable company so it was compatible.  Now, I'm looking for a good DVD player that will upscale/upconvert?? whichever it is.  From what I've read and looking at the ads I'm contiplating:

Samsung M9500

Sony UBP X700 or 800

Does anyone have a recommendation on a large tv (55" - 65" inch) that has good picture but is NOT a "smart" tv?  I want to buy a new tv for my dad, who lives in the boonies and can't get internet.  Thank you in advance!

I apologize for not answering the question you asked, but I would still take a look at the tcl roku televisions.  You can configure them to power on to the last connection used so, he won't have to deal with the smartness.  The thing he will love is that if you plug a 16g usb stick onto the tv, it can pause, rewind, and fast forward through 90 minutes of television.  When you are going back and fourth, there are visual clues as to where you are (stills).  I have this one...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-55-Class-4K-Ultra-HD-2160P-Roku-Smart-LED-TV-55S405/787770978

I like it a lot.  It also has a grid style guide which is populated with PSIP guide data so there is no need for internet or a service.

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 1

Samsung M9500

Sony UBP X700 or 800

Which model TV did you get? I didn't look at the ad, so I'm not sure? Online, it looks like all the Vizio 70 inch TVs support Dolby Vision.  If your TV has Dolby Vision, you may want to consider a player with that capability to add another notch of visual improvement (for lack of better term).

• Like 1