Dell laptop, digital camera, printer

Guest DigDoug

Guest DigDoug

Hi guys,

I have a coworker that is looking for a few items. I've recommended that she go for a Dell laptop. She would like to spend around $1000, she wants to be able to word process, watch DVDs, etc on the laptop. She wants a laptop with a decent sized screen. I'm thinking the Inspirion line.

She is also looking for a high speed printer. I'm waiting for her to reply as to whether she wants an all-in-one solution, or if she is simply looking for a printer and if she wants a bubble jet or laser, and color or black & white.

Finally, she is looking for a digital camera with software & equipment to print and edit photos.

I'm thinking she may need 2 printers - one for photos and the other for everything else.

I know this is a TALL order.

Dell has the XPS M140 laptop for $799 which is a great deal.

Recommended upgrades:

• 14.1 inch WXGA TrueLife™ LCD Panel [add $29 or $1/month3]
  • 80GB 5400rpm Hard Drive [add $35 or $2/month3]
  • 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability [add $60 or $2/month3]
  • Intel® PRO 2200 and Dell 350 Bluetooth Internal Wireless Cards [add $39 or $2/month3]
  • 9-cell Lithium Ion Battery (80 WHr) Additional Battery [add $129 or $4/month3]

Guest DigDoug

Ok, Ross, here were my questions to her and her answers. It's a deal-off! Show me whatcha got! ;)

[DigDoug] For the printer, are you looking for an all-in-one solution with printer, scanner, fax, copy machine?

[Coworker] An all-in-one solution sounds great, if affordable. What's the difference in price btw a plain old laser printer and an all-in-one?

[DigDoug] Do you have a preference of laser printer over bubble jet printer?

[Coworker] I'm thinking that a laser printer would be preferable. It's faster than the bubble jet, right?

[DigDoug] Do you want that printer to be able to print color?

[Coworker] Definitely yes.

[DigDoug] For the photos, most digital cameras & photo printers will come with some sort of software that allow you to print/edit photos.

[Coworker] So I would need a special photo printer to print photos? Sorry if this is a silly question!

If she wants fast, cheap ink, and nice photo printing capabilities, recommend a Canon Pixma ip5000. They are no longer made, but the ink is "chip-less", so it's extremely cheap. There's a company (Adorama Camera, I believe) on Amazon that I've gotten 2 of them from, now. They are ~$150 shipped, but to replace all 5 ink cartriges is <$18 if she gets an aftermarket ink.

For an AIO solution, the Canon MP780 uses the same inexpensive ink, but it's going to be closer to $200 up front.

This looks promising. Is this a good choice for fast printing AND photos?

I haven't printed a lot of photos on my MP750 but they come out beautiful.

Remember for printing pictures it's best to use the special photo paper which is $$$

Just my http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileys/deebac87.gif, but what about a b&w laser printer and sending color photos to Sam's (Costco, BJ's, Wal-Mart, etc.) to be printed.

I crunched some numbers a while back and couldn't figure out why people do photo prints at home.

I get 4x6s from Sam's for $.14 each.

Guest DigDoug

Good point Marcster. FWIW, aren't the prints from Sam's etc better than home printers?

Is this Canon considered a "photo printer"?

Good point Marcster. FWIW, aren't the prints from Sam's etc better than home printers?

Is this Canon considered a "photo printer"?

Even though I have a photo quality printer, I still send almost all of my pictures to Walgreens. They are better than what you will get off of a home printer and the cost is less as well.

Yes, that AIO is considered a photo printer.

Even though I have a photo quality printer, I still send almost all of my pictures to Walgreens. They are better than what you will get off of a home printer and the cost is less as well.

Yes, that AIO is considered a photo printer.

And I don't have to let the ones from Sam's sit out to dry for 24 hours before putting them in a binder (as requested from the directions of the last batch of photo paper I looked at).

And I don't have to let the ones from Sam's sit out to dry for 24 hours before putting them in a binder (as requested from the directions of the last batch of photo paper I looked at).

Serious? I've never seen anything like that with Canon paper.

Guest DigDoug

If she wants fast, cheap ink, and nice photo printing capabilities, recommend a Canon Pixma ip5000. They are no longer made, but the ink is "chip-less", so it's extremely cheap. There's a company (Adorama Camera, I believe) on Amazon that I've gotten 2 of them from, now. They are ~$150 shipped, but to replace all 5 ink cartriges is <$18 if she gets an aftermarket ink.

For an AIO solution, the Canon MP780 uses the same inexpensive ink, but it's going to be closer to $200 up front.

Nate, where do you get the ink for this Canon? I'm drafting my deal proposal to her now. LOL. She's a great coworker though, so I'm happy to help her out.