Gaming computer opinions needed

Jen8112

So my son really just wants a gaming computer. I've said no forever cuz they are so expensive. Would any of the $250-300 laptops or desktops on BF work for gaming? I tried Googling but I'm graphics cards dumb! I mean I know they aren't as good as a $1,600 gaming computer but would it "work" or should I not bother and just get him a PS4? Lol

Like len said, it is easy to find a tower that can be used for gaming and there are plenty of them for sale during Black Friday. We need to know which game he wants to play. That way, we can match up a suitable graphics card to keep him literally in the game and running smooth. There are also such problems as the power supply, and whether it can handle the additional load. When we match up a tower, we also have to make sure that it has the proper slot to receive the graphics card.

My son also wants a new computer. In his case, he has a set limit on what he can afford to play World of Warcraft. We could build one, but the pre built option may be better since we have graphics cards laying around.

Games like Overwatch, Team Fortress 2, Garys Mod, and some general indy games. And possibly older CODs to mod.

Also would we be able to upgrade the graphics card later? I'm not a total techy but I've upgraded RAM and replaced a couple CPU fans. Lol

• Like 1

Overwatch is the more demanding game.  Essentially, requiring an i3/i5 with accelerator.  Integrated graphics of a 6th generation i5 or i7 should get the job done.  You can certainly get an i5 cor $300.  If you can go to $450, you can get an i7 laptop.  Check out the third link below to see restrictions for playing each.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/25/overwatch-is-shockingly-playable-on-a-laptop-without-a-graphics-card/

http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17611951903

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Overwatch-Notebook-and-Desktop-Benchmarks.166833.0.html(scroll down to restrictions)

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/black-friday-1641-HP156Corei7Laptopw8GB1TB.html

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/black-friday-4049-Acer156Corei5Laptopw6GB1TBOnlineOnly.html

Also, consider A10 laptops.  I have not been there for a long time and have concerns about heat, but they are supposed to be better gamers than comparably priced i core machines...

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/black-friday-323-HP156AMDA10Laptopw8GB1TBOnlineOnly.html

Personally, I would go with a PS4 or an Xbox One especially in the $2-300 range.

One more thing, if you are looking to purchase a desktop and want to upgrade video without worrying about upgrading the PSU or fitting a big honking video card in the case, the gtx 1050 is the only card you need to consider...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3134528/components-graphics/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-and-gtx-1050-ti-review-the-new-budget-gaming-champions.html

Overwatch...

Minimum Requirements Recommended Specifications Operating System
Windows® 7 / Windows® 8 / Windows® 10 64-bit (latest Service Pack)
Windows® 7 / Windows® 8 / Windows® 10 64-bit (latest Service Pack)
Processor
Intel® Core™ i3 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8650
Intel® Core™ i5 or AMD Phenom™ II X3 or better
Video
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460, ATI Radeon™ HD 4850, or Intel® HD Graphics 4400
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 or AMD Radeon™ HD 7950 or better
Memory
4 GB RAM
6 GB RAM
Storage
30 GB available hard drive space
Internet
Broadband internet connection
Media
None for the recommended digital installation
Resolution
1024 x 768 minimum display resolution

Team Fortress 2 Minimum Requirements
CPU: Pentium 4/Athlon XP or better CPU Speed: 1.7 GHz RAM: 512 MB OS: Windows 2000/XP/Vista Video Card: DirectX 8.1 compatible video card (NVIDIA GeForce4+ / ATI Radeon 8500+) Click here for the latest video card drivers Sound Card: Yes Free Disk Space: 5 GB

Team Fortress 2 Recommended Requirements
CPU: Pentium 4/Athlon XP or better CPU Speed: 3 GHz RAM: 1 GB OS: Windows 2000/XP/Vista Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible video card (NVIDIA GeForce 7900+ / ATI Radeon X1900+) Click here for the latest video card drivers Sound Card: Yes Free Disk Space: 5 GB
  • Like 1

Have you considered having him build his own?  You can save money (to a point) when going that direction.  The typical gaming computer ($1600) can be built for about $600.  It will also get him involved in the inner workings of the computer.  Installation instructions are included with each item and it is actually fairly easy to assemble them.

If building them from scratch scares you, he can start with a prebuilt computer, then add a medium duty video card, such as the one Len suggested above.  The $329 Lenovo at Best Buy (with the i5) will do the trick as long as you buy a video card that has a "low profile bracket".  The video card should run around $100-$150.  If you don't have a monitor, Best Buy has the same computer paired with a large monitor for $399 pictured next to it.

Granted, the PS4 is only $250, but it will be mainly used for gaming.  A computer will also allow him to do his homework, school reports, and surf the web easier.  To me, the computer is much more versatile and therefore worth the extra $200.

Overwatch is the more demanding game.  Essentially, requiring an i3/i5 with accelerator.  Integrated graphics of a 6th generation i5 or i7 should get the job done.  You can certainly get an i5 cor $300.  If you can go to $450, you can get an i7 laptop.  Check out the third link below to see restrictions for playing each.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/25/overwatch-is-shockingly-playable-on-a-laptop-without-a-graphics-card/

http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17611951903

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Overwatch-Notebook-and-Desktop-Benchmarks.166833.0.html(scroll down to restrictions)

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/black-friday-1641-HP156Corei7Laptopw8GB1TB.html

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/black-friday-4049-Acer156Corei5Laptopw6GB1TBOnlineOnly.html

Also, consider A10 laptops.  I have not been there for a long time and have concerns about heat, but they are supposed to be better gamers than comparably priced i core machines...

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/black-friday-323-HP156AMDA10Laptopw8GB1TBOnlineOnly.html

Personally, I would go with a PS4 or an Xbox One especially in the $2-300 range.

One more thing, if you are looking to purchase a desktop and want to upgrade video without worrying about upgrading the PSU or fitting a big honking video card in the case, the gtx 1050 is the only card you need to consider...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3134528/components-graphics/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-and-gtx-1050-ti-review-the-new-budget-gaming-champions.html

Overwatch...

Minimum Requirements Recommended Specifications Operating System
Windows® 7 / Windows® 8 / Windows® 10 64-bit (latest Service Pack)
Windows® 7 / Windows® 8 / Windows® 10 64-bit (latest Service Pack)
Processor
Intel® Core™ i3 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8650
Intel® Core™ i5 or AMD Phenom™ II X3 or better
Video
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460, ATI Radeon™ HD 4850, or Intel® HD Graphics 4400
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 or AMD Radeon™ HD 7950 or better
Memory
4 GB RAM
6 GB RAM
Storage
30 GB available hard drive space
Internet
Broadband internet connection
Media
None for the recommended digital installation
Resolution
1024 x 768 minimum display resolution

Team Fortress 2 Minimum Requirements
CPU: Pentium 4/Athlon XP or better CPU Speed: 1.7 GHz RAM: 512 MB OS: Windows 2000/XP/Vista Video Card: DirectX 8.1 compatible video card (NVIDIA GeForce4+ / ATI Radeon 8500+) Click here for the latest video card drivers Sound Card: Yes Free Disk Space: 5 GB

Team Fortress 2 Recommended Requirements
CPU: Pentium 4/Athlon XP or better CPU Speed: 3 GHz RAM: 1 GB OS: Windows 2000/XP/Vista Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible video card (NVIDIA GeForce 7900+ / ATI Radeon X1900+) Click here for the latest video card drivers Sound Card: Yes Free Disk Space: 5 GB

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for! I'll check out all the links. I honestly didn't even look at anything that wasn't Pentium/i3+ because I'm partial to them. I have an HP Pentium desktop that I bought on BF 2005 for $800 that still runs great! Granted that's the one I have upgraded the RAM twicw and replaced the fan twice but shes still kicken!  :cool:

Have you considered having him build his own?  You can save money (to a point) when going that direction.  The typical gaming computer ($1600) can be built for about $600.  It will also get him involved in the inner workings of the computer.  Installation instructions are included with each item and it is actually fairly easy to assemble them.

If building them from scratch scares you, he can start with a prebuilt computer, then add a medium duty video card, such as the one Len suggested above.  The $329 Lenovo at Best Buy (with the i5) will do the trick as long as you buy a video card that has a "low profile bracket".  The video card should run around $100-$150.  If you don't have a monitor, Best Buy has the same computer paired with a large monitor for $399 pictured next to it.

Granted, the PS4 is only $250, but it will be mainly used for gaming.  A computer will also allow him to do his homework, school reports, and surf the web easier.  To me, the computer is much more versatile and therefore worth the extra $200.

We did think about building our own but I honestly don't know what to look for for components. My neighbor told me last night that our other neighbor is in IT and build his sons computer. I'm going to ask if he can help! Oh and he has a Chromebook from school for homework ect. But obviously he can't game on it. Lol

Edited by Jen8112
  • Like 1

I do not recommend a laptop for gaming unless it has a dedicated mobile gpu and is advertised as such. I like the tower option better for gamers and all you have to do is check for a x 16 pci express slot in the detailed product description. Next, pick a graphics card that does not need extra power connectors if you are unsure how and why you need it, since most of today's midrange cards are what most people can afford. You can always check back here and bump your selection against your friends here like Len.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using GottaDeal mobile app

I will chime in as best as I can. I do think if you can build your own PC that is definitely the way to go and Newegg.com can help with all of this. They have great prices on all the components you would need to build a PC and in fact they will have these components on sale for Black Friday. I "built" a decent i7 build with a top end i7-6700K processor, 16GB of RAM, a 240GB SSD, 3TB HDD, Case, Power Supply, copy of windows, and AMD R9 Fury for $1160. Probably way more than you were thinking and that doesn't include monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers/headset.

As an alternative both Newegg.com and Best Buy will have pre-build gaming PCs for sale. These may include keyboard and mouse but no monitor and speakers/headset. Luckily these will be on sale at both places. This route can still add up.

A third option is to get a medium grade desktop PC without a GPU and add one in. For example, Best Buy has a nice medium grade desktop PC with a nice 27" monitor for $599.99. Has everything except a good keyboard, mouse, and speakers/headset. Thankfully Best Buy has these on sale in part with their half off sale on all Logitech G series accessories. You can get a really nice Logitech gaming keyboard, mouse and headset.

Admittedly I am partial to Logitech, but that sale is a great value and no matter what option you choose I would look into it as a good way to help complete which ever option you choose.

Just to echo what others have said I would generally avoid the cheap/low end desktops and laptops, especially. I would say that if you went with the option of building your own PC I would focus more on getting a decent processor. Two reasons; One being that processors are harder to upgrade, and can potentially require a whole new motherboard and, possibly, RAM. Two, you will generally get more mileage out of a processor than you would a GPU. So If you build a PC right, then down the line you could likely get away with just doing a GPU upgrade and then further down the line doing a processor and GPU upgrade.

EDIT: I wanted to add that, if you're son has interest in Overwatch, then you will definitely want to go to GameStop on Black Friday because they will have the PC version of the game on sale. Also, it is unlikely that Blizzard will offer a sale on the game, digitally and even if they did it isn't likely to match GameStop's price.

Edited by DaFees

OP was talking about $250-300 laptops or desktops.  You cannot build a PC to match the required specs for $300.  A Gen 6 i5 processor costs $200.  Windows costs $100.  A 1t disk costs $50.  8g of RAM costs $50.  $100 for a monitor.  A case, power supply, mouse, and keyboard will cost $100.  So, that is $600.  Plus shipping.  What's your time worth?  What is things don't work out?

The i5 and i7 desktops on this ad...

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/black-friday-1690-HPPavilionDesktopwCorei58GB1TB.html

are $360 and $500; add a 24" display for $100 (same ad) for less money or more computer with no hassles.

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 1

Some of these machines (you will REALLY have to look at specs) will allow you to upgrade some of the components at a later time. If you can get the processor you want and it the machine has at least an open PCI Express 3.0 slot then you can add a good gaming video card at a later time. Memory on most of these machines are standard as are the HDD's in them. By these machines I do mean desktops. If you're adventurous then you can also usually upgrade the CPU at some point. Gaming machines to me are subjective, what one thinks is good or good enough someone else may thinks it's garbage or way better than they have.

One thing with most machines if you're willing to upgrade over time and you do some homework ahead of time you can make them better.

Yea, you're not getting a "gaming laptop" for under $400.  You're not getting a legitimate "gaming laptop" for less than a grand, but there are plenty of laptops that can play minecraft under that.

Newegg has the closest I've seen with that Acer on page three of their ad (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834315712) for $420.  But if I'm going to game on that, I'm probably going to need to add a better (faster) hard drive and probably more RAM.  So we're still talking $500+ probably.

You mention upgrading the graphics card down the line and you're not going to be doing that in any cost effective manner with a laptop.

Places like Microcenter, Tiger Direct and Newegg often sell great kits to build your own computer and you can pick and choose a lot of the components to fit your performance needs and budget.  Last gaming desktop I built was a little over a year ago.  Spent about $600 on everything including case, motherboard, processor, cooler, 3GB video card, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVD drive, Wireless AC, 750 watt PSU, couple extra case fans, and other little odds and ends.  The kids love it and report it can easily handle all of their gaming requirements still.

Edited by Pnambic

Avid...well used to be avid pc gamer here.  Also mother of 2 teen boys and a hubby that games.  World of Warcraft, CoD, Overwatch, and some sort of Steam games that I have no interest in.  What I did this year..and I know Dell gets a bad rap.  But...one of my kids has had an Alienware for several years with no problem.. I went to Dell's Outlet and bought refurbished Alienware Alpha's for my hubby..and for my youngest son. They were $400.  I have watched my husband play multiple games on ULTRA settings with zero problems.  I did get my older son who is going to college a refurbished X51 with all the bells and whistles and it was only $700.  The Alpha is a tiny little thing, a cross between a desktop and a console.  Well worth $400.

• Like 3

Avid...well used to be avid pc gamer here.  Also mother of 2 teen boys and a hubby that games.  World of Warcraft, CoD, Overwatch, and some sort of Steam games that I have no interest in.  What I did this year..and I know Dell gets a bad rap.  But...one of my kids has had an Alienware for several years with no problem.. I went to Dell's Outlet and bought refurbished Alienware Alpha's for my hubby..and for my youngest son. They were $400.  I have watched my husband play multiple games on ULTRA settings with zero problems.  I did get my older son who is going to college a refurbished X51 with all the bells and whistles and it was only $700.  The Alpha is a tiny little thing, a cross between a desktop and a console.  Well worth $400.

Like this one? http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&cs=22&key=7%2bHd8pbwoWj%2bBzIoJfluK9YNmQvRm6n9&puid=93b45483

Bought my son a Lenovo last black friday at BB. The tower was 399 and picked up two monitors seperate. He games up to 12+ hrs a day sometime and has no issues. I was not spending the money on an alienware computer. He was doing it from a laptop before this.

jumping in here....

would love some suggestions, links, etc.  I'm totally spec ignorant but would love to get a tower and monitor for my kids. Son loves minecraft and the laptop I handed down to him did not work well (graphics maybe??) would also need for school work, but that's about it. 

TIA!

Edited by sassyaztec

do you have a budget?  

similar to OP said.... 250-300 would be ideal.

Excellent little read.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3144042/computers/black-friday-deals-the-cheapest-gaming-pc-you-can-build.html

Not cutting edge of course, but probably a good platform to build on and a great exercise to take the kid through.

Thanks!  My BIL will be here today and maybe this could be a project they do together.  He has built his own computers.