Is anyone else feeling like these are normal sales?

Khobbs1

I'm looking at some of these ads and am so far, feeling like these so called "Black Friday" sales appear no better than weekly sales.

Maybe I just am not looking for anything, but even weekly sale ads are now looking like normal everyday prices. Here's an example, looking at my weekly Best Buy ad, shows amazon fire tv stick with voice remote for 39.99, I can get this any day from amazon or staples for same price. Also, Arlo security cam systems, not really a sale, different prices for different number of cams, but again can get their weekly sale prices any day.

I have been able to score some really nice deals from kohls, nice shirts for $5, a pair of shoes I have been watching for 1/2 price.

Please don't let this be all there is for Black Friday.

Any one else having this problem? Hoping for more, maybe my expectations are just to high, lol.

Thanks

• Like 1

What's a normal sale?  We've been in recession for ten years.  Everything has been on sale for six years.  You really should not be looking through the ads for deals.  Instead, make a list of the things you want or need, read reviews to cull out makes and models that appeal to you, check the  deal sites for recent best prices, then compare to the BF ads.  We are within the return/rebuy period for most stores, so, if you see a good deal on something you want, buy it.  If you can top that price on BF or any other day, price match or return and rebuy.

• Like 2

What's a normal sale? We've been in recession for ten years. Everything has been on sale for six years. You really should not be looking through the ads for deals. Instead, make a list of the things you want or need, read reviews to cull out makes and models that appeal to you, check the deal sites for recent best prices, then compare to the BF ads. We are within the return/rebuy period for most stores, so, if you see a good deal on something you want, buy it. If you can top that price on BF or any other day, price match or return and rebuy.

Hahaha, how do you think I ended up here? I have made lists, just looking for the best deals as they are now, and reviewing previous years ads, which is really how I did end up here on gottadeal.

Again, lists are made, just st doing my research now, and came across a epfew things in weekly sale ads, that I can get any day of the week for same price.

"Is it just me or do the ads suck this year?"

When we bring back the t-shirts next year, that's going on the back :P

:) can't wait for that one. Edited by Khobbs1

Hahaha, how do you think I ended up here? I have made lists, just looking for the best deals as they are now, and reviewing previous years ads, which is really how I did end up here on gottadeal.

Again, lists are made, just st doing my research now, and came across a epfew things in weekly sale ads, that I can get any day of the week for same price.

:) can't wait for that one.

Then you should know.  Some deals are pretty pedestrian and others are very good.  It's about time for a top ten deals contest.  If that were live, I would go with these...

Vizio E50 70" 4K Ultra HD SmartCast Home Theater Display $928.00

Staples Samsung 27" Curved LED Monitor $179.99

Staples Dell 27" IPS LED Monitor $139.99

Staples Samsung 27" Wide-Screen LED Monitor $149.99

Staples AOC 24" LED Monitor $84.99

Staples Dell 24" IPS LED Monitor $99.99
Staples Samsung 24" Wide-Screen LED Montior $99.99
Staples Samsung 24" Curved LED Monitor $129.99
Roku 2 Digital HD Streaming Media Player $44.99

Staples Amazon Fire TV Stick $29.99

It's early, but all of these are great deals.

Then you should know. Some deals are pretty pedestrian and others are very good. It's about time for a top ten deals contest. If that were live, I would go with these...

Vizio E50 70" 4K Ultra HD SmartCast Home Theater Display $928.00

Staples Samsung 27" Curved LED Monitor $179.99

Staples Dell 27" IPS LED Monitor $139.99

Staples Samsung 27" Wide-Screen LED Monitor $149.99

Staples AOC 24" LED Monitor $84.99

Staples Dell 24" IPS LED Monitor $99.99

Staples Samsung 24" Wide-Screen LED Montior $99.99

Staples Samsung 24" Curved LED Monitor $129.99

Staples Amazon Fire TV Stick $29.99

It's early, but all of these are great deals.

While these may be good deals, keeping in mind, I'm not in the market for any of them, so from where I sit, very pedestrian.

I am moving on now, I do not wish to listen to someone that just wishes to argue and belittle others for their opinions. I was hoping for a little more help. Thanks for all that.

Edited by Khobbs1

No one ever said Black Friday sales were a science, there have always been better prices before during and after black Friday on several things, Toy's, electronics, Appliances and misc. The stores want you to but up until the Dec 24th that is why there are Sunday sales, preview sales, weds sales and special in store sales. Sales are what you make of them and what you are in the market for, They will not please every single person around 

• Like 2

Even if I'm not looking for something specific at Kohl's on BF, I usually find *something.* This year, the ad is just meh for me...and maybe part of that is it seems that they are excluding a lot more from their percent off sales.  For instance, in the past, I've gotten decent deals on video games they sell, though they don't have a great selection, but if I'm looking to get something to fill in a gap I can usually find a decent game, and now you can't get any additional discount on them.  Just not feeling them this year, which is really unusual for me...guess we'll see what happens when more big ads are released...

Kohls...

Haier 49" 4K Ultra HDTV $249.99

7-Foot Pre-Lit Slim Christmas Tree $79.99

The Big One Bath Towels $2.99

Keurig 72-Count K-Cups $24.99

Garmin Nuvi 58LM 5-Inch GPS with Lifetime Map Updates $89.99

Celestron 114AZ Telescope $79.99

+ Kohls Cash

Does kohls just reuse the same ads every year? That's what a lady at work asked me when I sent her the bf link to this site.

So far I'm pretty under whelmed. Retailers need to realize that with going back to old school of Black Friday on Black Friday they need to bring it with their sales and deals because people will need something to camp out for. Seems like the usual things for the expected prices so far. Hopefully some store has some crazy deals that gets put some of the retailers on their toes to compete. It'll probably be Walmart with some more of their great one hour deals.

I'm in the market for a new gas dryer, good blender, and blurays. Still holding out for the good ads so Amazon will price match when they finally have their real sales the week of thanksgiving.

Edited by hoits2000

I agree with you, Khobbs1. Black Friday used to be a day, I thought, that you could find some very good deals...lots of variety & great prices. The last couple years, though, have been, what seems to me, basically the same ads at discounted, but not great prices.

"Is it just me or do the ads suck this year?"

I've been saying that for years!

While there may good deals on tvs, usually there are, I don't need any.  

I would like to replace a broken PS4, and I'm disappointed that going BF price is $249 - that's been the price for the past few years.  But Kohls has the KC which makes it a decent deal, but I don't shop at Kohls a lot, so not too excited about it.

So far, my enthusiasm with regards to the ads is on par with going to the dentist.  

Black Friday is when I can stock up on DVD's and vide games really cheap. Other items on my list are a hit or miss but I also check weekly sales in the month leading up to BF. Sometimes I find a better deal during those sales and sometimes I find a better deal on BF. In all the years I have shopped BF I never got all my deals on BF.

• Like 1

I am with you on the Kohls thing... I cant convince my DD that she needs a new comforter.... I love the sales on BF on these, but maybe not this year!  BUT I was intrigued by the cast iron dutch oven that was a good price and free shipping- that was until I looked at the Sunday Target ad this week and they have the same price....

The new CHI that I was is the exact same price in this weeks ad as in the BF ad for Ulta.  No need to wait now!   Just going to show you that the retailers are starting early!

I will say that the general attitude towards anything that even resembles a coupon on Black Friday turns shoppers off. It does not matter whether it is Khol's cash or CVS extra bucks. When the consumer is forced to lay down more money up front, even if the delayed return is good, does not end up being a good strategy for a store. When stores finally "get it" that consumers want to spread their money around and experience more of Black Friday with fewer greenbacks, then and only then will the consumer feel that they have indeed been appreciated.

• Like 4

I will say that the general attitude towards anything that even resembles a coupon on Black Friday turns shoppers off. It does not matter whether it is Khol's cash or CVS extra bucks. When the consumer is forced to lay down more money up front, even if the delayed return is good, does not end up being a good strategy for a store. When stores finally "get it" that consumers want to spread their money around and experience more of Black Friday with fewer greenbacks, then and only then will the consumer feel that they have indeed been appreciated.

This is exactly how I feel especially this year since I am on a tighter budget come this BF...mailing in rebates and waiting for weeks for the return is not ideal for me...

Sent from my SM-G930V using GottaDeal mobile app

• Like 2

I'm a regular CVS shopper so I'm always rolling EB's however, I am not a fan of any mail in rebates or Kohl's cash. I hardly ever shop at Kohl's outside of discount bath towels on BF. And who has time around the holidays for mail in rebates? Given the choice, I will generally choose the store that requires less up front.

• Like 1

I dunno. I'm a sucker for Kohl's cash. There have been a few things where I could buy them now with the 30% off coupon and they'd be about the same price as BF. It's the $15 in Kohl's cash that always holds me back. I usually go back and buy more Christmas decorations or pieces for our village. One year we used it to buy boots for charity. It's free money! :-)

• Like 2

I haven't shopped at Kohls for some time.  They have added a lot of exclusions and fine print and it's just not worth the effort.  We will shop the markdowns when we get a 30/40% off coupon in the mail, but I will not be in line on BF.

"If Joan of Arc could turn the tide of an entire war before her eighteenth birthday, you can get out of bed." ~ E. Jean Carroll

Love your sig!

I feel like we are just seeing the same things year after year. A person only need so many electronics or gadgets and if they last for several years then no need to buy a new one. I, too, have yet to get excited about any ad. We are even thinking about going out after the mad rush to look around but enjoying our dinner first. I have hated the early start times since they began and now with finding sales before Black Friday/Thursday it is beginning to seem much ado about nothing.

I think the Black Friday ads are not as good as usual. A lot of the same things have been on sale at that price already. Amazon had lower prices and better deals in October than they have had since the countdown to black friday started. A lot of the better deals seem to be missing this year. At least I haven't noticed many rebates. I try to avoid those.

I haven't shopped at Kohls for some time.  They have added a lot of exclusions and fine print and it's just not worth the effort.  We will shop the markdowns when we get a 30/40% off coupon in the mail, but I will not be in line on BF.

Love your sig!

Aww thanks! Words to live by! :-)

Retailers aren't in the business to give you good deals - they're in the business to make money.  Back when I first started hitting the BF sales (mid-1990's), they had to offer great deals to draw the crowds early on a cold morning the day after thanksgiving.  Now, people camp out for mediocre deals, so where's the incentive to give bigger discounts?  Of course the deals have gotten worse - retailers don't need to offer great deals anymore, because people will show up anyways.  

• Like 2