Lost that loving feeling for Black Friday

lilac100

I actually think one of the things I've loved the past few years is trying to get some of the great deals on Christmas Decorations, we have bought almost all new LED lights, we have picked up a couple of the really expensive air blown decorations for the yard (got one that was normally $160 last year for $60). It's been fun stalking and hunting down the deals at those stores. Got a lot of good stuff from Home Depot, I use order online and pick up in store for the things it will let me do that and we visit the stores for things it won't. Has made replacing a lot of our older stuff much more reasonably priced.

I'm in the same boat!!  We got all new LED outdoor lights 2 years ago, and a whole family of airblown Christmas minions for the front yard last year...and despite the tundra conditions, they thrived and were up standing every day; and not a one of them was flying up in the air like they were parasailing in the 30 mph winds.

• Like 1

Same here.  It is different and since we wanted to keep the tradition, we have adapted.

We were never a camp out crew, but we would be out and about by 4-5 each year.  Now, we go out about 5 or 6 (easier for my mom as she gets older) but I have usually done a lot online before then for most of the major retailers.  We still make the Kohl's stop and Old Navy, etc.  But now we make sure we stop at BB&B to get the 20% off everything, Bath & Body works for the bag of goodies, Yankee Candle for another bag of goodies, Hallmark for ornaments and PetSmart for the fur babies.  These are now our usual stops and they still are fun and help with the Christmas spirit.  

I can honestly say we haven't gone to a mall on Black Friday for close to a decade!  

Same here.  It is different and since we wanted to keep the tradition, we have adapted.

We were never a camp out crew, but we would be out and about by 4-5 each year.  Now, we go out about 5 or 6 (easier for my mom as she gets older) but I have usually done a lot online before then for most of the major retailers.  We still make the Kohl's stop and Old Navy, etc.  But now we make sure we stop at BB&B to get the 20% off everything, Bath & Body works for the bag of goodies, Yankee Candle for another bag of goodies, Hallmark for ornaments and PetSmart for the fur babies.  These are now our usual stops and they still are fun and help with the Christmas spirit.  

I can honestly say we haven't gone to a mall on Black Friday for close to a decade!  

You have B&BW, Yankee Candle and Hallmark not in a mall??

So many things are digital now that you can't grab a bunch of videos/dvds or cds anymore.  Everything is streamed or available online or through some kind of TV media. You can't even buy a favorite movie easily anymore.

Cheaper digital items used to be cute stocking stuffers but now they are junk.  No one wants a photo frame when all photos are digital now.  My kids don't ever print up a photo.

I think when people just want specific things and those things cost a lot, it takes the fun out of shopping.  My son (age 23) told me he wants a Northface or Columbia winter coat.  I told him he has a winter coat and he told me that he doesn't wear that brand.  He'll buy it for himself if I don't but the point is, many of us can't just grab a good deal anymore and hope the recipient will love it.

It hasn't been the same for me pretty much since it is no longer "Friday".   I used to love the 4am openings and spending all day shopping.  Once they started moving towards to midnight openings I struggled with being able to stay awake to shop after a busy holiday.  It started feeling like a task and was no longer "fun".  We did go last year to just a few stores from 8-11pm and that wasn't half bad but nothing like that rush of being in line before opening.

I cant say that I've lost that loving feeling for BF exactly, I'm just lost how to celebrate it this year.  We wont be having Thanksgiving in small town America for the first time as my grandparents both passed and we sold the house.  Instead I'll be spending BF in the larger city where I live for the first time.  Another first is that my half of the family is not doing presents and my husband's half only wants gift cards.  I had planned to take the advise of other GD members to put my shopping skills to good use for a charity, but a child of a coworker of mine got a very bad medical diagnosis so I donated my remaining vacation time to her instead of cashing it in to pay for Christmas charity/shopping/gifting.  It seems silly to go out on BF if I'm not going to buy anything but BF is a tradition that I share with my Dad.  I'm sure my dad and I will eventually come up with something to adapt to all this, it's just a little sad and almost like the end of an era for us.

I still enjoy BF, but it's totally different now than it used to be. When my kids were younger I would always be on the hunt for the hot new toys for them and also be looking for gifts for in-laws, parents, etc. Now that there are so many of us we only buy for the kids. My kids are teens and quite frankly, we adults are all more "established" and don't need the household stuff like we used to (I don't need new bath towels every year!). Now I don't have to run from store to store because there are usually only a few items that I want to get.

One good thing is that now I can help out friends who want multiple items but can't get around to all the stores. I also get great enjoyment from shopping for angel tree kids, because I know that I am providing them with much more than I would be able to if I shopped at a different time. Getting good deals is a rush, but for me it never gets old, because there is also this joy from being part of the buzz/energy/excitement. Heck, the year I had surgery and didn't think it was safe to shop I still couldn't stay away. I parked myself at a table at Starbucks and people watched for a couple of hours, lol.

• Like 2

I still love Black Friday/Thursday. If not working, I'm in small town America for the holiday weekend so my mother and I make our annual BF trip to Walmart then back home. Long gone are the days we need to hit several stores for different electronics. If we do, we go to the nearest big city on Friday. We actually are quite happy to have Walmart be our only stop for BF shopping. I think we've adapted quite well and still have fun while standing in line waiting for the registers to open. There's nothing like a small town Walmart for catching up with all your high school friends and teachers you only see once a year.....BF shopping.

I love Black Friday shopping! I used to go with my daughters to early morning sales. Now everyone is older and living in other states. So it is easier and cheaper to buy some things online and have them shipped directly to the recepient. But there is always something to "find" for friends and relatives living close. I usually manage to hit a few stores even if I'm not looking for a doorbuster deal- I always find something.

I agree, it's just not the same anymore. Black Friday used to be a family girl-bonding thing. It was the only day of the year that my sisters, mom and I could all get away from husbands and kids and just hang out and shop! Now my kids are all teenagers and want boring stuff, the stores are opening earlier and earlier, my mom gets tired quicker these days, and my sisters usually have to work. Oh well, nothing lasts forever I guess. Since I do half of my shopping online now anyway, I am thinking of throwing a laptop party on Wednesday night/ Thursday morning when I know everyone is off work. We can drink wine in our jammies and shop online, all together like we used to.

That sounds like fun! Edited by Dyva247

I hear ya!  I am usually done shopping before Thanksgiving but still loved the buzz and fun of Black Friday.  I loved knowing I got a deal but could also walk away because I didn't have to absolutely have it. For a long time, I went with my mom and then by myself while my husband and son slept.  The past few years, my husband has gone with me. 

It just doesn't have the same thrill that it did before.  Sleep is more exciting.  But every year I say I am not going and every year I end up at the mall :-)  It's tradition...like putting up the tree.

We still go out but I agree it's not as thrilling as it once was. Sales are not as great and we do pretty well with year round sales and clearance. It doesn't help that I've been so hectic around Bf the last few years either, no time to plan as in depth as we used to

I love Black Thursday/Friday shopping!!  I have already started my shopping. We are already shopping and going to lunch and just enjoying the upcoming holiday (yes I know it is only going to be Nov 1st .. lol )  We have always had stores in my area that are open Thanksgiving so we are used to that.  I also have family that work retail, nurse, hotel desk clerk and doctor who work holidays so we try to have dinner early so we can spend time together. Yes for the shoppers we have always been happy to work around the schedule for those that had to go to work.

Everyone needs to find what works for them. 

• Like 2

The fun for me seemed a little lost - mostly because like many, my kids are getting older and I don't need to be in Toys R Us shopping for that hot toy anymore. However, last year I took my daughter out on Friday morning and we went out Black Friday shopping and she absolutely LOVED it. She is already talking about going again and I have to admit, her enthusiasm is super contagious and it is making me excited again to do something fun together.  She is 11 (almost 12) and since a lot of big stores open on Thanksgiving - when we go out on Friday morning the crowds are small and manageable and we have a lot of fun together. 

I agree with Len - starting a new tradition and making it fun is pretty awesome!  Now I just need to make sure my daughter earns some money doing chores so she doesn't spend all mine, lol.

• Like 4

I think the thrill of stores opening and it being early on Friday made it special.  It also I think helped eliminate too many young kids and any problems or screaming that result as of that.  I'm not against kids.  Also I think too many stores put everything online, so there is little motivation to shop in the stores.

I started Black Friday shopping back when I was in the Army in the mid-90's. Every year the PX would open Toyland early on a Saturday morning and I would take my kids to get ideas for Christmas. My first year out of the service (1997) I saw the ads on Thanksgiving day and decided I would get up a little early and hit some of the 5am and 6am openings. Most of the stores had only 20-30 people standing outside when the doors opened, but the deals were phenomenal. I have noticed that over the past 10 years most of the deals on Black Friday are for junk. Lower quality electronics, clothing, tools, etc. The fire I used to have is almost gone. I'll still go out, usually a few hours after the stores have been open to see what's still available. I miss the standing in line at 3am. I miss chatting with people that were similar to yourself. Looking to have some fun & get some great deals. No fights. No shooting or macing each other. Just power shopping.

Edited by crashcartjockey
  • Like 1

So I truly used to love Black Friday.  I had traditions and planned for weeks before hand.  I don't know if it the stores opening on Thanksgiving or maybe my kids getting older but I don't really care anymore.  I can't see leaving my family on Thanksgiving to go and buy stuff.  I remember I would leave the house around midnight and go to Denny's for breakfast with the ads and my sister.  We would decide together what the first store would be.  We would be in line somewhere around 2-3am.  

My favorite memory was going by myself one year and standing in line at Toys R Us for some stupid "lab" that my son wanted that I couldn't afford on a normal day.  I actually got him one and I was so broke and so happy to finally be able to get him something he wanted.  If it hadn't been over half off I wouldn't have been able to get it.

The last time I think I actually enjoyed it was around 7 years ago when Target had CDs for a ridiculous price so I bought like 15 of them.  

It doesn't seem to be about kids stuff or family time anymore.  Its all electronics and opening during family time.  I'm not sure if I will be able to muster up enough caring to even go out this year.

I agree! Black Friday is ruined for me! It's mainly because of the new shopping hours. I miss standing for hours outside the stores waiting for that hot deal with my mom and DH! We had a pretty sweet setup as mom would jump in line while DH and I ran around grabbing everything we needed then took it to her. Afterwards we always went to breakfast. Last year we did go to Walmart Thanksgiving evening then to bass pro which opened at 5 am. I hope they keep their start time at 5 am this year. That'll prob be the only place I go if they do. Everything else will be bought online. Of course I'm sure part of the problem is my DS18 is now grown. As far as I can remember his big gifts have always been electronics. I will never forget standing outside KB Toys for hours to get his first Gameboy Advance SP. We were first in line every year at KB. Not much has changed since then, as he still loves video games, and his computer, but he has everything. This year I am just at a loss to what to even get him........

BTW a BIG thanks to Brad and the Gottadeal crew. Because of this site I get most of my shopping done online. Thanks, guys!

I used to love BF.... My family knew it was my day, lol. I even had other family members give me their lists, which made it an even greater challenge. The last few, I realized that I could get the same deals throughout the year. This year, dd and I will be snuggled up watching "Gilmore Girls" instead of shopping!

I have 1 item on my list that isn't a " must have". The only joy I have gotten shopping this year is purchasing Hatchimals for people with kids that will never be able to get them without paying resellers prices. Nothing against resellers.....I just am getting joy out of helping Santa this year.