Official Black Friday TVs (HDTV & 4K) Discussion Thread

Brad

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-70UH6350-4k-uhd-tv

http://catalog.samsclub.com/lowestprices/app.php?RelId=6.7.0.18.9&xid=hdr:promo:lpos

HDR10 is listed in the first link.

This is the best deal I have found next to the 8000 series from Samsung at best Buy.

$998, down from $1398 is an absolute steal even if it is technically stealing Black Friday's thunder! :singer: 

I haven't laid eyes on this myself, but in researching it, I found some things that concern me.

- Fair amount of complaints of judder and motion blur

- HDR Pro supposedly means HDR10 support, but not Dolby Vision, though LG has been less than clear on this.  Some report that "HDR Super" is LG's designation for TV's that support HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

- I don't see anything mentioning wide color gamut.

- I found a post that seemed to indicate that this screen uses LG's RGBW screen technology, which may actually downgrade the horizontal pixel count from 3840 to 2880.

- I haven't been able to locate anything on LG's website that details the real refresh rate of media at specific resolutions.  This generally means it's 60Hz. 

- I can't find any real reviews on it.

So, while 70 inches is FREAKING HUGE, and $1000 for a 70 inch 4K TV sounds absolutely awesome, I would worry that 1080P material might look worse on this set than it would on a good quality less-than-$1000 70 inch 1080P set.  (Do they even make those anymore?)  Interestingly, as 2880 is a multiple of 720, 720P material might actually look better on this set than most others as the scaling would potentially be a lot cleaner.

I think it's important to remember that this is still very new technology and the newest technology is never the best example of it.  If you buy a 4K TV now, there's a really good chance that the 4K TVs next year will blow this year's models out of the water.

Man, HDTV marketing material just really ticks me off.  I don't know how they're getting away with a lot of this without being sued for misrepresentation.

There are industry standards.  Simply list them by their standardized name and put check boxes next to them to indicate the set supports them.  It's really not that hard.

It's like Chevy advertising that their new Suburban gets 48 MPG(a)!  And you have to spend two hours scouring their website to find no definition of what exactly the (a) stands for.  Email the company questions and not get answers.  Leave messages that don't get returned.  And then 6 moths to a year later, some other resource takes a truck and does some real world testing on it to determine that the (a) is a calculation that artificially increases the real MPG reported on the dash display by simply multiplying it by 4. Real MPG is still just 12.

* for the record, Chevy makes no such claims - I made that all up to make a point

Edited by Pnambic
  • Like 1

So I was not really in the must have mode for a new TV but I'm looking at my old 42" DLP and seeing $400 50" I'm now thinking why the hell not.  I do usually prefer Samsung and my target size is 50" for the room it's going it.  I've seen the Samsung 50KU6300 in several ads, but have looked close enough to see who has it only as doorbuster and who has it online.  

Then I see BB has the LG 50" model 50UH55 in a pre-black Friday sale right now.   The look comparable but I've had good luck with Samsung.

I've read these posts and know 4K is not all it's cracked up to be - and I'm ok with that.  

I'm sitting here wondering if I take the bird in hand LG or roll the dice on the Samsung during an online sale Thanksgiving night.

Thoughts\advice?

Ok, I am a total technological ... idiot?!?!  lol  Can anyone help me. My daughters and I want to buy my husband his own TV for his man cave. We're looking for about a 40 inch-ish  about $300 to $350. He works so hard and we want to do this for him. I have no idea what to look for except to get him a smart tv for Netflix...lol. Can anyone help me?  Thanks so much!

Ok, I am a total technological ... idiot?!?!  lol  Can anyone help me. My daughters and I want to buy my husband his own TV for his man cave. We're looking for about a 40 inch-ish  about $300 to $350. He works so hard and we want to do this for him. I have no idea what to look for except to get him a smart tv for Netflix...lol. Can anyone help me?  Thanks so much!

Sams Club has a smart tv 50" Hitachi for $300 today only. Can order online and ships free. Not a bad tv just to watch. It is a smart TV so Netflix will e no problem

So I was not really in the must have mode for a new TV but I'm looking at my old 42" DLP and seeing $400 50" I'm now thinking why the hell not.  I do usually prefer Samsung and my target size is 50" for the room it's going it.  I've seen the Samsung 50KU6300 in several ads, but have looked close enough to see who has it only as doorbuster and who has it online.  

Then I see BB has the LG 50" model 50UH55 in a pre-black Friday sale right now.   The look comparable but I've had good luck with Samsung.

I've read these posts and know 4K is not all it's cracked up to be - and I'm ok with that.  

I'm sitting here wondering if I take the bird in hand LG or roll the dice on the Samsung during an online sale Thanksgiving night.

Thoughts\advice?

They are fairly close in specs and LG makes a good TV. Someone here bought one of them and said it's great so far.

Just FYI if you plan on watching OTA Tv do not buy a Vizio as they do not have a built in TV tuner, you must buy an adapter in order to watch OTA Tv . I learned the hard way and according to the article I read other companies are opting out of these tuners as well. It is still possible to watch tv with a antenna but you must have an adaptor for it.
  • Like 1

I just convinced my boss about the phillips 55 inch in the Walmart ad for 298.00 for the community room in the elderly building I manage do you think this one is good enough I know it's cheap but we have to go cheap, and then the wall mount for 19.00 have to wall mount it as things tend to grow feet and walk.

If you get a 4K with upscaling (or upconverting), it can improve a regular 1080p video.  This is more noticeable on pure digital content than something on cable (e.g. mp4 or mkv files from a usb port) but it does improve most content.  It eliminate picture noise and does a better job blending the pixels.  Might not be worth it to most on here, but don't believe that there's little to no difference between a 1080p and a 4K if the set does upscaling.  There is.

• Like 1

I missed out on the Sams Club 65" Vizio. Went in store and they was gone and sold out online. They had them on line Sat morning but me being greedy wanted it that day and went to the store and they were sold out, went back home to order it and they was sold out. Now I may have to pay several hundred dollars more for the same TV - Or wait until the super bowl and get it on clearance. 

The television is fantastic! My coworker bought one on the same day. He loves it. We are really putting them through their paces right now. 4K content is stunning.

The 65 inch Samsung 1080p is relegated to the Bunker. If you catch the webcast, you can see it in the background. Now to buy another XBone.

• Like 1

The television is fantastic! My coworker bought one on the same day. He loves it. We are really putting them through their paces right now. 4K content is stunning.

The 65 inch Samsung 1080p is relegated to the Bunker. If you catch the webcast, you can see it in the background. Now to buy another XBone.

Dont rub it in. I am so hurt I did not get it :bigcry: . But that just makes me more hungry for the black Friday deal :holiday10

I just convinced my boss about the phillips 55 inch in the Walmart ad for 298.00 for the community room in the elderly building I manage do you think this one is good enough I know it's cheap but we have to go cheap, and then the wall mount for 19.00 have to wall mount it as things tend to grow feet and walk.

opinions on this please ??????

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the current price of the Samsung 65 inch 8000 series model at Best Buy for $1499 is a decent price on this particular model? This is the one hubby wants but I am not sure if the price has changed any since we just started looking. I guess my question would be is this a good price to purchase this model right now? I don't see it on sale on any black Friday ads. Thanks.

Not sure it helps you much, but Amazon has the 65" Samsung 8000 series for about the same price as BB right now.

Honestly, I haven't been looking at TVs quite that large myself, as I have no good place to put a screen that size in my apartment.

ETA: Maybe only advantage of BB over Amazon would be reward points if you are a My Best Buy Rewards member.

Edited by wittenlover