When/why did you start BF shopping? Why do you still go now?

budgetsRsexy

I am curious as to when other members first started BF shopping and what their reasons for it were then, as well as what your reasons are for it now.  I'm a new forum member, though I have browsed them as a guest in the past, and I felt this would be a really interesting way to learn more about other members.  

My story is: I first went BF shopping probably back in 2000.  I told my family that I was a college student and was just trying to make my dollar go further, but honestly it had more to do with the fact that my thanksgivings were spent at my grandparent's tiny, 1 bathroom house.  I had to sleep (and I use the term loosely) on the living room floor as it was the only space available, and as the youngest member of the family I couldn't complain that my back would get ruined.  The problem was that there are lots of people in the house well advanced in years and they all get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, which you had to access by going through the living room. Without fail every single one of them would forget I was trying to sleep on the floor and would turn on the light.  I ended up deciding that if I was going to be awake I might as well be productive AND get a good deal so I started going out shopping.  My first year I was unprepared, no game plan, no list and no snacks, but I had a blast!  I was hooked and have never looked back.

As time has gone on I have started being an "elf" for my out of town sister and my mom who hates to shop.  They give me their lists and budgets and I would go to town being their personal shopping assistant.  Over time my dad (who is a light sleeper woke up every time the toilet would flush with the plumbing being on the same wall as his bed) joined me.  He was always skeptical and called people savages from what he saw on the news, but that first year (2005) he came home and he was so proud of all the shopping that he got done for my mom (and at great prices) that he has been my shopping buddy ever since :)

What's your story?

• Like 5

That may be my favorite "Why I started BF shopping" story ever! 

I started in the early 90s, when my oldest was a baby. I had never heard of BF, but heard about some awesome sale at Toys R US or Kay B Toys (I don't remember which). I was amazed at the deals, and the people, and just really excited about starting the Christmas season with a bang like that. The next year I told my sister "You have GOT to check this out!", and we've been BF shopping ever since.   I have said, and I still stand by, if I was starting now I wouldn't do it. Due to the sale times, It's not as fun, the people aren't as friendly, it doesn't have the same feel. BUT, it's our thing and I'm not giving it up.

When I was a Senior in college, a group I was involved with adopted a large family for Christmas presents and I was in charge of the shopping. I had to work that morning, so I got up super early and hit Toys R Us and got the whole family done. I was so pumped! After that year, I made it my business to get up early and get all the good deals. :-)

I started shopping Black Friday before it was called Black Friday.  My mother did most of her Christmas shopping the weekend after Thanksgiving and I went with her when I got old enough not to become jaded.

I worked Thanksgiving at a department store.  We were getting ready for Friday, but the manager decided to keep a register and the doors open.  That was in 1983 or 1984.  I have never camped out, but, as someone who is a very early riser, I have often hit a secondary store an hour or two before opening.  I group of us used to meet at Staples to 'stock up' then hit Big Lots next store then Radio Shack.  One year I waited for Kohls.  Last few years, I have done most of my shopping online.  

I started BF shopping with my mom and older sister 9 years ago. The only reason we went was for the cheap pjs at WM! My sister had a toddler and not much money so we went to try to stretch her money and have been hooked ever since. I miss the early years, people were nicer and it wasn't as crazy! We took my sister's DD until she was almost 3, my sister had to be at work at 6am to open the store she worked at. My niece slept on the pile of coats in our carts while we shopped all night and into the morning. Its changed a lot but I'm still going out and shopping til I drop. Or til I have to go to work on BF chasing 2yo at the preschool I work at.

I LOVE reading all these great stories! Looks like more and more of our GottaDeal Family is rolling in! :)

I started back in the 80's when my oldest kids were little - not sure if it was "Referred" to as Black Friday back then or not - but the deals were AWESOME and I loved the freebies from Cracker Jacks (that might have gift cards in them) to the snow globes. Now I do almost all of my shopping online (something that wasn't even a possibility back then!)  Finding this site has not only saved me a ton on Black Friday - but all through the year, and the people on here are always so sweet and helpful. :)

I forgot what year it was, but it was between 1999 and 2001 and I had never heard of BF before. DVD players were still pretty new and I saw a good deal on one at Circuit City. I decided to get there when the store opened and grab one. My uncle asked if I could pick up a computer on sale. Thankfully, I lived in an area that was just starting to have communities built and the big box stores were just opening, otherwise I would have had no chance. I did get all that I needed (even the cheap computer!) and really had no clue how lucky I was. My husband and I were wondering out loud why everyone was out and about so early. 

I don't do a lot of BF shopping anymore. I got hurt the last few times I went out and things were just getting crazier.  I will do most of it online and wait until after the crowds for a few little things if I have to go out. I started to notice that a lot of what I wanted to buy was cheaper before BF, especially Macy's last year. My interest has been waning the last few years and last year got me so frustrated that I just stopped shopping. But it doesn't seem like Christmas for me until the ads get leaked!

I started BF shopping when my now adult children were smaller. We needed to stretch the budget, in order to make sure all 5 had things under the tree. Back then I was out by myself. As my family got older they got involved with me and grew to love shopping the deals that day. I still have number 6 at home and we go out shopping together now. It has changed so much over the last few years. I now do a majority of my shopping online but I still go out with my DD  and my other adult children are usually out there too.  My oldest DD and I still remember being in line at KBToys for the great Fisher Price deals for her little sister.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their stories so far!  It has been really nice to read and learn about you all.  Like many of you I find that it has changed so much over the years, and not always for the better in my honest opinion.  No matter what may come in future years I will keep participating though as it is a cherished tradition that I share with my dad :)

I hope the stories keep rolling in!

Thank you to everyone who has shared their stories so far!  It has been really nice to read and learn about you all.  Like many of you I find that it has changed so much over the years, and not always for the better in my honest opinion.  No matter what may come in future years I will keep participating though as it is a cherished tradition that I share with my dad :)

I hope the stories keep rolling in!

I just saw your screen name and I think we should be BFFs! I do corporate budgets and planning for a living! :-)

• Like 1

It started for me about 18 years ago. My niece was just born and my brother and I always tried to out do each other when it came to gifts. Since this was our only niece and only child in the family at that time it was a big deal watching her open her gifts. (I only remebered this story when someone posted KB Toys) My budget was tight as I was still in school, but they had this Minnie Mouse ride on car for like $35 and I knew she would love it. So I went and sat in line to make sure I got it at that price because normally it was over $100 back then and I have not stopped since. I think it had more to do with the smile on her face when she opened it that keeps pushing me every year which has transcended to my children. I love seeing them get something they really wanted that I otherwise could not have afforded. So as I prepare my war paint and game plan for this year I always look at the CHRISTmas pictures from years before and get pumped up for the current deals I am about to get. GO GOTTADEAL!!!!!

• Like 2

I think I started in 2006.. maybe 2007? I started because my mom and I wanted to go so we did and OMG we loved it!!!

I miss how it was before but I still go because I cant help myself LOL

ETA: Ok, 2005. If I was here in 2005 then that's the year I started. I've missed one year because I got the stomach bug on Thanksgiving but I drug dh and dd out that afternoon to Walmart to see what was left because I was feeling better. :)

Edited by julz0420

I started shopping Black Friday sales in 1999. We had just bought our first home and money was tight and wanted to make our money stretch as far as possible. Those first couple years I shopped the local stores and would be done in a few hours, of course this was before we had kids LOL. For the several years (add in 2 kids LOL) we would leave home at least an hour before the local walmart would open, stop for coffee on the way and just have fun waiting in the lines outside walmart. Its a small town so you know most of the people waiting. After Walmart we would head back to our house to unload and then it was off to the stores out of town. Some years we would be out shopping until early afternoon and other years we would be out until dinner time. Since we had a mini van and was the biggest vehicle out the group we always took our mini van. A few years the van so stuffed bags would fall out as soon as you opened the door. I miss those days.

Now a days my SIL, DH's cousin and I hit the local walmart around 8 pm by then the store is pretty empty so we are able to get in, find most if not all the deals we went looking for and checked right out. Back to our house to unload and then DH comes along as our driver. We stop for more coffee and then head to stores out of town. The last few years we were done shopping and home by 1 - 2 am the latest. I have been finding great deals at some stores during the 2 weeks before leading up to BF and have been doing some shopping on line.

For me BF has always been about finding great deals to make the money stretch as far as possible and for the fun we always have BF shopping.

• 2 weeks later...

I started in 2000. My boyfriend and the time (who is now my husband) suggested we go to get cd's for $1. We woke up early that morning and stood in line. It was a great experience and I've kept with it ever since. He stopped going probably 2 years in, because the "non true" black friday shoppers were now joining and were taking the fun out of things. I've introduced black friday shopping to several friends and family members. Whether I purchase a little or a lot of just enjoy the experience of it all.

I don't remember when I started my shopping but I remember as a child my mother always going out on Friday, in the 80's, well before it was called Black Friday. I eventually got recruited to stand in lines when it became impossible for her to be in more than one line at a time and still get what we wanted/needed. That was probably late 80's/early 90's while in college. So, some 25+ years later we are still going strong with the BF shopping. Tradition dictates our first stop be the local Walmart and sometimes it's our only stop. Although it is definitely not the same as "back in the day" I still have fun at Walmart. Maybe it's something about a small southern town Walmart. I don't know. I've stood in many a Walmart line and have always had a blast. We've never experienced anything bad other than seeing those darned sheet sets fly through the air one year after the display was opened. That was a hoot. Otherwise, we're all a big family while standing in line waiting for our items or to get checked out.

Although it is definitely not the same as "back in the day" I still have fun at Walmart. Maybe it's something about a small southern town Walmart. I don't know. I've stood in many a Walmart line and have always had a blast. We've never experienced anything bad other than seeing those darned sheet sets fly through the air one year after the display was opened. That was a hoot. Otherwise, we're all a big family while standing in line waiting for our items or to get checked out.

Up until this year I have spent all my BFs in the small town where my grandparents lived. With them both passing this year I will be hosting Thanksgiving . I don't live somewhere like NYC or anything but I live in a somewhat large city and I'm a little anxious to see how it will compare. I think people's attitude/spirit is the thing that most concerns me but my fingers are crossed that it's not too different.

Edited by budgetsRsexy

So many of you started BF shopping for the sake of your children.  I have to laugh at myself that the first and original reason I started shopping was not for the benefit of my family, but to get out of the house and away from my family :)  Don't get me wrong I love them, but when lacking sleep they can be a handful and push my buttons.  I'm just glad that over the years I have been able to turn it into a positive thing and help them out with their shopping lists and by making their budget go farther.  I get the thrill of the hunt and they look good on Christmas morning when everyone opens their presents.

Edited by budgetsRsexy
  • Like 2

In the beginning Black Friday was the only way I could afford to really make Christmas magical.  My husband I shopped together and it became our tradition.  Host Thanksgiving, send the kids to stay at grandmas and wake up at 3:00 am to go shopping.  Over the years my budget and the bf hours changed dramatically.  Now I don't need the deals but until recently I still enjoyed the tradition.  As the hours changed the tradition has kind of fallen by the side, and honestly BF isn't the event in my home that it used to be.  My kids are mostly grown and now we buy for ourselves more than for Christmas. 

There were many years where Black Friday shopping was just not practical. You rarely hear about shopping in the 1990's, but for us we started then and consistently started Black Friday shopping on  2001. There were two main destinations back then, and it was Comp USA in Jacksonville for me, and Walmart for the both of us. Comp USA would kick it off at midnight and then i would race back to our smaller town in Macclenny to join my wife at Walmart (the smallest original one) while mema would watch the kid. We kept this up until 2003 when i stumbled into a Best Buy to see what the fuss was all about, which led to a completely new type of Black Friday experience in 2006.

Last night I met up with my parents for dinner and my mom dropped a bombshell in the middle of the conversation.  Apparently we will not be exchanging presents with my half of the family this year!   My dad and I sat there in stunned silence while my mom explained that she and my sister came to the conclusion that the holidays are just getting too stressful.  They would rather focus on spending time together and on our other family traditions and cut back on the "unnecessary extras" as mom put it.  I mean I guess in some ways it makes sense (no one has kids), but my dad nailed it on the head when he turned to me and said "but what about Black Friday?!"  My dad has been my shopping buddy for 10 years now and we love the time together; you could even say that our BF shopping trips ARE a tradition, but now we don't really have a reason to go :(  My DH's family only ever wants gift cards so I'm kind of sad and at a loss of what to do this year.

Last night I met up with my parents for dinner and my mom dropped a bombshell in the middle of the conversation.  Apparently we will not be exchanging presents with my half of the family this year!   My dad and I sat there in stunned silence while my mom explained that she and my sister came to the conclusion that the holidays are just getting too stressful.  They would rather focus on spending time together and on our other family traditions and cut back on the "unnecessary extras" as mom put it.  I mean I guess in some ways it makes sense (no one has kids), but my dad nailed it on the head when he turned to me and said "but what about Black Friday?!"  My dad has been my shopping buddy for 10 years now and we love the time together; you could even say that our BF shopping trips ARE a tradition, but now we don't really have a reason to go :(  My DH's family only ever wants gift cards so I'm kind of sad and at a loss of what to do this year.

If there is a local organization you like to support you could find out what their needs are and shop for them and donate.  Or adopt a family or child from an Angel Tree or similar program.  Or shop for yourselves!

• Like 3

Several years ago my oldest daughter had a pink Nintendo DSi at the top of her Christmas list. I didn't want to let her down, but I also knew we couldn't afford one out right. Other women on a parenting forum I was a part of were talking about planning to pick up DSis on Black Friday. My husband had to work, so I made plans with my mother in law.  We headed out the next morning and I was able to snag a pink DSi with minimal hassle.  I'm not sure who was more excited that year.. Me for grabbing that stinking DS or my daughter when she opened it on Christmas. lol 

• Like 1

Well my family started to be like that but my wife and I decided we don't buy people gifts so that we get something in return, we buy them because we want to give them something from us. So we still shop for the people. It's part of the tradition so we march on. You should all at least have a Dirty Santa Gift Exchange. We did that one year (wife and I still bought presents for some people).

Several years ago my oldest daughter had a pink Nintendo DSi at the top of her Christmas list. I didn't want to let her down, but I also knew we couldn't afford one out right. Other women on a parenting forum I was a part of were talking about planning to pick up DSis on Black Friday. My husband had to work, so I made plans with my mother in law.  We headed out the next morning and I was able to snag a pink DSi with minimal hassle.  I'm not sure who was more excited that year.. Me for grabbing that stinking DS or my daughter when she opened it on Christmas. lol 

Nothing quite like the look on their faces when they open something they have really really wanted. Sort of makes it all worth it.

I've been involved with Black Friday since 1998, as I was working p/t for Boscov's as holiday help.  From 99-05, I worked for EB Games and made it a point to open the store due to the fact that I would always drop my wife off at Toys R US, KB toys, or Walmart to meet her mom and brother.  As of 2006, I've made it to openings of Best Buy, Kohl's, Premium Outlets, or Target.

Well my family started to be like that but my wife and I decided we don't buy people gifts so that we get something in return, we buy them because we want to give them something from us. So we still shop for the people. It's part of the tradition so we march on.

I agree, one should definitely not buy presents with the expectation of receiving one, but I know my family and they will only feel guilty if I keep buying when they don't. I'd rather skip presents than make them feel bad. I'll probably concede to my moms wish that we focus on other family traditions and keep things memorable but simpler.

I think I'm going to talk to my husband about what he would like to see done with the newly created extra room in the budget. I really liked the idea of putting my shopping skills towards benefitting a charity like suggested by HomeinKS. We already do some charitable giving but maybe we can add some new charities to the mix that require me going shopping and not just cash contributions :)

• Like 3

I agree, one should definitely not buy presents with the expectation of receiving one, but I know my family and they will only feel guilty if I keep buying when they don't. I'd rather skip presents than make them feel bad. I'll probably concede to my moms wish that we focus on other family traditions and keep things memorable but simpler.

I think I'm going to talk to my husband about what he would like to see done with the newly created extra room in the budget. I really liked the idea of putting my shopping skills towards benefitting a charity like suggested by HomeinKS. We already do some charitable giving but maybe we can add some new charities to the mix that require me going shopping and not just cash contributions :)

Nursing homes are one place to consider. I also like doing the angel tree and or asking our local Social Service for  a family who has requested help. I am sure you'll find a great way to use your shopping skills!!

• Like 2

I started in 2005. I had just moved to a new house and needed a new TV. Waited in line at Circuit City for 4 hours in subzero temperatures with occasional snow. I was easily after 30th in line; still got my TV and use it on a semi-regular basis still today.

Since then, it's been about the fun of prepping, finding things I'd likely buy anyway at a highly discounted price, planning out when/where to go, and getting all those deals. Half of the shopping is for myself, but it's still getting great deals. It's also fun to meet some new people while you're out and about.

Lately, it's turned into more online and less in stores. It's not nearly the same.

Sent from my SM-G930V using GottaDeal mobile app