Official Black Friday VIDEO GAMES Discussion Thread

Brad

I don't always think it's the content of the game but how the people playing the game tend to act and talk. I refuse to have chat on while I play most online games because I don't want to hear a bunch of 10 year old's talk in a manner that would make even the most haggard sailor blush. JUST MY OPINION

• Like 1

I need some opinions, please! My 11-year-old son asked for a PS4 for xmas but his list of games is short. He wants Minecraft, Terraria, and Destiny. And then he has "other games" I think because he really doesn't know what's out there, and neither do I! I've been looking online but it's hard to know which games are really fun and which ones are just so-so because a lot have mixed reviews. I'd like to get a few more games for him besides those ones. Can anyone suggest some great PS4 titles, please? My only rules are no boobs, sex stuff, or excessive swearing. He has a little brother who's always attached to him. I preordered Trackmania Turbo, that sounds fun. Skylanders Superchargers is another one I'm getting but for the Wii U so the kids can share it in the Family Room, the PS4 will be in my son's bedroom. Help! Thanks, everyone.

The Lego games are always fun. Did he have a ps3? Has he played the uncharted games on the ps3? If not, then the uncharted collection on ps4 would be great for him. Battlefront comes out in less than two weeks. It's a star wars game, so everyone loves that. There's a racing game called drive club that he may like if he's into racing games. And you could always give him a psn gift card and he can choose games to download.

My son had originally wanted an Xbox One, then said a PS4, but then I pointed out one very important factor to him.

All his friends play on Xbox, except 2. If he were to get the PS4, he'd lose that social interaction (which is very important to him - these are all boys that grew up together in baseball and elementary school, but due to wonky districting in our town they all go to different middle schools). So even though the PS4 has more appeal (mainly the Taken King special edition), he's going to stick with the network where he can find his friends.

(He's almost 13.)

And as a side note, Xbox Live goes down far less than PSN.

I agree, friends is a big factor when playing on consoles. But there is a caveat that people should take into account. Just because people played one console before, doesn't mean that's the next one they'll move to. For instance, if your son and his friends played 360, his friends may get the ps4 next, or maybe they have already. Then your son will get the Xbox one, but his friends have moved to the ps4. This happens a lot, and a couple of websites have shown surveys that many former Xbox 360 players have switched to the ps4.

Halo is a great game, but it is exclusive to Xbox.

If you're going to buy your son a PS4, I suggest buying him a Play Station Plus card. They're around $50 for a year, but at this time, they run sales so be on the lookout. They give you free games to download monthly, some of them are popular titles. He can also play online with his friends.

It's well worth the $$$, and he may get more out of it than taking a chance at a $50 game.

Just a suggestion, jakesmommy403!

Thank you, we are definitely doing that! I plan on getting the card and taping it to the PS4 box before I wrap it. Then my husband can get to work setting up everyone's game systems and connecting to the internet! That his christmas job. Lol. This year it's a Wii U and the PS4.

Ok, so that Trackmania Turbo game got its release date moved to next year, so that's out. I think I'm just gonna stick with the 3 games on his list (Minecraft, Terraria, Destiny) plus that new Star Wars Battlefront game, get the other 3DS titles he wants, and then once he gets used to his PS4 and has a good idea of the types of games he likes we can go from there for his bday or whatever.

Our other little guy is finally getting the Wii U he's been dreaming about, and for that: Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bro's, Yoshi's Wooly World, Kirby Rainbow Curse, and he wants Splatoon but I'm on the fence with that one, I don't think it'll get played since he'll have all these new Mario games. Might wait and make that a bday game.

The Lego games are always fun. Did he have a ps3? Has he played the uncharted games on the ps3? If not, then the uncharted collection on ps4 would be great for him. Battlefront comes out in less than two weeks. It's a star wars game, so everyone loves that. There's a racing game called drive club that he may like if he's into racing games. And you could always give him a psn gift card and he can choose games to download.

Thank you! That Star Wars game will be perfect! And I'm going to go check out Drive Club right now. I really wanted a racing game for him! Thanks!

Thank you, we are definitely doing that! I plan on getting the card and taping it to the PS4 box before I wrap it. Then my husband can get to work setting up everyone's game systems and connecting to the internet! That his christmas job. Lol. This year it's a Wii U and the PS4.

Ok, so that Trackmania Turbo game got its release date moved to next year, so that's out. I think I'm just gonna stick with the 3 games on his list (Minecraft, Terraria, Destiny) plus that new Star Wars Battlefront game, get the other 3DS titles he wants, and then once he gets used to his PS4 and has a good idea of the types of games he likes we can go from there for his bday or whatever.

Our other little guy is finally getting the Wii U he's been dreaming about, and for that: Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bro's, Yoshi's Wooly World, Kirby Rainbow Curse, and he wants Splatoon but I'm on the fence with that one, I don't think it'll get played since he'll have all these new Mario games. Might wait and make that a bday game.

I bought the Splatoon game for my DD when it came out, Target had that great deal reserve any game for $1 get 25% off a game. I had gave her the game as a gift for good grades.

She loves it she has played it more than any other game since, bought the new Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars and Splatoon still gets played the most she plays hours of it on the weekened when she is allowed, we are even going to try to get a new TV this year just to move the game system to so she can play more often than when we allow here to use the TV to play, but the game is fun, I sit here all the time when she plays and get a kick out of it. The game does require the internet connection as that is the only way they can play. every couple of weeks they have what they call Splat Fest, it is constantly being updated with new content to be enjoyed

Nope - you are not coming across as a jerk at all. Like I said - I was the last holdout of all his friends in getting COD. (He's 12, 7th grade).

I actually find there is a real gap in pre-teen appropriate games. There's younger child, and then lots of FPS games, but not much in-between. Half the time the Xbox winds up in my bedroom so I get to listen in on the boys when they are playing. They have very strict rules that they all follow set down by one of the other moms - and they never complain about following them! They are not allowed to call each other by their real names (so all you hear is "Vamp!" and "EMan!" and "CoolNinja" half the time), and if someone is in their party they have not actually met, they are not allowed to be on chat at all. I think it's great, because it's also fostered a lot of sleepovers/non-gaming get togethers with the boys so they can meet each other. (I mentioned before, our districting is weird here, they are constantly switching schools from elementary to middle to high (and getting ready to close 5 schools in the county) but the kids all get to know each other through sports and "friends of friends".)

He is REALLY looking forward to Star Wars Battlefront. It's on his must-have list. He played the beta a few weeks ago a loved it. He kind of wants Lego Dimensions - but still feels burned over the whole Skylanders thing. Plus knows I will probably play it more than him, but I just want the Doctor Who add-on. :D

Indie games seem to do a pretty good job at filling that gap, I think, but are often overlooked as they're not hyped AAA releases sold in stores. Some of our favorites on Xbox One have been Child of Light, So Many Me, Plague Inc Evolved, Happy Wars, and The Deer God.  All except Plague Inc have been (or are still) free, to boot.  

ETA that sports and racing games are always an option, too. And if you have a sports game fan than a year's worth of EA Access for $30 is way more than worth the price.

Edited by Spotted1

It is not right now but it will be.

Be careful with this - Microsoft has been VERY misleading with this feature/option. All the games have to be programmed to be backwards compatible. It's not a "flip a switch" and they all work. My ex-husband has actually been one of the volunteer coders working on the project. 

Here's an article on the latest list of titles that should work. Please note there are not any LEGO titles on there. :(

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-full-list-xbox-360-games-leaked-1527479

Xbox One 500GB Console (Certified Refurbished) - $279.99

45% claimed

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00U1WN17G/ref=gbps_tit_s-3_0822_3f145a8e?smid=A1KWJVS57NX03I&pf_rd_p=2245060822&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QW3T8VD6E5TMQFGD5FA

I'm not an advocate for refurbished game console, but for someone on a budget, this might be an option.

• This Certified Refurbished product is factory refurbished, shows limited or no wear, and includes all original accessories plus a 90-day warranty
  • This item includes the Xbox One console, 1 wireless controller, a chat headset, HDMI cable, and power supply . For more troubleshooting steps please check the manufacturer's webiste

Edit: Lightning Deal Sold Out; Price now: $299.95

Edited by bribri25

Be careful with this - Microsoft has been VERY misleading with this feature/option. All the games have to be programmed to be backwards compatible. It's not a "flip a switch" and they all work. My ex-husband has actually been one of the volunteer coders working on the project. 

Here's an article on the latest list of titles that should work. Please note there are not any LEGO titles on there. :(

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-full-list-xbox-360-games-leaked-1527479

some of the games are backwards compatible now for the xbox one i think only 30 so far but they say more to come

104 titles to start with at launch on the 12th of November with more being added over time. Nothing has been misleading regarding backward compatibility. They've been very clear that there's limited titles to start with and more added monthly. All future games released for free for Xbox 360s via the Games with Gold program will be backward comptabile.. Opening up 4 games for free a month to Xbox One owner with XBL subscriptions.

And there -are- LEGO games on the list..

http://majornelson.com/2015/11/09/the-list-of-xbox-one-backward-compatibility-games-is-now-available/

I'm hoping to get one of the Xbox one consoles at target with the $60 gift card. Do yall think this is gonna be a hot item bc of the gift card?

I do think this deal will be quite popular.  I doubt you could see Amazon match that resultant 239.99 price; even without the 5% red card savings.  However, if you can find it for the 239.99, I'd snag that for the fact of not having to get it at Target on BF... Much easier to return/exchange from local retailer, though.

• Like 1

Is a 1TB Xbox one really necessary? We currently have a 320gb Xbox 360, less than 100gb is used. Are the games that much bigger on the One?

It seems like many of the deals are for the 500gb version.

Every game needs to "install" on the hard drive, it fills up quite fast. But you can always hook up an external hard drive to it and unlike the x360 you can save everything there and it will treat it as though it's the internal.

Is a 1TB Xbox one really necessary? We currently have a 320gb Xbox 360, less than 100gb is used. Are the games that much bigger on the One? 

No, not necessary IMO, because ultimately you're going to need to add extra space regardless of whether you start with 500gb or 1tb.  A full retail title can expect to take up 50-60gb of harddrive space. If you plan to have a gold Xbox Live account (and you should!) you'll get an additional 4 free games a month that will be taking up space, as well.  Buy a 500gb console and then add an inexpensive 2-4tb external harddrive via USB3 and call it a day.  

No, not necessary IMO, because ultimately you're going to need to add extra space regardless of whether you start with 500gb or 1tb.  A full retail title can expect to take up 50-60gb of harddrive space. If you plan to have a gold Xbox Live account (and you should!) you'll get an additional 4 free games a month that will be taking up space, as well.  Buy a 500gb console and then add an inexpensive 2-4tb external harddrive via USB3 and call it a day.  

e.g. WD My Book 4TB USB 3.0     $99.99 @ BestBuy on BF

ad scan

item link