netflix or blockbuster for online rental?

kyndig1

They both piss me off. You get a nice turn-around for a while, but after time, they begin to hold movies back.

They are on record of saying, that they lose money if you rent more than like 10 movies a month, so they will hold your movies for a day or two longer to slow your rate down.

I have used both and they both do it. I was averaging like 9 movies a week at first (3 out at a time), but after 2-3 weeks I was getting like 4-5.

If you want to rent like 25-30 movies in a month, I would suggest doing Hollywood Video (don't know if you have one around) MVP program. For $15 a month you can get 3 movies out at a time. The catch is they have to be out for appx. a month or so before you are allowed to get it. I don't mind this because there are tons of movies I could watch that are over a month old, and by the time I have watched most of those the new releases become a part of the program.

If you absolutely want new releases, then I would suggest Blockbusters in store program of 2 out at a time. This one is kind of expensive at $25 a month, but you can get 10 DVDs in one day if you choose to.

The Pros to Netflix or BBusteronline are:

Selection

Availability

Ease of Use

Availability becomes a problem, but sometimes when you want to rent a particular movie from the store, they only have 1 copy and sometimes people never return them.

For example at my Hollywood Video, somebody rented The Godfather I and II and never returned them and the store has no plan to replace them, so I'm SOL.

I am very happy with Netflix and would recommend it. I am a member since November 2001 and I watch 3 DVDs every weekend that is 12 - 15 a month. With a little bit of "queue management" I usually get the latest movie as they are released each Tuesday.

I've used both before, and currently with blockbuster. I like netflix better and will be switching when this month is over. The only reason I think anyone should chose blockbuster is if they like the 2 instore free rentals a month. Otherwise I think netflix is better. I get many more movie errors with blockbuster, and they take forever to send replacements. Also something to consider; Netflix only ships movies mon-fri. Blockbuster ships mon-sat, but for me they're much slower during the week. Phatferd is right though, they hold movies if you rent too much. Although I've never gotten 9 movies a week with blockbuster, but got that a few times with netflix.

I would probably choose Netflix if I had to. I do like how Blockbuster offers the 2 free in store rentals a month.

They used to let you rent movies or games with the 2 free instore coupons, which was really cool. With the no late-fees I could pretty much rent a game for an entire month with the 2 coupons.

Whenever I have had an issue with a bad DVD or a DVD not show up, Blockbuster has been pretty good with it. They send me a free rental coupon via email, so I can just go to my local BB and get it.

I would choose Netflix, however, because they have better selection, less wait time on most movies and their website features are a lot better than BB. I also think they are a day or two faster in delivery time.

If you have the extra cash to spend, I would do the in store deal at Blockbuster or look into Hollywood Videos plan if you have a store close to you.

I am very happy with Netflix and would recommend it. I am a member since November 2001 and I watch 3 DVDs every weekend that is 12 - 15 a month. With a little bit of "queue management" I usually get the latest movie as they are released each Tuesday.

we have been using the queue management and live close to daytona where they send alot of movies from but they are starting to get lax. We have about 8 movies at the top of the queue that have been there for two months that we can never get. I finally went to blockbuster, which I cant stand generally, except for the fact that they just gave me 50 empty dvd cases, and rented 40 year old virgin and wedding crashers.....I am ready to write them and see what the heck is up.....

Has anyone done this

we have been using the queue management and live close to daytona where they send alot of movies from but they are starting to get lax. We have about 8 movies at the top of the queue that have been there for two months that we can never get. I finally went to blockbuster, which I cant stand generally, except for the fact that they just gave me 50 empty dvd cases, and rented 40 year old virgin and wedding crashers.....I am ready to write them and see what the heck is up.....

Has anyone done this

i think it's just that there are a few movies that were huge in the theater that they just cant keep in stock...i usually have to wait for major hits like that for quite a while, but i dont mind bc i have tons of other stuff to see in the meantime

actually a good 60% of my netflix rentals are from tv shows...you can catch up on an entire series in a few weeks

& if *certain* people think their dvds are being purposely withheld, that's just stupid :insane: ...i'm sorry, but i have never experienced this, & there are way too many factors going on for them to keep high-volume renters on some kind of watch list...it all depends on when you get the first ones, when you mail them back, where you mail them from, the speed of your postal service, their speed at the distribution sites, & the speed of the mail delivery back to you

I currently use Blockbuster, and not really pleased with them right now. It takes forever for them to receive the movies after I send them back. And I'm only sending them to either Ft Lauderdale (25 miles) or Miami (40-something miles). During the holidays it took them over two weeks to receive it.

I finally started just reporting a DVD issue 2 days after I mail the movie. They'll send the next one on my list, and then about a week later I'll get the email that they've received my movies.

Thinking about switching back to Netflix.

i think it's just that there are a few movies that were huge in the theater that they just cant keep in stock...i usually have to wait for major hits like that for quite a while, but i dont mind bc i have tons of other stuff to see in the meantime

actually a good 60% of my netflix rentals are from tv shows...you can catch up on an entire series in a few weeks

& if *certain* people think their dvds are being purposely withheld, that's just stupid :insane: ...i'm sorry, but i have never experienced this, & there are way too many factors going on for them to keep high-volume renters on some kind of watch list...it all depends on when you get the first ones, when you mail them back, where you mail them from, the speed of your postal service, their speed at the distribution sites, & the speed of the mail delivery back to you

Link

Link 2

Not trying to pick a fight, but I don't like being referred to as stupid, especially when the person calling me stupid doesn't even know what they're talking about.

Do a little research before you call someone stupid, otherwise, you look like the ignorant one.

I have used both sites, and the blockbuster instore 2 at a time deal. Blockbuster online is really slow, and they don't have as many movies to choose from. Netlix has a lot of movies and they are generally pretty fast. You send the movie one day and they get it the next day and ship your movie out the same day (during the week) and you get it the next day. The best is the instore blockbuster deal, but it's only worth it if you have a blockbuster really close to you. Ours is like 15-20 mins away, so netflix is the best for us. We have the 4 movie at a time plan and it's only about $20 I think.

Not trying to pick a fight, but I don't like being referred to as stupid, especially when the person calling me stupid doesn't even know what they're talking about.

Do a little research before you call someone stupid, otherwise, you look like the ignorant one.

Are you referring to me? Because I actually agree with you on the Netflix throttling.

Contrary to what most people here are saying, I like the BLockbuster online deal. I get plenty of movies, and I really like the 2 per month free instore rentals for the newest releases. I have had a couple of DVD quality issues, and but they usually get resolved quickly.

i didnt say you were stupid, i said thinking that was stupid, because you're giving yourself as a consumer a lot more clout with a major company than you or anyone else would ever have...they're not trying to cheat select individuals out of anything, they're trying to be fair

well we have used Netflix for years. I have never had movies withheld. I mean I get movies back as fast as I send them back. Say I get 3 movies we watch them over weekend, I mail 3 back on monday, they send email saying they recieved the movies and 3 movies will go out the next day. I'll have 3 more on Saturday. Thats my experience. Its all been good. We had one that came cracked and they sent me another one and just told me to send the other back within 30 days. I had one that never came once and they sent me another one. It showed up like 30 days later , lost in the mail I guess. There were a couple star trek dvds that were messed up and froze up alot. I can't really complain I mean things like that are bound to happen. We really like netflix alot.

i didnt say you were stupid, i said thinking that was stupid, because you're giving yourself as a consumer a lot more clout with a major company than you or anyone else would ever have...they're not trying to cheat select individuals out of anything, they're trying to be fair

They are only protecting their bank account. They spin it to make it sound prettier than it is.

If I pay for a service, I expect it to be provided. They say you can rent unlimited DVDs for a price. If I pay the price, I deserve to get as many DVDs as I can without them slowing down the process on purpose.

They have come out on record saying that they hold movies back if people rent too many. I experienced it, which is how I came about the information. I wanted to know why all of a sudden my shipments were slowed down dramatically. I researched and discovered that they throttle their shipments.

They aren't living to their end of the bargain. They say an unlimited amount of DVDs, however, it is limited.

You told me that it's stupid to think they hold movies back and cited that its due to a bunch of factors like post office, wharehouses, etc... That is just not the case. They purposely choose not to put the DVD in the mail for a day or two, to slow down your pace because they are spending more money on shipping then you are paying them.

well we have used Netflix for years. I have never had movies withheld. I mean I get movies back as fast as I send them back. Say I get 3 movies we watch them over weekend, I mail 3 back on monday, they send email saying they recieved the movies and 3 movies will go out the next day. I'll have 3 more on Saturday. Thats my experience. Its all been good. We had one that came cracked and they sent me another one and just told me to send the other back within 30 days. I had one that never came once and they sent me another one. It showed up like 30 days later , lost in the mail I guess. There were a couple star trek dvds that were messed up and froze up alot. I can't really complain I mean things like that are bound to happen. We really like netflix alot.

The reason you aren't noticing it is because you aren't on their "list". If you're basically getting 3 movies for the week (watch them on the weekend, get the news ones around Tues or Wed, then watch them on the weekend), you simply aren't watching enough for them to care.

I personally watch at least a movie a night or sometimes 2. I always watch a movie as I fall asleep at night. I have a roomate who shares it with me, so we usually have a 24 or 48 hour turnover and after the 3rd week of using Netflix and BBonline our shipments slowed down dramatically. We used it for 3 months and ever since the 3rd week they kept us on the "throttle" list and delayed our shipments the entire time.

I have used both. I currently have Blockbuster and I like it better then netflix. I have never had a hard time with getting movies. And it usually only takes one day for them to get here or when I return them. I use the instore coupons to rent my son video games.I had alot of problems with netflix and not getting movies.Guess I am the minority here.

i believe there was a lawsuit, perhaps you should join it if you feel that strongly

anyway, sorry op :threadjac

The person asked, I provided them with useful information.

Throttling is a huge issue and the person who wants to know how the services are should know. I have used both for 3 months at a time. I was a customer and I was providing my experiences.

It's such a big issue that there is a class action lawsuit against Netflix right now under the condition that they are in breach of contract.

I have used both. I currently have Blockbuster and I like it better then netflix. I have never had a hard time with getting movies. And it usually only takes one day for them to get here or when I return them. I use the instore coupons to rent my son video games.I had alot of problems with netflix and not getting movies.Guess I am the minority here.

You're lucky. I am not allowed to use the coupons for video games anymore. I am cancelling my service by the end of the month because I have gone to the in-store plan, but I haven't been allowed to use my 2 coupons on games since the end of November.

I was told that its not good for games anywhere. Its a new company policy, so I am suprised you are allowed to.

phatferd, and the rest of you who uses either one. How many DVDs do you average a month? Of couse 3 at a time.

I get about 18 with both BBV and Netflix. So, I get more with BBV if I add the 2 in-store coupons.

With Netflix I used it for 3 months. I got 22, 17, 17.

BBonline, 21, 16, 16 these are without the 2 in-store so you can add 2.

I did the blockbuster in-store program for 1 month around Xmas last year (got a gift card for $20 and used it towards that so it was free for me b/c the first month was like $18 back then) and I got 35 movies. This was with 2 out at a time. I was between semesters at school and my work schedule was pretty lax at that time so I was able to watch a lot. A lot of times I would go back the same day and get new movies.

The reason you aren't noticing it is because you aren't on their "list". If you're basically getting 3 movies for the week (watch them on the weekend, get the news ones around Tues or Wed, then watch them on the weekend), you simply aren't watching enough for them to care.

I personally watch at least a movie a night or sometimes 2. I always watch a movie as I fall asleep at night. I have a roomate who shares it with me, so we usually have a 24 or 48 hour turnover and after the 3rd week of using Netflix and BBonline our shipments slowed down dramatically. We used it for 3 months and ever since the 3rd week they kept us on the "throttle" list and delayed our shipments the entire time.

I get 3 a week. I am sure I get 12 ot 15 a month. I can send on Monday and get back on Friday and Saturday every week. Thats more than enough for us. Ours are 70% tv shows and the rest are movies, ect.

The person asked, I provided them with useful information.

Throttling is a huge issue and the person who wants to know how the services are should know. I have used both for 3 months at a time. I was a customer and I was providing my experiences.

It's such a big issue that there is a class action lawsuit against Netflix right now under the condition that they are in breach of contract.

i highly doubt the op was interested in all this, they just wanted a general opinion on which is better

seems to me like you want a lot of something for nothing & no plan will meet your needs