sewing machine

kardomr

if anyone notices a sewing machine on sale before december 14th-ish, if you have time to post it, i'd love to know. you might see one i don't. dd7 has asked for one for her birthday and it's her #1 burning request. 

(a real, but basic machine. not a kids' machine.)

tia,

:)r

Walmart carries a very basic model Brother sewing machine that is under $80.

Its not fancy - but if you use quality thread, it will be more than adequate for a young person to start with.

Don't go with cheap thread! You'll find that it breaks and knots up underneath.

Brother 17 Stitch Sewing Machine, JX2517

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-17-Stitch-Sewing-Machine-JX2517/26805131

Im a janome fanatic. I got my first one 25 years ago. IT was at xmas and it was xmas special . Regualr 400 for 200. I now have a 1500 janome professiona. I sewed professionally many years. I cannot stress janome enough. Other machines are plastic throwaways according to my machine repairman. their parts are non replaceble. My granddaughters may get the little janome .Its only 59. on amaon. It's like the lilittle pixie plus that's in the shopko ad for 37. I can't decide. I know they are kids. And they need to learn . My sister bought a brohter at walmarst last year at black friday and its all plastiic. You really can't learn on a machine when the tension messes up on you. A drop in bobbin is a must. I have spent hours trying to fix a tension problem. 

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions.

The Janome is a little above my price point. Though, I'm sure you're right that it's a great machine.

I'm used to a Singer (so is dd since she uses mine now.) The Brothers seem similar. I hadn't thought to look at Walmart; thank you for that suggestion.

I've been watching this one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F7DPEQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2BBYAAJKNDM1C&coliid=I1RCWR55GC6Q6L&psc=1

Edited by kardomr

Anyone have any insight on embroidery machines? I've been really wanting one but am so unfamiliar with pricing/what features I should be looking for. I am just looking for a nice starter machine that I could learn and keep for a few years at least before upgrading to a pricier model.

Anyone have any insight on embroidery machines? I've been really wanting one but am so unfamiliar with pricing/what features I should be looking for. I am just looking for a nice starter machine that I could learn and keep for a few years at least before upgrading to a pricier model.

I just purchased the Brother PE770 for $216. I had never embroidered before so knew nothing about it. I do know you should look for something that embroiders at least a 5x7 design. I do have to say the Brother was very easy to figure out my first time as I knew nothing! Also look for where you can plug a thumb drive in to transfer pics to embroidery from your computer to the machine. Hope that helps a little.

Where did you find this deal at???   I have looked at these for 6 months and I really want one!!

Found it at J and O Fabrics online. Sometimes when they put out a coupon code it works on everything, not just fabric. Shipping was only $7.45 to boot!