think i screwed up..........

TnDimples

I wanted to buy my BF an xbox , not 360 just xbox, for christmas, to save money and to be able to buy him some games and wireless controller and wireless game adapter as well I bought a pre played system from ebgames. This thing will not read our games! OK I thought it was the pre played games i bought at first so went and exchanged the game. It still gives me a dirty disk error. I bought a brand new game and it gave me the same error. Researched on the internet and it seems to be a common error with some of the first xboxes that came out. Some of them wil not read the newest games. Anyway I have had it with this one and I am going to take it back and get a brand new one. I never see these on sale. They are always $179.99. I want to just go buy one here in a store local. if all the stores have them for $179.99 is there any one particular store that will sell it for less if I tell them I will buy from them if they will beat the price of $179.99?

GRRRR have been beating myself up tonight for just not buying a new one to begin with :rant:

It NEVER goes on sale cheaper. Only way to get it cheaper is to find it online, like Overstock, and see if they have any 10% coupon codes or such. That will save you about $15, but then you pay some shipping. Might do better to just buy it outright locally. Military stores ,NEX and AAFES, have no tax on thrie items if you are military. Hope it works out with EBgames.:(

My son has the "first" xbox and we bought him several games for Christmas. The new games don't work but all of his old ones do:mad: I am glad I read this because we thought he may need to replace the drive in the system. Does anybody know how we can get the new games to work? Will replacing the dvd drive in it fix the problem? You can get new drives on ebay for around $30-$40.

Thanks OP- Now we arent scratching our heads anymore. Out to look for a solution and if I find one, :crossfing I will pass it on to you.

Yes, replacing the dvd drive will fix the problem.

You can get them on ebay for 15-30.

A new one from an online store for about 45

Or you can just buy the laser for about 25 (a little tougher to change, have to open the dvd drive)

It is no harder to change it out than to swap one out in a computer.

This is the site I used, it has all the links you'll need.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox_dvd_repair.htm

Yes, replacing the dvd drive will fix the problem.

You can get them on ebay for 15-30.

A new one from an online store for about 45

Or you can just buy the laser for about 25 (a little tougher to change, have to open the dvd drive)

It is no harder to change it out than to swap one out in a computer.

This is the site I used, it has all the links you'll need.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox_dvd_repair.htm

I bought my husband a replacement drive last year, the xbox works like new. The "dirty disc" error was constant and awful. For $45 it was an easy fix. Bought the drive on e-bay, used the instructions on llamma.com. The worst part was all the micro-screws to remove to got to the drive.

Good luck!!

why not get a used or refurb i got a used one at eb games for 129.00 or 119.00 i think it was 119

LOL thats what I got now. From my research the dvd drives in the first xbox systems have trouble playing alot of the new games. Theres no way to get them to play except change the dvd drive out. I can still return mine since I have til the 12th.

Have you tried returning it? They are usuall pretty good about exchanging defective items.

Yeah I am gonna exchange it. I don't think its defective actually just needs a newer dvd drive to be able to read the new games. I think brand new is the way to go for me even if its gonna cost me more money, it will be less headache trying to get that thing to read the games.

I looked around. Best deal on brand new is $165.35 shipped thats using the $15 off $175 from Overstock.com

Not to bad, I paid $119 for refurbished, so with a refund with tax added I'll get $130.60 back. For $35 more I get brand new with a game.

THANKS for the replies :)

I bought an older one from my brother with18 games for $175. :yelclap: I'm pretty happy with my deal.

I didn't know this about the dvd drive. I will have to keep that in mind if new games won't play. I bought more games for Christmas, but I don't know if my son has tried them or not.

Thanks for the info! :)

Yeah I am gonna exchange it. I don't think its defective actually just needs a newer dvd drive to be able to read the new games. I think brand new is the way to go for me even if its gonna cost me more money, it will be less headache trying to get that thing to read the games.

If you bought it at EB games, they have a pre-played guarantee. Just take it back. Technically its not defective, but they will exchange it for you. No need to spend $$$ upgrading it! Just take it back. Good luck!