OT: Dell won't refund my money

mom2thegirls

There's a long story behind this, but I'll shorten it up. I ordered the wrong kind of ink, dell told me to refuse shipment and they would credit my visa credit card 3-5 days after they confirm the return. Dell confirmed the return a week later. That was two weeks ago and all I get are assurances from customer service workers (in India) that tell me Dell will credit me. Now they tell me its taking longer because of the holiday season. Has anybody had this kind of problem with Dell?:(

Is Dell customer service by phone any better? I wanted to have a written record so I've been contacting them by email.

Help?!?!?!?!

I'm surprised that you are having a problem with them. I've never dealt with them directly, but my aunt ordered ink for her printer, a black a color and a special photo ink one because that's what the book said she would need. Turns out she didn't need the photo ink one and when she called Dell so she could return it, they told her they would refund her for the photo ink and she didn't have to mail it back. She got her refund no problem.

I hope everything gets figured out soon!

I have had great curtomer phone service when I get someone in the US call centers. The e-mail c/s is slow and has been a problem for me in the past. This time of year is bust for them because they usually try to be helpful, they are not perfect but for that matter, neither am I. (...she says while looking at the messy room beyond the computer screen)

First, you can request an American contact if you are having a hard time understanding them, and they will transfer you to the US call center.

Second, keep complaining to Dell. They will usually hook you up with a nice discount coupon that you can use on future purchases.

DELL IS THE WORST COMPANY TO DEAL WITH! I HAVE 4 DELL COMPUTERS MY MOST RECENT WAS PURCHASED IN AUG. 05, WELL I HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE ONE I PURCHASED IN SEPT 04, THEY REFUSED TO HELP ME CONNECTED ME TO INDIA WHICH CHARGED ME OVER 200.00, TO WALK ME THROUGH THE STEPS! I DID GET THE COMPUTER FIXED, BUT I THEN CALLED DELL BACK AND VERY UPSET WITH THEM THEY REFUNDED THE MONEY! BUT I JUST FEEL YES THEY ARE GOOD COMPUTERS FOR THE PRICE BUT I DID NOT BUY THE 300.00 WE ARE TALKING MORE FROM 750.00 TO 1100.00! I KEEP SAYING THAT I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DELL BUT AS YOU CAN SEE I KEEP DOING SO! MY REFUND TOOK ONLY A DAY!

Guest all2tired
I've never dealt with Dell but I can tell you with any company they can and usually do take up to a month to credit you for returns

Dell computers are great until something goes wrong and you have to interract with their customer service. Then all hell breaks loose, and you're likely to get conflicting instructions, incomplete advice, or just lied to, like the OP.

For our future computing needs, we're going to sack up and pay the extra $$$ to get Toshibas.

I have to agree with the consensus. Dell's Customer Service is one of the worst I have dealt with. They like many other companies they are lowering their standard with the outsourcing of their call centers. Just another way corporate America is trying to save a buck at our expense.

Sorry to hear about your experience

Thanks for your replies. I snooped around in "My Account" and finally figured out how to check on "My refund status". It says its still pending. This is obviously going to take a while. Until then, they won't get any more money from me even though I'm totally out of ink.

Thanks again!

I never returned anything to Dell, but I have to tell you about this! Last year, I bought a camera from them for my daughter. Only when I received the order confirmation did I see that it might not ship until very close to Christmas. I sent them an email (not a complaining type) asking if they could guarantee I would receive the camera before Christmas, and if not, would I be able to cancel the order. They sent me a very nice email and a code for $100 off a $100 order! I couldn't believe it. I bought an MP3 that was on sale for $225, got it for $130-something after shipping. Then it turned out my husband had bought me an MP3 for Christmas, so he tricked me into not opening the one from Dell. I didn't want to return it to Dell because I didn't want to lose the $100 deal, so I sold it on eBay for $275! And guess what - the camera came well before Christmas! So I agree with mrn8: complain. Who knows what they will do for you!

My dell printer finally came that I got with my 499 laptop. It is total crap. First of all it came with no usb cable to hook it up to my computer. I had to use my other printers computer. Then when I tried to print it hardly printed what I wanted. I tried using the cleaning function but that didn't do any good. I wonder if the trial cartridges they sent were almost dry. Anyway, my epson of four years is still going on strong and a much better printer. Also it stinks that I can only buy cartridges from dell.com. Oh well it was free.

there IS another option, buy an ink refill kit. yes, they are messy, but... it works.

From what I hear, you can NOT refill the Dell inkjet cartridges. Like some other mfr's , the printer "reads" the cartridge and won't let you refill and reuse it.

Refilling carts isn't the sure thing it used to be.